PDA

View Full Version : Aurora?

Josephtibbetts
August 5th, 2015, 12:25 PM
How do people feel about aurora pens? Are they worth the money? Are they "better" Than some of their counter parts? What makes them unique? How is their QC?

FP Newbie
August 5th, 2015, 12:47 PM
I only own two of them. They are remarkable! I really like my Visconti's, but I think that the QC is much better with the Aurora's. Even the "F" nibs are super smooth with just a tad bit of feedback (which I like with a pen). Will eventually own a few more.

dannzeman
August 5th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Most of their designs I don't get along with, but I do love the Optima and the 88. Both have excellent balance and great Pistons. I've owned both at one time but (regretfully) sold them. Now I only own the 85th Anniversary and it's one of my top 3 pens (out of the 100 or so I own).

I can't speak much to their QC. I know eriquito owns an 88 and randomly found the section had broken off the barrel one day when he uncapped it.

Also, I work for the U.S. distributor of Aurora so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Laura N
August 5th, 2015, 02:10 PM
I only wish I worked for the US distributor of Aurora. :) Still I echo what Dan said. In fact, it's spooky, because my experience mirrors his on every single point. :)

I love the Aurora Optima. It is one of my top three pens, too. In fact I'm working on a post about the Optima right now.

Also, I had the exact same thing happen to me as Dan reports happened to Eric! One day I opened the pen case to fill an Optima, only to find it had cracked between section and barrel. Just on its own. So, if it's happened to two of us, it might be a known thing. The important thing is they fixed it without question, and pretty quickly, and I consider that excellent service. Nothing else has ever gone wrong on an Optima I've owned.

Jon Szanto
August 5th, 2015, 02:51 PM
I own two vintage 88P. I like the first I found a second (just different size nib). I don't know much at all about their modern pens, but these that I have really hit a sweet spot with me.

jar
August 5th, 2015, 03:04 PM
I have about a half dozen or so Auroras, some new and some old. All are quite nice and the only issue is that some of my Cartridge/Converter models made in the 50s & 60s use a cartridge style that is no longer available; however reusing old vintage cartridges and substituting Platinum brand cartridges/converters does work. In newer models I have a small size 88 and a Talentum.

IMHO one of the very best bargains out there right now are the Aurora Archivi Storici (http://www.giardino.it/pens/aurora/archivi.php) series built from parts made during the 50s or 60s. All that is left are the ones based on the Aurora 98. They are cartridge converter pens and use modern Parker or Aurora cartridges/converters. So far I have three of them and they have all been perfect from day one.

Josephtibbetts
August 5th, 2015, 04:07 PM
The reason I ask, is because I'm looking at the Optima 365 as my next "big pen purchase" And I'm honestly debating between that, the Visconti Opera Master, and the 149 90th.

Josephtibbetts
August 5th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Or, even possibly a Nakaya

Jon Szanto
August 5th, 2015, 04:28 PM
You seem to be picking pens by how much they cost, as the pens you are posting about in numerous threads are all rather different. Except for being pricey, that is.

inklord
August 5th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Seems like you're on a quest for a grail pen!?!
Do you seek these pens for their unique appearance/feel or to get a new, unique writing experience?
If for the first reason - any of those brands really deliver in the field of 'aura' (i.e., unique looks and feel factor). But as far as writers go, they are generally no 'better' than many well made, but much less expensive pens (especially from Japan or smaller US makers) when the manufacturer puts a special emphasis on nib tuning and nib configuration... so, don't expect too much of a really unchallenged writing experience coming from the nib-end of any of these luxury pens compared to more modest everyday writers. A well-made $200 pen that went through the experienced hands of a top-notch nibmeister, however...

fountainpenkid
August 5th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Aurora's midcentury flagships (88, 88k, 88p, 98) are excellent for their combination of a modern, hooded-nib aesthetic with oldschool nib flexibility. The quality on them got increasingly better with time: the original 88, for example, has a flawed clip and feed design and a bad cap plating, while the 98 is precision manufacturing and good engineering at its finest. Modern Auroras are apparently like most modern Italian pens: a hit or miss.

Laura N
August 5th, 2015, 05:07 PM
Modern Auroras are apparently like most modern Italian pens: a hit or miss.

In my experience the quality of the modern Aurora is first-rate, especially the Optima/88 and above. I would compare that pen (different body style, same nib and filling system) to a Montblanc or a Pelikan Souveran instead. In that you get a solidly built, well-made, well-engineered pen that feels like it will last a lifetime. And the service is outstanding. You don't hear a lot of complaints about Auroras for very good reason. I think they are among the finest made and most reliable pens out there.

