PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Canberra, Australia

jtballistic
October 8th, 2012, 04:13 AM
Hello from the Capital of Australia - Canberra.

Up until six months ago, my trusted Lamy 2000 EF was the only fountain pen I had ever owned. It had served me through eight years as an investment banker, 11 years in Government service. I never thought I would need another pen.

However, six months ago, I was told by my fiance that my previous passion of collecting mechanical watches was getting out of hand and I was not allowed to buy anymore watches. She then purchased me a Pelikan M800. That's all it took, I'd found a replacement for watches but it's no way cheaper!

Cheers!

auto winder
October 8th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Welcome :)

JustDaveyB
October 8th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Welcome,

Fountain pen collecting can be just as addictive as collecting watches.

KrazyIvan
October 8th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Welcome to the darker side of collections. :D

Love the watch in your avatar.

Bogon07
October 8th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Jtballistic, hello and welcome to the FPG forum.

It seems you start collecting Fountain pens and then it explodes. You only need one then two then five then ten ......

Inks go the same way starting with just a black and maybe a nice blue and maybe something with nice shading.
You can combine your watch collection to test how long your inks take to dry.

I find journals and notebooks tend to accumulate at an alarming rate also.

earthdawn
October 8th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Welcome

As said before this could be just as bad if not worse then watch collecting lol

great to have you with us

Newjelan
October 15th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Hi, Greetings from Melbourne. 6 months ago I had 3 (admittedly high-end ones), now I have over 40 - mostly mid-priced pens. Your fiancée may have started you on something far more addictive than watches.

jtballistic
October 15th, 2012, 04:29 AM
Thanks everyone. I won't say it is more more expensive than watch collecting, but it definitely gallops along faster than watches. Back at the heights of watch collecting, I was probably buying four or five watches a year. The advantage of pens is that unless you're going super limited edition, you can buy one or two pens a month without getting your partner realising.

Newjelan
April 2nd, 2014, 02:12 AM
Welcome from Melbourne. Funny that... The first one isn't the problem once you have 2 then it quickly escalates. Welcome and enjoy the fun.

Newjelan
April 2nd, 2014, 02:13 AM
Oops, this came up on my "what's new" list, but it's 18months old. 😳

caribbean_skye
April 3rd, 2014, 06:10 AM
Very belated welcome. Hope youre still around.

85AKbN
April 4th, 2014, 09:36 AM
:welcome:

Jon Szanto
April 6th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Hi JT,

Welcome to the Fountain Pen Geeks forums! Smaller than the largest pen fora, larger than some, you'll find a comfortable community of pen-centric people here, with a growing body of posts, reviews, and group knowledge. Mostly, you'll find people who are enthusiastic about fountain pens, and fountain pen people.

Join in!

:bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce: :welcome: :bounce:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:
:bounce::bounce:
:bounce:

Regards,
Jon

Mags
April 6th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Jeph
April 7th, 2014, 12:23 AM
:welcome:

Wolverine1
April 7th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Welcome JT :):)
I barely remember living in Canberra, a place where I lived from the age of 9 months till I was about 5 years old.

VertOlive
April 11th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Well that strategy backfired! Welcome!