PDA

View Full Version : Kaweco Brass Sport Question :Seeking Opinions

writingrav
August 10th, 2015, 07:32 PM
I have had my Kaweco Brass Sport for about 3 weeks and like it very much. I've been carrying it almost everyday in my pocket, as I am won't to do during summer when shirt pocket pens are less convenient. It is beginning tarnish, I guess you would call it. Getting darker and a little more dull. What do you think? Should I polish it and keep it shining or let nature take its course? Any opinions will be appreciated.

catbert
August 10th, 2015, 07:51 PM
I don’t have any solid brass pens but I do have a brass lamp base. About once a year (OK, maybe every other year) I get the urge to polish it thoroughly to a pale shiny yellow. Over time it reverts to a darker, duller patina. Black or green in places if I let it go that far. Both appearances are satisfying in their own way. Somewhere around the middle is sustainable with light maintenance. Your choices are not irreversible.

earthdawn
August 10th, 2015, 08:19 PM
I have a Karas Kustoms INK with a brass section and i really like the look of the patina the brass takes on after a while. Same with my Visconti HS.

Its all personal feel though. It comes down to how you like it to look. It is certainly easy to clean off.

How do you like the weight of it by the way?

writingrav
August 11th, 2015, 04:39 AM
I have a Karas Kustoms INK with a brass section and i really like the look of the patina the brass takes on after a while. Same with my Visconti HS.

Its all personal feel though. It comes down to how you like it to look. It is certainly easy to clean off.

How do you like the weight of it by the way?
Thanks for your opinion.
I love the weight. I thought I wouldn't, I was concerned about it, but it turns out, for me anyway, that the weight helps better and more comfortably control what is often a very light as well as small pen.

fpquest
August 11th, 2015, 08:44 AM
I bought the Kaweco Brass specifically because of the patina it will take on. Like earthdawn I have a brass section INK for the same reason. So I fall into the camp that likes to see the patina develop. It is a personal preference so polishing it wouldn't be wrong. As you've seen it begins to develop the patina quickly so if you want it polished it may take a lot of work. I'm lazy so luckily prefer the patina and don't have to worry about polishing it.

writingrav
August 11th, 2015, 12:29 PM
I bought the Kaweco Brass specifically because of the patina it will take on. Like earthdawn I have a brass section INK for the same reason. So I fall into the camp that likes to see the patina develop. It is a personal preference so polishing it wouldn't be wrong. As you've seen it begins to develop the patina quickly so if you want it polished it may take a lot of work. I'm lazy so luckily prefer the patina and don't have to worry about polishing it.

Thanks Im leaning toward letting it alone to develop.

VertOlive
August 12th, 2015, 04:31 AM
I'd probably polish it since I'm weird about dull metal touching my skin, though I prefer the patina look.

By the way, does anyone know how the weight compares to the Raw Aluminum?

writingrav
August 12th, 2015, 04:57 AM
I'd probably polish it since I'm weird about dull metal touching my skin, though I prefer the patina look.

The brass is noticeably heavier, sorry I don't have a good scale nearby to give exact figures. Still, as I've said, the weight adds to the ease of using the pen for me.

Lady Onogaro
August 12th, 2015, 09:52 AM

Hi, Vert,

Ed Jelley has a post on the brass version on his blog now under the "Fountain Pens" tab. He lists the weight as 45g.

VertOlive
August 13th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Definitely heavier. I weighed my Raw Aluminum at the lab today and it is only 25g!