PDA

View Full Version : How is the image of Cross pens in the community ?

lowks
August 10th, 2015, 08:55 PM
Recently I heard the guy behind pen economics give his opinion on Cross pens on the pen addict podcast and to put it lightly it was less than flattering. Basically he thinks that Cross pens are pens for people who are not fountain pen geeks. For the life of me I really could not understand what he was saying. I have pens from his "Competitive" list such as Lamy 2000 even from him "Disruptive" list such as TWSBI, but after a while I always go back to my Cross-es (Townsend, Apogee and recently a Peerless). I just love how they are built (Townsend and Peerless posts securely and Apogee's body is just breath taking) as well as how the nib writes. My question is what is the general view of Cross in the FP community and if less then stellar can anyone offer a reason why it is like that ?

Laura N
August 11th, 2015, 06:48 AM
I think many of us who are older than you appear from your photo possibly associate Cross with the ubiquitous graduation-gift ballpoint and pencil set that was its bread and butter for many years here in the US. To me, "Cross" means those thin metal ballpoints like "Kleenex" means facial tissue.

That said, I have no feelings for or against Cross fountain pens. I know nothing about them. There was an intriguing Cross pen some years ago I would have loved to pick up, but never stumbled across. It's just one of many brands that I haven't explored. There are a lot of pens vying for attention and dollars, and maybe Cross fountain pens don't get a lot of hype.

However, you can be a Cross evangelist. :) How about doing some reviews to highlight the ones you like for benighted people like me?

As for what that guy said, whoever he is I'd just write it off to different tastes. If I had a dime for everyone who calls the Lamy Safari "ugly," I'd have enough for several (rare) Savannah Green Lamy Safaris. :) Doesn't stop me from liking it.

fqgouvea
August 11th, 2015, 06:56 AM
I agree with Laura that part of the problem are the ubiquitous thin ballpoints. Another part is that Cross doesn't make much of an effort to promote their pens or give (geek) users much information. For example, there's the mystery of their connection to Sailor, discussed in another thread.

I've looked at only one of their pens. I don't know the model name, but it was one that was so slender that it could only use specially-made Cross cartridges. There isn't even a converter that fits. That was a deal-breaker for me.

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

lowks
August 11th, 2015, 06:58 AM
I agree with Laura that part of the problem are the ubiquitous thin ballpoints. Another part is that Cross doesn't make much of an effort to promote their pens or give (geek) users much information. For example, there's the mystery of their connection to Sailor, discussed in another thread.

I've looked at only one of their pens. I don't know the model name, but it was one that was so slender that it could only use specially-made Cross cartridges. There isn't even a converter that fits. That was a deal-breaker for me.

Any idea what model is that?

jar
August 11th, 2015, 07:16 AM
My brother-in-law loves Cross products and so I gave him all of my Cross pens, ball points and pencils. My experience with them was that they were very well made, super reliable, had great customer service, good value for the money and lasted forever.

gbryal
August 11th, 2015, 07:29 AM
My impression of Cross was they were mostly gift pens, and the ones I initially tried were not very impressive. I'd get them at an office supply store like Staples or Office Depot as they were about the only FPs besides Pilot Varsity or sometimes Yafa pens.

Recently I acquired a Peerless 125 and it's an excellent pen. I suspect you can get a pen of that quality for less than Cross asks, but that is the way with a lot of worthwhile pens, I suppose. Anyway, it's turned my opinion around, and I'd be willing to try something a little less expensive like a Townsend. The office supply store ones I can't really recommend unless you really like the way they look or something.

Silverbreeze
August 11th, 2015, 07:55 AM

It's one of the ones the Goulets are selling Century II I think

lowks
August 11th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Recently I acquired a Peerless 125 and it's an excellent pen. I suspect you can get a pen of that quality for less than Cross asks, but that is the way with a lot of worthwhile pens, I suppose. Anyway, it's turned my opinion around, and I'd be willing to try something a little less expensive like a Townsend. The office supply store ones I can't really recommend unless you really like the way they look or something.

I just got the black obsidian recently too!

top pen
August 11th, 2015, 08:05 AM
I'm going to be honest I don't necessarily agree with all of the views of the aforementioned bloggers. I will leave it at that however I would argue very few among us are really in a position to make such generalizations to deem a brand to be "competitive" or "uncompetitive".

For instance there are a lot of regional differences in pricing structure across brands that results in different brands being more attractive than others. For instance there are several Watermans and Parker gold nibbed pens that are available for less than the custom series pens such as the Carene, Charleston and Sonnet making these pens more attractive in the UK.

As for Cross I find Diplomat pens have similar all metal design and the fact that they are still made in Germany and more suite my aesthetic preferences. I find I’m less attracted to the likes of the Townsend or Peerless when the Excellence A and B are often less expensive.

lowks
August 11th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Also Peerless and Townsend have spoilt me silly because their caps can cap securely. Now, I look for that in most pens :)

mhosea
August 11th, 2015, 09:40 AM
I've not been very tempted by Cross fountain pens lately, though I lost a matte black one in the early to mid 1990's, which I surmised had fallen out of my backpack's pouch in a small parking lot on the campus of Northern Illinois University. I was a math professor there, and only of the "assistant" rank, and consequently it was a luxury item I could not easily replace at the time. At some point, perhaps a few years later when I had left academia for industry, I bought a Sheaffer Prelude to replace it. But every now and again I think about it and try to remember what it was like. I'm sure it must have had a gold-plated steel nib. As I said, the finish was matte black, and the cap had that distinctive Cross shape familiar from the ballpoints, but it was wider, obviously. The whole pen seemed beefy to me at the time, but I'll bet it was slender by my current standards. From looking at the 1995-2000 catalog I found online, I'm guessing it was a "Century II". Perhaps I should replace it, though they say you can never really go home again.