Much better than the vintage 88 I had, which was flimsy but fun. :)

tandaina
August 5th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Or, even possibly a Nakaya

Always chose Nakaya. Always. (If I could afford it I'd never buy another pen brand. Seriously.)

Josephtibbetts
August 5th, 2015, 06:03 PM
Jon, I've narrowed my search for right now, down to the pens I've mentioned. This will be my first "High end" pen besides my 91' 149. So I'm just trying to gather as much information as I possibly can before I plop my money down.

earthdawn
August 5th, 2015, 06:13 PM
Ill have an opinion tomorrow when my first Aurora arrives... and what a beauty it is !!!!

Nakaya is an amazing brand and you can't really go wrong with any of them ... it's just hard for most as the starting price of entry is $450

Josephtibbetts
August 5th, 2015, 06:21 PM
It is a steep entry price, but from what I hear, they are awesome. I am looking heavily at the 365, honestly, because it reminds me of my first "expensive" pen, which was the 2014 Edison fall premier from Goulet. Except this is a piston which I LOVE.

VertOlive
August 5th, 2015, 06:29 PM
I've had the Aurora "Asia" on my Grail list since forever...it's just gone on sale over at Chatterly and I have an itchy trigger finger.

AltecGreen
August 5th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Vintage Aurora

Here is a vintage Aurora Superna with a stupidly flexible nib.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/289/19708446484_c21b92ae4d_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/w2yWvs)

FP Newbie
August 5th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Well the Optima 365 is one of the Aurora's I own. I have it in "F" and it writes wonderful. I have only owned it for about 3 weeks, so not enough time to make a good workmanship review. I enjoy a pen with smooth writing but with a bit of feedback, and this has it. It also writes very well and extra fine in reverse (which I can't say about any of the Visconti's except the Millionaire). I don't own any MB's or Nakaya's, so I can't really compare with those. I do own 7 Visconti's, and the only one close in writing smoothness and comfort is the Millionaire (although a bit heavy). I would try a couple different pens at a shop (if it's feasible), or talk to someone like Bryant at Chatterly's. He has been more than helpful with my purchases. Good luck on your decision, and hope you find what you're looking for.
-John-

Josephtibbetts
August 5th, 2015, 09:28 PM
Well the Optima 365 is one of the Aurora's I own. I have it in "F" and it writes wonderful. I have only owned it for about 3 weeks, so not enough time to make a good workmanship review. I enjoy a pen with smooth writing but with a bit of feedback, and this has it. It also writes very well and extra fine in reverse (which I can't say about any of the Visconti's except the Millionaire). I don't own any MB's or Nakaya's, so I can't really compare with those. I do own 7 Visconti's, and the only one close in writing smoothness and comfort is the Millionaire (although a bit heavy). I would try a couple different pens at a shop (if it's feasible), or talk to someone like Bryant at Chatterly's. He has been more than helpful with my purchases. Good luck on your decision, and hope you find what you're looking for.
-John-

The nearest "Pen shop" Is a Mont Blanc botique, so... xD Not going there. I went in there once and I got looked at like "Who let the riff raff in here?" Despite the fact I had 4 grand in my pocket to buy a pen.

KBeezie
August 6th, 2015, 12:36 AM
The Aurora Afrika I have, has probably the best nib I've used so far, writes immediately wherever it touches, even though it has a dry-leaning flow it still puts down ink without skipping and has a feedback similar to a hard pencil without scratch or adverse feeling. Firmer but pleasant to use. The body itself (which I assume is nearly identical to the Aurora Optima outside of the trim) is comfortable, about the same height and thickness as my Pelikan M640, but has a nib with the physical size of an M800's nib, the grip area is larger than both the Pelikan M640 and M805, but is probably half the weight, and has a very nicely visible ink window.

http://i.imgur.com/yTKecdk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/w2YqbMA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/covCYxN.jpg

The nibs also happen to be easily unscrewed and interchangeable much like Pelikan, and the Piston seems to hold a decent amount.

Josephtibbetts
August 6th, 2015, 11:51 AM
I think Aurora is definitely a contender

earthdawn
August 6th, 2015, 04:12 PM
OK so mine just landed here in NY and I gave it a quick once over and cleaning. Then loaded it up with some Aurora Blue, one awesome blue ink even if it is a purple/blue, and i can confirm that the fine nib in mine is not toothy at all but wonderfully smooth with the slightest bit of drag to give it some feel. This is a heck of a nib and I am impressed !!! Ill be getting a review together asap.

