PDA

View Full Version : My second Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Marietta has just arrived.

migo984
August 6th, 2015, 11:18 PM
I love my Vintage Green Marietta so much I just had to have another one. I like the forthcoming new Tiger Red colour (black with subtle red swirly lines), due for sale very soon, but really wanted it in the non-standard blue-violet colour, used for the current Model 65. Seth, at F-C, managed to get one for me. Despatched on Friday, delivered in Australia on Tuesday. He's a champ :)

And here it is; it's gorgeous...... it has more of a violet tinge than the pics suggest.

(Those aren't scratches on the finish - I just didn't polish it properly for the shots).

Lady Onogaro
August 6th, 2015, 11:24 PM
Oh, how I want one!

migo984
August 6th, 2015, 11:49 PM
Oh, how I want one!

It really is a stunning colour. Like the blue in a stained glass window. If only I could have grabbed one of the two dark red/burgundy 20s they had up for sale; my joy would be unbounded :-)

Lady Onogaro
August 6th, 2015, 11:55 PM
Oh, how I want one!

It really is a stunning colour. Like the blue in a stained glass window. If only I could have grabbed one of the two dark red/burgundy 20s they had up for sale; my joy would be unbounded :-)

Those were really nice, too! :-) I think, though, your pictures show off the blue better than F-C's. I had been looking at the 65, and the blue-violet did not grab me the way your pictures of the Marietta did.

Zhivago
August 7th, 2015, 12:01 AM
That is a beautiful blue. Where are the pictures of the Tiger Red one?

migo984
August 7th, 2015, 12:08 AM

I don't think they're on the web-site. I was sent a photo of a tray of Mariettas that were offered at the Miami Pen Show, in an email. The Tiger Red was one of them. Seth said last week that sales of the new black/red are imminent - next week I think, so keep an eye on their site.

migo984
August 7th, 2015, 12:09 AM
Oh, how I want one!

Those were really nice, too! :-) I think, though, your pictures show off the blue better than F-C's. I had been looking at the 65, and the blue-violet did not grab me the way your pictures of the Marietta did.

The credit goes to Murfie. He always takes fab pen photos; it helps that he uses a light-box.

Crazyorange
August 7th, 2015, 05:24 AM
Beautiful:). I'm wondering who sent you a pic of the tray pens at a show??? I would tell them off from your wallet ;)

Tracy Lee
August 7th, 2015, 11:45 AM

I don't think they're on the web-site. I was sent a photo of a tray of Mariettas that were offered at the Miami Pen Show, in an email. The Tiger Red was one of them. Seth said last week that sales of the new black/red are imminent - next week I think, so keep an eye on their site.
One of them offered in Miami was a pinkish color with an amazing black ribbon in it, edged with white. They only had three of those and a friend had bought one and posted pictures . . . I am not a pink person but I just was drawn to the material. Called Tuesday and they had just one left. I went clipless, I will pick it up in DC next week and decide on my Masuyama nib as well. Very excited!

pengeezer
August 7th, 2015, 12:46 PM

Look in this forum for the post "Franklin-Christoph Model 20-Vintage Green" .

John

migo984
August 7th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Here's the tray from the Miami Show, sent to me by Seth from F-C. Plus a close-up of the new Red Tiger colourway. I was initially offered either a pink or purple swirly one, as they had one of each left, but they're not to my taste. I just really like the solid colours on this style of pen - they seem to suit the minimalist vintage design better. But, as in all things, different strokes & all that jazz :)

Tracy Lee - you will enjoy your Masuyama. I had one in a F-C Model 27. I didn't like it at first, very scratchy, with a catchy edge, but it's softened up and settled down beautifully with use. I guess that's one of the benefits of an 18k nib. Unfortunately I really don't get on with the #27, so that nib now lives very happily indeed in a Delta Vintage.

I bought a stock steel 1.1mm calligraphy nib on my blue Model 20. It is very impressive. It was a "strategic" buy: I prefer fine nibs, so the 1.1 was swapped and is nicely settled in a Model 19 and my Model 20 has a nice fine italic stock steel nib (the ones F-C used to sell but don't anymore).

Enjoy your Marietta, Tracy Lee. I'm sure you will.:)

pengeezer
August 7th, 2015, 06:57 PM
[QUOTE=migo984;140984]Here's the tray from the Miami Show, sent to me by Seth from F-C. Plus a close-up of the new Red Tiger colourway. I was initially offered either a pink or purple swirly one, as they had one of each left, but they're not to my taste. I just really like the solid colours on this style of pen - they seem to suit the minimalist vintage design better. But, as in all things, different strokes & all that jazz :)

Tracy Lee - you will enjoy your Masuyama. I had one in a F-C Model 27. I didn't like it at first, very scratchy, with a catchy edge, but it's softened up and settled down beautifully with use. I guess that's one of the benefits of an 18k nib. Unfortunately I really don't get on with the #27, so that nib now lives very happily indeed in a Delta Vintage.

