PDA

View Full Version : Pen Cleaning Tray

Armstrong
August 1st, 2015, 03:33 PM
I wanted to pass along something that has helped me in pen maintenance and cleaning. I use a Teflon coated cookie tray with raised edges. The Teflon coating makes it easy to clean up ink spills. The raised edges contain the ink within the cookie tray. I have even used the corners to pour ink back into the jar after a bad spill. Of course it is a good idea to keep the tray clean of dust and debris if you intend to use it this way.

The tray is also useful for keeping pen parts in one place when doing dis-assembly and assembly. The edges keep small bits from sliding or rolling away. In the case of an expensive pen you may want to place a cloth in the bottom while performing these tasks just to protect the finish.

In conjunction with the cookie tray I have several baby food jars. These I use to contain distilled water for cleaning and rinsing. I often mix water and cleaning fluid in a taller baby food jar for the purpose of soaking nibs, feeds, and other pen components.

The combination of the tray and jars helps speed my cleaning and maintenance tasks. The tray keeps me from unfortunate spills or loss of components. A cookie tray is large enough that you don't feel crowded while performing these tasks. The edges are low so they don't get in the way of your hands.

Well, today is clean and fill day so I better get busy...

Crazyorange
August 1st, 2015, 04:02 PM
Cool idea. Thanks for sharing.

Laurie
August 1st, 2015, 06:19 PM
Thanks Armstrong. Great idea. I am presently trying to master dip pens and modern copperplate writing which involves using several different types of ink (like Walnut ink which I make myself from crystals) Because I am constantly having to dip the nibs into the bottle I have had a few close calls of tipping over the bottle and I was actually thinking the other day that I should think of something that would catch the ink if I tipped over a bottle. I think I will buy a cookie tray next time at the shops.
Thanks for the great idea.

Armstrong
August 1st, 2015, 08:55 PM
I did a mass cleaning and refill session today. My hands are getting arthritic and I'm sort of a bull in a china shop anyway. So, spills tend to be the norm for me. Kind of a survival strategy idea lol.

sharmon202
August 2nd, 2015, 07:02 AM
I use the lid to a plastic container with a towel for transporting to and from kitchen sink and to let dry overnight. Approx. 6" x 12". Put the pen parts in, cover with towel, clean and dry ready to reassemble the next day Its a rather coarse kitchen towel, air flows easily thru it. 2057320574

Armstrong
August 2nd, 2015, 01:56 PM
Yes, that is very similar to what I do with the tray. Also what I do with drying pens going into the storage kit. Like minds I guess :) . The Teflon coating makes clean up easy, and I suspect the lid's plastic does the same.

I have large plastic fishing tackle box with those internal tray/boxes that I use to store inks, cleaning supplies, converters, parts and the like. I carry it and the tray into the kitchen on a clean up day. Saves a lot of running back for things I forgot to grab. Thinking of getting a wooden tool box with trays for pen storage. Line the trays with felt, etc. Being disabled I have to watch my budget so I'll probably get one from Harbor Freight and fix it up. Though this one look ready to go as is.

http://www.harborfreight.com/eight-drawer-wood-tool-chest-94538.html

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah294/armstr0ng/Pens/PenChestWood_zpsnikjzva8.jpg (http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/armstr0ng/media/Pens/PenChestWood_zpsnikjzva8.jpg.html)

sharmon202
August 2nd, 2015, 04:40 PM
I bought the Harbor freight box, love it. I ran the vacuum on it and it was ready to go. I did take the mirror out. Some ink bottles just missed fitting with it in.

ac12
January 9th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Thanks Armstrong. Great idea. I am presently trying to master dip pens and modern copperplate writing which involves using several different types of ink (like Walnut ink which I make myself from crystals) Because I am constantly having to dip the nibs into the bottle I have had a few close calls of tipping over the bottle and I was actually thinking the other day that I should think of something that would catch the ink if I tipped over a bottle. I think I will buy a cookie tray next time at the shops.
Thanks for the great idea.

Laurie
You need to make a bottle holder out of LEGO.
I have several for ink vials, and a large one for the Noodler's bottles.