Laura N
August 6th, 2015, 04:37 PM
I put up my Optima review, here (http://fountainpenfollies.com/2015/08/06/pen-review-aurora-optima/), at my new blog thingy, if anyone is interested.

There is also an earlier post there about the Mystery Ink that compares Aurora Blue ink to the MI-10 inks.

gregamckinney
August 6th, 2015, 04:40 PM
Based on my personal experience, I will always buy an Aurora over a Visconti or a MB. I have had nothing but excellent experience with the five Auroras I've owned- admittedly all Optima family pens. I currently have a Sole that I would be very reluctant to part with (...from my cold dead hands...) I've never had the pleasure of owning a Nakaya, but I've tried several, and they seem VERY nice. If I had to purchase one or the other next, I'd go with Nakaya, but only because I don't own one.
I don' think you can go wrong- at all- with an Aurora.

Best Regards, greg

earthdawn
August 6th, 2015, 04:59 PM
I put up my Optima review, here (http://fountainpenfollies.com/2015/08/06/pen-review-aurora-optima/), at my new blog thingy, if anyone is interested.

There is also an earlier post there about the Mystery Ink that compares Aurora Blue ink to the MI-10 inks.

AWESOME review !!!

That was a great read with excellent detail and pictures of your stunning collection.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Josephtibbetts
August 6th, 2015, 06:26 PM

Can I inquire, Would you possibly be able to get me a secton measurment on the optima? :)

Josephtibbetts
August 6th, 2015, 06:31 PM
I do believe that pending the section diamiter , I have made my choice xD

FP Newbie
August 6th, 2015, 06:39 PM
The Optima 365: the length is about 2" from nib tip to section threads, with a 1" nib length. Section diameter is .40-.50" Hope this helps. Good luck with an awesome pen.
-John-

KBeezie
August 6th, 2015, 08:24 PM
On the Aurora Afrika (measuring with a digital micrometer) , assuming the section/nib/etc is all the same as the Optima :

10.4mm at the shortest diameter.
11.8mm at the front (by the nib)
12.7mm on the threads

28mm from neck of section down to the section threads
25mm from neck of section down to where the ink window steps up to the barrel (since threads are comfortable enough to hold onto).

8.3mm wide on the nib at the wings
21.8mm from the base of the nib to the point when installed

101mm from the neck of the section down to the tail of the pen (not posted)

In inches

0.409" at the shortest diameter.
0.464" at the front (by the nib)
0.5" on the threads

1.01" from neck of section down to the section threads
0.98" from neck of section down to where the ink window steps up to the barrel (since threads are comfortable enough to hold onto).

0.32" wide on the nib at the wings
0.858" from the base of the nib to the point when installed

3.96" from the neck of the section down to the tail of the pen (not posted)

Josephtibbetts
August 6th, 2015, 09:35 PM
The Optima 365: the length is about 2" from nib tip to section threads, with a 1" nib length. Section diameter is .40-.50" Hope this helps. Good luck with an awesome pen.
-John-

Thank you very much.

Jon Szanto
August 6th, 2015, 10:02 PM

Well, I'd say that is just about everything you could ask for from a pen review. Well done.

KBeezie
August 6th, 2015, 11:30 PM

What would be nice is showing write sample of a Pelikan or two next to the Aurora to demonstrate how much of a difference there is between say Pelikan and Aurora. For example the 18K "M" on my Afrika appears to me what I would expect of a Western EF (not a Western F) It is roughly identical to my Lamy 2000 in EF, and about 2 size down from the 18K M in my Pelikan M640 (which makes the Lamy 2000 about right for the EF, along with every other western EF I used).

Which is of course confusing because nibs.com claims their tipping chart is accurate (Though it's mainly the physical tipping size, not what it puts down), which makes it identical to typical western sizing (something that's not reflected on my Afrika). Not to say it's bad, just unexpected when I receive an "M" marked nib and get an EF (though I was told before hand that it was rather dry, just figured they meant it was so dry that an M wrote much less, but it's decent flow and staying EF).

:P Nice review of so many Optimas. I like the old style mixtures better in terms of body colors.

