PDA

View Full Version : Sheaffer Peacock PIF

tiffanyhenschel
July 30th, 2015, 04:40 PM
I have been the beneficiary of inky benevolence many times over the years, and I want to pass the inky goodness along.
I have an opened (but mostly full) bottle of vintage Sheaffer Peacock that I would like to share with someone who needs it.
This PIF is open to anyone who has never tried a vintage ink before. Post a comment, and I will choose randomly on Saturday evening. (Continental US unless you want to pay postage.)

fqgouvea
July 30th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Neat! All of my inks so far have been bought new. Does vintage ink require any special care?

Count me in,

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

tiffanyhenschel
July 30th, 2015, 05:01 PM
Neat! All of my inks so far have been bought new. Does vintage ink require any special care?

Count me in,

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com
No, vintage ink doesn't require any more care than modern ink. In fact, some of them are even better because there weren't the stringent controls on what biocides could be used. My oldest ink is from the late 30s, and when I opened the bottle, it was as fresh as the day it was bottled.

sitsi
July 30th, 2015, 09:53 PM
Hi. Count me in.
Thanks!

naimitsu
July 31st, 2015, 06:14 AM
Cool! Count me in!

I've been very interested in seeing how Shaffer Peacock looks in real life. And I'm not sure if I've tried a vintage ink before. I have Montblanc Violet (old formulation), but I'm not sure if it would be considered "vintage'.

EDIT: Nevermind. I'll bow out as I just saw your sale post. Sent you a PM ;)

TerraNoir
July 31st, 2015, 06:29 AM
I would love to jump in. I have been dying to try Sheaffer Peacock since forever. I hope I am lucky enough to find a bottle of it when in DC. But I shall throw my hat in!

FredRydr
July 31st, 2015, 07:54 AM
I have a bottle of Sheaffer ink (gold) from this same era, and I never considered it old enough to call it "vintage." Sorta like Montblanc ink in the previous bottles; it's just discontinued, not vintage. Tiffany's peacock ink will be fine.

Vintage inks from the 50s, perhaps 60s and earlier can be hazardous to your pen's health, depending on what's been happening inside the bottle all those years.

Fred

P.S. Hmmm.... I wonder if Tiffany sent a bottle over to Laura a few weeks ago. Hmmm.

ac12
July 31st, 2015, 12:39 PM
oooooo nice ink.
But I already have 5 bottles of it, so I will pass.

gud luk guys.

Jon Szanto
July 31st, 2015, 12:44 PM
I have one of the larger bottles of the Turquoise and it is a nice ink. I don't often use blues that light or in that hue, but it works well, and I've found that if I just add one small bit of a dark blue - I've used Aurora Blue for this - in about a 10:1 ratio, it really is attractive. Very similar to Iroshizuku Kon-Peki.

Nice ink. Have fun, recipients! And good on Tiffany for offering this up.

VertOlive
July 31st, 2015, 02:39 PM
Gorgeous, tropical blue. This is an epic PIF folks, jump on it!

tiffanyhenschel
July 31st, 2015, 02:43 PM
I have a bottle of Sheaffer ink (gold) from this same era, and I never considered it old enough to call it "vintage." Sorta like Montblanc ink in the previous bottles; it's just discontinued, not vintage. Tiffany's peacock ink will be fine.

Vintage inks from the 50s, perhaps 60s and earlier can be hazardous to your pen's health, depending on what's been happening inside the bottle all those years.

Fred

P.S. Hmmm.... I wonder if Tiffany sent a bottle over to Laura a few weeks ago. Hmmm.
😉
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/31/c37671cae4b73663d03793e98b803f14.jpg

tiffanyhenschel
July 31st, 2015, 02:48 PM
I got a good deal on a case on eBay a few months ago. 😃 I saved enough for personal use, but with EF nibs, it will take me until I'm 80 to use that much.

necrotic
July 31st, 2015, 06:02 PM
I'm still very new and have never tried any vintage ink. Count me in! Thanks for your generosity!

ac12
July 31st, 2015, 06:57 PM
BTW, I have not tried it with Peacock Blue, but Turquoise will shade when used with a wet pen, like my Esterbrook. My hunch is PB might shade also.

tiffanyhenschel
July 31st, 2015, 06:59 PM
BTW, I have not tried it with Peacock Blue, but Turquoise will shade when used with a wet pen, like my Esterbrook. My hunch is PB might shade also.
Yes, it shades beautifully.

Laura N
July 31st, 2015, 07:51 PM

Fred

😉
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/31/c37671cae4b73663d03793e98b803f14.jpg

Carli is the best. :)

tiffanyhenschel
July 31st, 2015, 07:53 PM
She definitely has less green. :)

HoLmeslice
July 31st, 2015, 09:31 PM
Color me curious! I'd like to partake in this event, if not for my sake but on behalf of my wife. Since she likes Kon-Peki, this would be a nice little surprise for her (should I be so lucky to win, of course). Cheers, and good luck everyone!

ac12
August 1st, 2015, 12:17 AM
Yes, it shades beautifully.

Funny thing is, I used turquoise for a LONG time in a Parker 45, and did not know it shaded. Nice mono-toned ink line out of the P45.
Then I rotated in an Esterbrook to use the turquoise, and wow shading !!
So the pen makes a big difference.

tiffanyhenschel
August 1st, 2015, 07:33 PM
It's time!

We had five entrants:
Fqgouvea
Sitsi
TerraNoir
Necrotic
Holmeslice

I assigned each a number based on when he or she entered and then used random.org.

The winner is sitsi! Please message me with your address, and I'll get the ink to you in Monday's mail. :)

For the remaining four, I do have some set aside for personal use, and I would like to send each of you a sample. If you will message me your addresses, I will get samples to you, too.

Thanks, everyone!

sitsi
August 1st, 2015, 08:59 PM
Wow! I never win! Thank you!