PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep water at your desk?

sharmon202
July 29th, 2015, 04:03 PM
A friend said something in a letter that made me wonder this. I keep this at my desk filled with RO water. Comes in handy all the time.
How about you

VertOlive
July 29th, 2015, 04:40 PM
This is what I keep on my desk, it does contain some water! :rolleyes:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f261/sparrowe/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender-13.jpg (http://s49.photobucket.com/user/sparrowe/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender-13.jpg.html)

caribbean_skye
July 29th, 2015, 05:29 PM
The only liquid on my desk is a small (closed) container of sumi ink, theres really no space and if i were to chance it, it would most likely end up spilling everywhere. Anything I am drinking (water or hot tea) is usually sitting on the floor. What is RO water?

sharmon202
July 29th, 2015, 05:50 PM
This is what I keep on my desk, it does contain some water! :rolleyes:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f261/sparrowe/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender-13.jpg (http://s49.photobucket.com/user/sparrowe/media/Mobile%20Uploads/FullSizeRender-13.jpg.html)

Not exactly what I was asking but nice cup!!

Jon Szanto
July 29th, 2015, 06:04 PM
Yes, actually. I have a small jam jar that sits on a shelf with clear tap water. I'll dip a pen in it, if the nib has dried a bit, to start it up again. Or it's there if I want to flush a pen in a jiffy, etc. Just a habit I've gotten into.

manoeuver
July 29th, 2015, 06:54 PM
2 glasses. one for drinking and one for well, you know.

sharmon202
July 29th, 2015, 07:46 PM
The only liquid on my desk is a small (closed) container of sumi ink, theres really no space and if i were to chance it, it would most likely end up spilling everywhere. Anything I am drinking (water or hot tea) is usually sitting on the floor. What is RO water?

Reverse Osmosis. Water filtered through a membrane for purity, we have a Culligan system. Our water is ok, but we got a good deal so decided to invest. Like distilled but more.

sharmon202
July 29th, 2015, 07:48 PM

Not sure I know you well enough for understanding "you know", no offense meant.

caribbean_skye
July 29th, 2015, 07:58 PM

Reverse Osmosis. Water filtered through a membrane for purity, we have a Culligan system. Our water is ok, but we got a good deal so decided to invest. Like distilled but more.

Hehe, could not figure out what RO stood for, thanks! Drinking water in tis house is boiled and after cooled it goes through the brita pitcher filter. There are also several gallon jugs of distilled water here too, I have a small container of it close to my desk for use with gouache when Im writing with my dip pens.

VertOlive
July 29th, 2015, 08:30 PM
So wait. I might have missed a step here. What is the water for--cleaning pens or drinking?

manoeuver
July 30th, 2015, 04:47 AM

Not sure I know you well enough for understanding "you know", no offense meant.

I am shocked. Just shocked. Just kidding.

Pen stuff. second glass is for pen stuff.

Sailor Kenshin
July 30th, 2015, 09:52 AM
A friend said something in a letter that made me wonder this. I keep this at my desk filled with RO water. Comes in handy all the time.
How about you

Yep, sure do. Three, in fact. One shot glass for red-tone dippage, one teeny shot-size condiment jar for blue-tone dipping, and a clean pimiento jar for serious prior-to-cleanage soaking.

Of course my desk is at home, so I get to put whatever I want on it.

Waski_the_Squirrel
July 30th, 2015, 09:58 AM
I like to have water or coffee, but never keep it on the same table as a computer.

If we're talking about water for pen cleaning, then the answer is no.

inlovewithjournals
July 30th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Yes, near my desk, on the bookcase beside it, next to my ink cabinet. Two mason jars full at all times for pen cleaning. :)

tandaina
July 30th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Wow you all are organized. For pen cleaning i go to the kitchen, fill a short glass with water and clean the pen.

sharmon202
July 30th, 2015, 02:22 PM
So wait. I might have missed a step here. What is the water for--cleaning pens or drinking?

Water for many things for me, but not drinking. Sometimes I just need a drop or two on a cloth to clean ink off a barrel or a misplaced drop on the desk. Just all-round purpose but I do not use it to clean pens at my desk. Though to put some in a small more open container to do a temporary pre-soak of a nib is a good idea.

sharmon202
July 30th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Wow, just realized how crappy my desk looked, sorry about that. I am planning on making one sometime in the next year, developing the plan in my head, all I have so far.

Dragonmaster Lou
July 30th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Don't keep any water regularly at my desk, though I sometimes have a glass for drinking.

When I clean my pens, I basically use a plastic cup and do it near the kitchen sink.

Hawk
July 30th, 2015, 08:40 PM
No water on the desk. Only a go-cup with coffee from the local BP station. Gotta have the caffeine....

manoeuver
July 31st, 2015, 05:31 PM
No water on the desk. Only a go-cup with coffee from the local BP station. Gotta have the caffeine....
we gotta get you some better coffee.

writingrav
July 31st, 2015, 07:07 PM
Wow, just realized how crappy my desk looked, sorry about that. I am planning on making one sometime in the next year, developing the plan in my head, all I have so far.

Nah, it just looks well loved.

Hawk
July 31st, 2015, 07:26 PM
we gotta get you some better coffee.
Starbucks etc. is too expensive, besides there are none in corn country. Some years ago we got a stoplight instead of the four way stop signs and us locals still refer it to 'the four way stop'.
I justify spending less on coffee and more on fountain pens. Besides, a caffene fix doesn't have to cost a lot of money in order for me to function.

FredRydr
August 5th, 2015, 05:17 AM
Wow you all are organized. For pen cleaning i go to the kitchen, fill a short glass with water and clean the pen.