Laura N
August 7th, 2015, 06:44 AM

What would be nice is showing write sample of a Pelikan or two next to the Aurora to demonstrate how much of a difference there is between say Pelikan and Aurora. For example the 18K "M" on my Afrika appears to me what I would expect of a Western EF (not a Western F) It is roughly identical to my Lamy 2000 in EF, and about 2 size down from the 18K M in my Pelikan M640 (which makes the Lamy 2000 about right for the EF, along with every other western EF I used).

Which is of course confusing because nibs.com claims their tipping chart is accurate (Though it's mainly the physical tipping size, not what it puts down), which makes it identical to typical western sizing (something that's not reflected on my Afrika). Not to say it's bad, just unexpected when I receive an "M" marked nib and get an EF (though I was told before hand that it was rather dry, just figured they meant it was so dry that an M wrote much less, but it's decent flow and staying EF).

:P Nice review of so many Optimas. I like the old style mixtures better in terms of body colors.

Oh thank you. But I have to say that's not my experience, so I couldn't say that. :) Yes I've found that Aurora nibs run narrower than typical European nibs. And yes Pelikan nibs do run wider. But I have three medium Optima nibs, and mine aren't extra-fines by any stretch. If they were than wouldn't that make my fine Optimas into extra-extra fines? Which they aren't. I am a huge fan of very narrow nibs, so believe me that I would be thrilled to get a medium that's like an extra-fine. :) But it just isn't the case for me.

For example, I am sure that my Aurora medium nibs all are wider than my current Lamy 2000 fine nib, which is a very standard fine nib for the Lamy 2000. I've had four different Lamy 2000 fine nibs -- or five -- over the years, and I have had variation in the Lamy 2000 nib as well. Within a range.

And that is normal in my experience. I have found that there is a range in every single brand's hand-ground nibs. Including Aurora, Pelikan, Lamy and Sailor. But what I'm describing as a range is having a nib be a little bit wider or narrower than others from the same brand with the same width marking. One can't really expect a Pelikan medium to be the same as another brand's medium. Compare a Visconti extra-fine to a Sailor extra-fine, and you'll feel you're on different planets.

I suspect that some of your experience with your specific nib must reflect how yours is set up, the inks you are using and of course the width of the other nibs you are using as comparisons. For example, I remember that you modified your Lamy 2000 extra-fine nib yourself because you thought it was too narrow and dry for your tastes. With your Aurora, if you aren't happy with it, maybe you could talk to the dealer, if you bought it from a dealer, or send it to a nibmeister?

catbert
August 8th, 2015, 02:23 AM
Much better than the vintage 88 I had, which was flimsy but fun. :)

My vintage 88 feels pretty solid, though I feel I have to cap it carefully to avoid catching the nib (a springy EF).

My other Aurora is a 98-based Archivi Storici, as recommended by jar. It’s matte black and gold, which somehow makes it blingier than the shiny black and gold 88. The finishing on the cap is a little rough.

I’ll probably pursue more vintage Auroras. The design of the modern ones doesn’t do anything for me.

KBeezie
August 8th, 2015, 03:02 AM
I suspect that some of your experience with your specific nib must reflect how yours is set up, the inks you are using and of course the width of the other nibs you are using as comparisons. For example, I remember that you modified your Lamy 2000 extra-fine nib yourself because you thought it was too narrow and dry for your tastes. With your Aurora, if you aren't happy with it, maybe you could talk to the dealer, if you bought it from a dealer, or send it to a nibmeister?

Here's a write sample for clarification, and it was second hand, and I have enough nibs of a variety of gamuts to notice when things aren't quite what they're said to be. But finding actual comparative write samples out in the wild seem to be nearly non-existent for Aurora for some reason.

http://i.imgur.com/404TcxL.jpg

That's a No.12 Rhodia pad by the way.

Empty_of_Clouds
August 8th, 2015, 04:51 AM
That Aurora sample looks medium to me , and the Lamy 2000 looks to write fatter than I would expect to see from a supposedly EF nib (Platinum is closer). Just pulled out my vintage Aurora 88P. It has a fine nib and it writes comparatively finer than the Aurora in the example shown above.

Look at the variables. Different pens, different feeds, different nibs, different inks. The only static element here is the paper. I wouldn't like to draw a firm conclusion about nib widths under these conditions personally.

KBeezie
August 9th, 2015, 01:16 AM
That Aurora sample looks medium to me , and the Lamy 2000 looks to write fatter than I would expect to see from a supposedly EF nib (Platinum is closer). Just pulled out my vintage Aurora 88P. It has a fine nib and it writes comparatively finer than the Aurora in the example shown above.

