PDA

View Full Version : 149 90th

Josephtibbetts
August 4th, 2015, 01:10 AM
So I'm look at this pen, I currently own a 1991 149, would it be worth it for me to get the 90th? Over something like a Visconti opera master red tide?

gwgtaylor
August 4th, 2015, 05:20 AM
Sure. A special edition 149 trumps any Visconti. Do you like your 91 though. It is the same pen.

gwgtaylor
August 4th, 2015, 05:21 AM
(I have a late 80s 149 and I bought the 90th and am happy to have both. One EF the other B)

jar
August 4th, 2015, 08:03 AM
Any excuse for a wider nib is worthwhile.

RuiFromUK
August 4th, 2015, 08:07 AM
Any excuse for a wider nib is worthwhile.

Absolutely. There are lovely OBBB nibs.

stub
August 4th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Even if I had the money, I am not sure I could get past the rose gold. I don't know why but I find rose gold to be ugly. But OBBB has got to be amazing. Goodness.

Josephtibbetts
August 4th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Even if I had the money, I am not sure I could get past the rose gold. I don't know why but I find rose gold to be ugly. But OBBB has got to be amazing. Goodness.

See, I personally like the rose gold and prefer the look over the regular yellow gold.

As to do I like my current 149, yes I do. But, it's been sitting in the case for 4ish months.

Laura N
August 4th, 2015, 12:14 PM

See, I personally like the rose gold and prefer the look over the regular yellow gold.

Me too! The 149 is far too large for me, but I did buy the 90th Anniversary LeGrand, and I put a review of that up in the FPG review section. The red gold trim is gorgeous, to me, though everyone's taste is different.

As to do I like my current 149, yes I do. But, it's been sitting in the case for 4ish months.

Then maybe another 149 isn't such a great idea? If you don't use it much. Maybe try the Visconti after all. Or a Montblanc LeGrand, which isn't as large. :)

Josephtibbetts
August 4th, 2015, 04:02 PM
See, the kicker is, is that I do love large pens. I don't know though.

reprieve
August 4th, 2015, 05:36 PM
What is it about your current 149 that is keeping you from reaching for it?

Is there something about it you don't like? Is it too flashy? Or maybe it's not bling-y enough? Too large? Too heavy? Too light? Too cigar-shaped? Is the nib not quite right? Does it put down a line that is too thick or too thin? Does the price point prevent you from using it every day? Do you find yourself reaching for your less expensive pens? Figure that out and go from there.

If you haven't inked your current 149 for months, you probably won't reach for the 90th Anniversary edition either. Try to analyze what you like and don't like about each pen that you already own and evaluate future purchases based on those preferences. If it's possible, go to a pen meet or a pen show or a local pen shop and put your hands on as many pens as you can to add as many reference points as you can.

Of course, if you're a collector, then this advice is not relevant. Collecting is another thing all together and we can move the thread in that direction if that's the case.

tandaina
August 4th, 2015, 05:40 PM

Yeah I don't like yellow gold at all. Even my wedding ring isn't yellow gold because I just find it meh. So the rose gold is really interesting to me. 149, sadly is too big for my hand, really huge pen. 146 though....

Josephtibbetts
August 4th, 2015, 06:04 PM
Honestly, I'd say, it's more I got new pens, so I swapped it out. I should put ti back in the rotation and use it tomorrow and see what I think of it.

Josephtibbetts
August 4th, 2015, 06:04 PM

Yeah I don't like yellow gold at all. Even my wedding ring isn't yellow gold because I just find it meh. So the rose gold is really interesting to me. 149, sadly is too big for my hand, really huge pen. 146 though....

Yeah, size isn't an issue for me, as I like big pens.

Josephtibbetts
August 5th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Well... that sums up that. I inked it, wrote with it for a couple of interviews I had today, and just don't like how it writes. So, for me, that rules out the 90th.

dannzeman
August 5th, 2015, 02:03 PM
What about its writing qualities don't you like? That can easily be changed to suit your preferences.

Josephtibbetts
August 5th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Dan, for me, I just find it scartchy, to the point my Waterman Carene and Twsbi vac 700 are smoother. That being said, this 149, is going away in a trade for a custom made pen.

Mags
August 18th, 2015, 03:10 AM
So I'm look at this pen, I currently own a 1991 149, would it be worth it for me to get the 90th? Over something like a Visconti opera master red tide?

The Opera Master pens are heavy and power fillers harder to service. That said an Opera Master is grail territory.

The LE Opera Master I have is my top 5 of pens. So is my MB149 Rose Gold BB nib and all.

In my opinion the Visconti holds more ink and travels well as you can seal the ink off from leaks.

The MB is less fatiguing as a long session writer and holds it value fairly well.

I say buy one of each and if budget is tight and you buy based on your love of either design.

Both nibs are good.

mhosea
August 18th, 2015, 07:51 AM
Dan, for me, I just find it scartchy, to the point my Waterman Carene and Twsbi vac 700 are smoother. That being said, this 149, is going away in a trade for a custom made pen.

Moot point then, but scratchiness is not an intrinsic quality of the pen. If you liked the pen but found it to be scratchy, then that could be fixed. Some of the more annoying pen issues are more or less equal opportunity offenders, adjustment issues that tend to be more about random happenstance than about brands, models, and what pens people really like.

Chrissy
August 18th, 2015, 12:39 PM

Do you think that you will use a 149 90th anniversary pen more if you already don't use your 1991 149 very much? It's exactly the same apart from the rose gold rather than the yellow gold

gwgtaylor
August 19th, 2015, 08:56 PM
Just posted a review of the 90th 149 on my blog if anyone is interested. There are photos and video at www.mycoffeepot.org

jar
August 20th, 2015, 07:29 AM
Can't be a Diplomat anymore. Montblanc lost the right to call it that years ago.

Remedial penmanship
September 18th, 2015, 09:09 AM
If you don't mind the size of a 149 the nib is a moot point, providing a) it was purchased new from an authorized seller; b) you know what nib you want; c) you won't mind it gone for awhile. I purchased a B nib 149 90th and found no variation, no stubbishness, just a fat line in all directions. Sent in for a OBBB swap within the 6 week exchange window, and it's one of my favorite writers. Skinny northeast strokes, fat southeast strokes, everything inbetween. With an appreciation for a Platinum Izumo and Danitrio Genkai, I don't find the pen too big at all. Yes, big, but not monstrous.

notsim
November 9th, 2015, 06:16 AM
Funny enough I sent my 149 for a O3B swap around the start of October at the Yorkdale store and still not back yet :(