Ditto.

The water is limestone well water with an ultraviolet light for killing microbes. The light failed for a year when we didn't know it; we all lived and grew stronger. The taste is great, and all other waters (stream, well, city or bottled) are judged against it. And it even cleans pens!

Fred

Cob
August 5th, 2015, 08:16 AM
I have just drunk some! Water straight from the tap; to steal a line from a favourite song, "been drinking it all my life and I ain't dead yet" (same more or less, goes for the cigs actually).

My pens are lucky; they get cleaned in the kitchen in the same excellent water that I drink!

Cob

sharmon202
August 5th, 2015, 05:25 PM

Ditto.

The water is limestone well water with an ultraviolet light for killing microbes. The light failed for a year when we didn't know it; we all lived and grew stronger. The taste is great, and all other waters (stream, well, city or bottled) are judged against it. And it even cleans pens!

Fred

I grew up drinking hard old well water, minerals add some taste ever had Dasani? Thought IN water is not nearly as hard and limestone-y as KS. So I am understanding we increased our immunity as well then? Great! What would I have thought when I was a young adult if someone had told me the country would be buying bottles of water and tea to drink. Mom had that at home for almost free.

VertOlive
August 5th, 2015, 07:02 PM
Sending Hawk a Death Wish coffee sample as a tuck-in....:rolleyes:

cwent2
August 5th, 2015, 07:21 PM
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/540/20304279726_84d7545cbe_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/wWdJYo)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/wWdJYo) by Carl Wood (https://www.flickr.com/photos/99367074@N04/), on Flickr

Guilty - I also have a few liquid detergent measuring cups I use when cleaning pens and an old Mason Jar for waste water......

I know OCD

Cw

Lady Onogaro
August 5th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Yes, actually. I have a small jam jar that sits on a shelf with clear tap water. I'll dip a pen in it, if the nib has dried a bit, to start it up again. Or it's there if I want to flush a pen in a jiffy, etc. Just a habit I've gotten into.

Me, too. Well, it's not a jam jar--it's an old Lamy ink bottle with the pen wipes in the bottom.

Lady Onogaro
August 5th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Sending Hawk a Death Wish coffee sample as a tuck-in....:rolleyes:

I am going to have to find this for my husband. He mixes Community Coffee (a Cajun favorite), and expresso in a thing called a red eye. I'm a tea drinker, myself.

VertOlive
August 5th, 2015, 09:16 PM
I am going to have to find this for my husband. He mixes Community Coffee (a Cajun favorite), and expresso in a thing called a red eye. I'm a tea drinker, myself.

Well be warned. Death Wish can contain up to SIX times the caffeine in a regular cup, depending how it's brewed. :tea:

Hawk
August 7th, 2015, 01:59 PM

Well be warned. Death Wish can contain up to SIX times the caffeine in a regular cup, depending how it's brewed. :tea:

Maybe that is what Sweetnightingale need for a kickstarter.

Sailor Kenshin
August 7th, 2015, 02:34 PM

That would be almost as much as one cup of Bewley tea!

Scrawler
August 13th, 2015, 10:55 PM
Bewley's Irish Breakfast tea. One of the worlds best teas. VertOlive needs to take a look at Kick Ass or 454 HP. https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en/store/coffee

Avalona
August 16th, 2015, 09:32 AM
To clean my pens? Nah, I go to the bathroom to do that, even though maybe I should have some water for pen cleaning.

But for drinking, there's usually a mug of tea or coffee and/or a pint glass of unsweetened iced tea or flavoured water. But at least I have never accidentally drank the cleaning water, so that's good. :p

Armstrong
August 16th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Found that baby food jars make excellent water containers and nib soaking containers. So we get a jar, my dog loves the baby food, and I keep the jar.

Sandy Fry
January 6th, 2016, 05:15 AM
If I am sitting at my desk in my home office I usually have a cup of green tea with me ( usually Sencha ). Never clean my pens at my desk but I have a little round container ( about 2" in diameter ) with a lid that has a piece of wet sponge in it for those occasional hard starting pens or to wipe a nib on.

David

Paddler
January 6th, 2016, 06:54 AM
I keep a 1 - oz. Nalgene jar with distilled water on my desk. It is for rinsing dip pens and for grinding sumi ink.

I use my fountain pens enough that cleaning is not necessary.

ac12
January 9th, 2016, 03:07 PM
I never did, but not I am.
I have an old ink well that I fill with water, to dip the tip of the nib of a pen where the ink does not flow. The ink dried up in the nib/feed, and the dip liquifies the ink and gets the ink to flow, and I can write. This happens with pens that I leave too long between writing with them.

scrivelry
March 9th, 2016, 10:23 AM
Tell me more of this tea...

Titivillus
March 9th, 2016, 11:50 AM
The only thing you might think about is that RO water isn't quite a pH of 7 so there can be issues with metal parts becoming corroded. At work we checked the mohs of the water and had all pvc piping for the process pipe.

bluesea
March 11th, 2016, 10:48 AM
I like mason jars so I keep a 10 oz-er filled with alcohol on my desk shelves, for cleaning G nibs. Still looking for a 4oz mason jar, where I don't have to buy a whole box. For water theres the stainless sink in the kitchen.

distracted_mom
March 11th, 2016, 06:22 PM
I keep a small Pyrex cup partially filled next to my computer when I am writing, in case a nib has dried out a bit. I have this problem of thinking that all pens should be inked up all of the time, so the dry nib occurs once in awhile.
Bonus: My cats come visit me when they want a drink.