Look at the variables. Different pens, different feeds, different nibs, different inks. The only static element here is the paper. I wouldn't like to draw a firm conclusion about nib widths under these conditions personally.

There had been other comparison and other inks tried and the perception may be due to the image itself being larger (as it's a Rhodia No.12 pad), the Platinum EF is a Japanese EF, the Lamy EF is what I'd call a true Western EF compared to most other western pens I've used over the last year. The Pelikan M640's Medium runs ever so slightly smaller than most of the Western Mediums.

Didn't you give up on the whole pen hobby?

Jon Szanto
August 9th, 2015, 01:27 AM

Sounds like the classic line "Have you stopped beating your wife?" I mean, what's the point of that?

KBeezie
August 9th, 2015, 01:48 AM

Sounds like the classic line "Have you stopped beating your wife?" I mean, what's the point of that?

Only mentioned it cuz I recalled the 'goodbye' sale he had not too long ago.

Jon Szanto
August 9th, 2015, 01:58 AM

I know I don't always follow threads to the end, so I understand, but I think you missed this:

Thanks guys!

Yes, I am not and have never been interested in making money. Minimizing losses perhaps, that's about all. Since I mentioned about not wanting to feed the sharks anymore I've had several offers from sharks! Some people just do not understand how exploitative they are, or maybe they do.

EDIT: to clarify, it is the collecting part that I want no part of anymore. I will still use fountain pens daily, but only a small number of personally favoured ones.

carlc
August 9th, 2015, 02:55 AM

It was still unnecessary and rather unfriendly.

Empty_of_Clouds
August 9th, 2015, 03:05 AM
Indeed. The 'saying goodbye' part was referring to fare-welling the pens in the sale, nothing more. As in "It's time to say goodbye to these pens".

Anyhoo, I still think the writing sample does not give a clear idea of nib fineness. The Platinum EF sample is about the same as my Eversharp Skyline. And that's a Western pen. I noted the #12 pad, took that into consideration at the time. Your Aurora puts down the same line as my vintage one - and it's a fine. Besides which, a sample of one has no significance. Laura's experience extends far beyond that population number.

As stated, too many variables.

KBeezie
August 9th, 2015, 04:38 AM
Indeed. The 'saying goodbye' part was referring to fare-welling the pens in the sale, nothing more. As in "It's time to say goodbye to these pens".

Anyhoo, I still think the writing sample does not give a clear idea of nib fineness. The Platinum EF sample is about the same as my Eversharp Skyline. And that's a Western pen. I noted the #12 pad, took that into consideration at the time. Your Aurora puts down the same line as my vintage one - and it's a fine. Besides which, a sample of one has no significance. Laura's experience extends far beyond that population number.

As stated, too many variables.

Eversharp Skyline is also a vintage pen from the 1940s (assuming you're talking about one like the one you had for sale). Their sizing tend to vary, as such vintage EF tends to be closer to Japanese EF I've found. My Parker 75 with a '63' 14K EF is nearly identical to the Platinum EF. But a Goulet/Jowo/Monteverde/Franklin-Christoph/Waterman/Pelikan/Lamy/Sheaffer/Parker... modern EF is about a size larger.

KBeezie
August 9th, 2015, 04:47 AM
Pulled out my Environotes Sugarcane Notebook, since I Recall the very first page I have several lines filled in (ie: whenever I inked a pen over the last year, I'd write in a line so I can refer back to how it wrote), on that page, there are three inked with Tsuki-yo , A Visconti Divina Desert Springs LE with an 18K EF Nib, and a Pelikan M400 with a 14K M, and the Pelikan M640 with the 18K M. I wrote with the Aurora at top, as well as writing the word 'Aurora' next to each line of the other pens with Tsuki-yo inked. That narrows it down to only the nib being the factor difference.

http://i.imgur.com/8SBlSLJh.jpg

Link to the full 300DPI scan : http://i.imgur.com/8SBlSLJ.jpg

Empty_of_Clouds
August 9th, 2015, 04:55 AM
I think you are kind of making my point for me, if you'll pardon the pun.

Let's take your Aurora with the "M" nib. On the basis of that single example you have stated a belief that modern Aurora nibs run far finer than they aver. Laura has said they run finer but not by that much, and we know she has a collection of very beautiful Auroras. I mean no disrespect by this, but I think it is more likely, statistically speaking, that Laura is correct. Unfortunately I don't have a modern Western pen with a non-edged nib, so I couldn't directly compare and had to look at the couple of vintage things I do have.