I bought a stock steel 1.1mm calligraphy nib on my blue Model 20. It is very impressive. It was a "strategic" buy: I prefer fine nibs, so the 1.1 was swapped and is nicely settled in a Model 19 and my Model 20 has a nice fine italic stock steel nib (the ones F-C used to sell but don't anymore).

pengeezer
August 7th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Here's the tray from the Miami Show, sent to me by Seth from F-C. Plus a close-up of the new Red Tiger colourway. I was initially offered either a pink or purple swirly one, as they had one of each left, but they're not to my taste. I just really like the solid colours on this style of pen - they seem to suit the minimalist vintage design better. But, as in all things, different strokes & all that jazz :)

I'm glad I picked up the red one at the Miami Pen Show. Being a guy,I'm not into pink and the purple,IMHO,isn't
dark enough. The "cracked ice" pattern is unappealing,so that leaves only the red and the blue(which color I didn't
see at the pen show). It is nice,however,to see F-C branching the 20 into different colors.

John

Bogon07
August 7th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Migo congrats on your Greens new partner; they must make a handsome couple.

The Red Tiger colourway is very appealing and goes well with the classic look of the pen......I may have to consider adding one to my collection.
Mrs Bogon thought the pink swirls looked ok too.

inklord
August 7th, 2015, 08:45 PM

Wow. To me that does not even look like F-C... but it's great to see them break out some new resins (though I'll probably still prefer their more 'quiet' colors - still love my Vintage Green)

migo984
August 7th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Wow. To me that does not even look like F-C... but it's great to see them break out some new resins (though I'll probably still prefer their more 'quiet' colors - still love my Vintage Green)

I agree. Apparently they make the swirly colours specifically to suit Miami Show buyers' preferences. I do like the more muted colours myself too.

migo984
August 7th, 2015, 09:25 PM
Migo congrats on your Greens new partner; they must make a handsome couple.

The Red Tiger colourway is very appealing and goes well with the classic look of the pen......I may have to consider adding one to my collection.
Mrs Bogon thought the pink swirls looked ok too.

Don't forget to post photos if you do get one 😊

inklord
August 8th, 2015, 07:43 AM

I agree. Apparently they make the swirly colours specifically to suit Miami Show buyers' preferences. I do like the more muted colours myself too.
I've never been to Miami, but that seems to fit... somehow? :)

Lady Onogaro
August 8th, 2015, 03:22 PM
I normally love purple, but I think the blue is a better fit for this style of pen (I like the green and black, too). I do like the pink and black version and could be quite tempted by that.

vistafan
September 4th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Beautiful pen! I am so tempted to order one.

Lady Onogaro
September 4th, 2015, 02:21 PM
I caved on the purple clipless one. :)

inklord
September 4th, 2015, 03:24 PM
They are truly amazing pens! No other pen has ever felt quite this good in my hands!

writingrav
September 4th, 2015, 06:01 PM
I bought the pocket edition #20 in DC. I haven't even seen it go up on their website, but it is terrific.

inklord
September 5th, 2015, 04:18 AM
I bought the pocket edition #20 in DC. I haven't even seen it go up on their website, but it is terrific.

Same as the regular model 20, only shorter?

writingrav
September 5th, 2015, 05:19 AM

Yes. It's a Beut. Set up as an eyedropper.

inklord
September 5th, 2015, 12:30 PM

It is not good to be envious. It is not good to be envious. It is not good to be envious. It is... ;)
Anyways - don't you owe us a pic? Pleeeeease!

writingrav
September 5th, 2015, 08:22 PM

It is not good to be envious. It is not good to be envious. It is not good to be envious. It is... ;)

Anyways - don't you owe us a pic? Pleeeeease!

Qs per your request. With a Franklin-Christoph #65 for size comparison.

mtnbiker62
September 5th, 2015, 09:33 PM
Sweet!!

inklord
September 6th, 2015, 12:56 AM
Neat! Red Tiger acrylic?

writingrav
September 6th, 2015, 06:37 AM
Neat! Red Tiger acrylic?
Yup

foundati
February 28th, 2017, 03:43 AM
Looks cool! Almost as cool as Franklin Cristoph model with stained glass coloring