Just made me realise. I don't have any modern pens beyond a Parson's Essential. And that one has a CI nib. Oh well, when all the vintage stuff is gone perhaps I shall splash out on something modern and expensive, like a Pilot 92 or something.

KBeezie
August 9th, 2015, 05:09 AM
And this on Rhodia with 4 other pens inked with Tsuki-yo (M400 with 14K M, M640 with 18K M, Bexley Fine, Platinum 14K FM).

http://i.imgur.com/Er5vsOTh.jpg

300DPI : http://i.imgur.com/Er5vsOT.jpg

If that's on par with their normal Medium, I'd have to wonder about their EF which would be finer than even the Japanese EF.

Empty_of_Clouds
August 9th, 2015, 05:25 AM
Nobody is saying that YOUR Aurora is not running EF despite being labelled "M". What I am saying is that this single example does not automatically imply that ALL Aurora "M" nibs are like this - a point that Laura's contribution confirms - or that other sizes of Aurora nibs will follow the same pattern, which you are also assuming based on really nothing at all.

Occam's Razor: your Aurora is not the norm.

reprieve
August 9th, 2015, 08:27 AM
I have several Auroras--four Optimas and one Talentum--and my experience has been the same as Laura's. The nibs tend to run finer but not that much finer. I have F, M, B, stub, and italic nibs from Aurora, and I would say that my nibs are "true-to-size." For example, my Aurora fine nib is not quite as fine as my Japanese fines but it's also not as wide and wet as my Pelikan fines. My Aurora broad nib is about as broad as my Pelikan B nibs, but it was set up to have extra juicy flow. While I would say that Aurora nibs tend to run slightly finer than most other Western nibs, they are not comparable to Japanese nibs. A Sailor or Pilot or Platinum XF nib will be much finer than a typical Aurora XF.

There is bound to be some variation with Aurora nibs because they are hand-ground. It looks like your particular nib writes on the dry side as well, which is going to make the line seem even narrower. Perhaps your nib slipped through. Perhaps it's mislabeled. You bought it used, yes? Perhaps someone else set it up to write drier and finer. Who knows. To me, the only question is this: Do you like the way it writes? If so, great. Write with it and enjoy it. If not, have the flow and smoothness adjusted to your tastes.

KBeezie
August 9th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Nobody is saying that YOUR Aurora is not running EF despite being labelled "M". What I am saying is that this single example does not automatically imply that ALL Aurora "M" nibs are like this - a point that Laura's contribution confirms - or that other sizes of Aurora nibs will follow the same pattern, which you are also assuming based on really nothing at all.

Occam's Razor: your Aurora is not the norm.

PS: I was never saying that all Aurora M's were the same but seeking confirmation of if it was just me, or if it's common. Your initial reply came off as , it's not EF because I don't seem to have the capability of noticing sizes and not using all the same factors.

There is bound to be some variation with Aurora nibs because they are hand-ground. It looks like your particular nib writes on the dry side as well, which is going to make the line seem even narrower. Perhaps your nib slipped through. Perhaps it's mislabeled. You bought it used, yes? Perhaps someone else set it up to write drier and finer. Who knows. To me, the only question is this: Do you like the way it writes? If so, great. Write with it and enjoy it. If not, have the flow and smoothness adjusted to your tastes.

The problem I'm having is trying to figure out their exact sizing, because I been offered a nib swap, the only problem is I haven't even gotten back a response from Kenro in regards to what their sizes actually run. I don't want to swap to a 'B' with the expectation that it's just a size up from the "M" I have and then end up with something that actually feels like a 'B' by western sizing when I just want something either 'F' or 'M' in western sizing. Also it's not that dry, as it actually shades on the heavier side with Tsuki-yo, it was drier before but made it not so much before, the write samples are current.

Empty_of_Clouds
August 9th, 2015, 06:32 PM
PS: I was never saying that all Aurora M's were the same but seeking confirmation of if it was just me, or if it's common. Your initial reply came off as , it's not EF because I don't seem to have the capability of noticing sizes and not using all the same factors.

And both Laura and Reprieve have answered your query to a more than satisfactory degree.

Oh, and my apologies if you misunderstood what I had written.

Schmitty
September 8th, 2015, 10:46 AM
Hi there I'm new to this saw your post and had to reply. I have the exact same 365 F number 253 out of 365 and love. Cheers