Silverbreeze
August 11th, 2015, 10:05 AM

Opps wrong model. Its the Cross Classic

https://youtu.be/5scMYJEpQ0w

KBeezie
August 11th, 2015, 10:09 AM
I've always figured them to be gift or commemorative pens when a montblanc would be considered too costly or large. (ie graduation, executive hand outs, what a few presidents signed bills with etc) and usually not thinking about them in regards to fountain pens.

But I have no clue one way or another if they're 'good' or not, just not something that appeals to me at first glance.

tandaina
August 11th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Honestly, I agree with him. Cross pens are garbage, they're for buying and putting out on your desk so people think you have a fancy fountain pen. I've never held one that was well balanced or not heavy as well (all the ones I've come across are metal pens). The nibs are nails and feel like writing with one. Most of the ones I've encountered have quality control issues with the nib or the nib is just generally unpleasant. I would never, ever suggest anyone buy a Cross pen. I certainly won't. I'm sure some folks have gotten lucky with them, hell some people like Jinhao which I have no love for either. But I honestly do not like Cross, at all.

Had a friend buy one at Staples or some such place and decided fountain pens were awful because it never wrote, ever. No ink flow at all. I gave her a cheap Lamy, problem solved she loves fountain pens now.

Jon Szanto
August 11th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Recently I heard the guy behind pen economics give his opinion on Cross pens on the pen addict podcast...

Everyone is a pundit these days. I take what they say with a mountain range of salt. I don't have a lot of experience with Cross, and exactly none with their FPs, but it wouldn't surprise me if at least some of them are nice pens worth investing in.

Zhivago
August 11th, 2015, 12:36 PM

I just got the black obsidian recently too!

Both have, I think, nibs made by Sailor. Cross also had pens with Pilot made nibs some time back.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see that the op had started another thread on the Sailor/Cross connection.

inklord
August 11th, 2015, 01:52 PM

It's one of the ones the Goulets are selling Century II I think
It's the 'Century' - the 'Century II' has a bit more girth and accepts regular Cross cartridges and one of their two converter models.

Also: Cross seems to have that image of being either an award/gift pen or a pen for people who don't care what brand or style of pen they write with, mainly because they were given to so many graduates etc. Later on in life, that was often the only name the people who were once given one had any attachment to - so they bought another Cross because their status required something shiny in their breast pocket. This makes perhaps for a market presence that is less 'geek driven' than 'convention driven'.
I really don't know why that is so (just history?) and if it's at all justified.

I personally find the concept of a family-owned, traditional US pen maker highly appealing, but somehow even brands like Sheaffer and Parker - which gave up that status a long time ago - still seem to outshine Cross.
The German Brand 'Diplomat' (mentioned by top pen in this thread) has a similar image in Germany - yes, they make a good pen, but it's just not quite 'it' (compared to MB, Pelikan and Lamy)
Another argument is that the stainless-steel nibbed Cross FP's are somewhat expensive for what they are, and the step up to an 18k nib may cost you up to $200.- more. Even considering the more expensive finish (mostly gold plating and sterling silver) that's a huge step - and it's still a metal cartridge/converter pen.
I hope more FP geeks will post their experiences with this brand!
Ooooops as well just saw the reply with the Goulet video - thanks for posting that OK it's the 'Century Classic' then!:thumb:

mhosea
August 11th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Some of the negative energy inspired me to replace my lost "classic black" Cross Century II. I got one off ebay, supposedly new, albeit without converter or cartridge, for $42. We'll see how it goes.

mrcharlie
August 11th, 2015, 05:18 PM
It's the 'Century' - the 'Century II' has a bit more girth and accepts regular Cross cartridges and one of their two converter models.
Also the Cross Spire FP requires the slim cartridge and does not take a converter. I think maybe it is discontinued.

lowks
August 11th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Some of the negative energy inspired me to replace my lost "classic black" Cross Century II. I got one off ebay, supposedly new, albeit without converter or cartridge, for $42. We'll see how it goes.

Negative energy ... ?wow

lowks
August 11th, 2015, 07:15 PM
For those who are curious, here is the blog post: http://www.peneconomics.com/blog/2015/2/16/brand-taxonomy?rq=cross Beware! Your pen not be put in a very favorable category.

mhosea
August 11th, 2015, 08:12 PM

Negative energy ... ?wow

What's the "wow" for?

lowks
August 11th, 2015, 08:13 PM

Negative energy ... ?wow

What's the "wow" for?

Wow is for that sounds so spiritual

mhosea
August 11th, 2015, 08:25 PM
Wow is for that sounds so spiritual

LOL. It was only a euphemism. Some folks are obviously down on the brand, and I'm out of touch in the matter, so I decided to remedy the situation...at least partially. It's not like I'm going to buy a gold-nibbed Townsend. I don't like the way they look. My daughter took a liking to the Year of the Dragon pen, but she's not an FP person, so I got her the ballpoint. It seemed rather high quality to me, but again, that wasn't an FP.

pengeezer
August 11th, 2015, 08:31 PM
I'm not a big fan of Cross pens either,though I wouldn't dissuade anyone from liking them. The 150th
anniversary(I believe) limited edition model with the three black stripes on barrel and cap is one of the
only Cross pens that I might consider.

In 12 years of collecting I have seen only one of the original black-striped models....and that was on fleabay. It was missing
some parts,but it still went for over $300.

John

KrazyIvan
August 11th, 2015, 09:25 PM
My first "good" pen was a Cross pen and pencil that my girlfriend gave me. I still have it and my girlfriend is now my wife. Last year I bought a Cross fountain pen. Apogee iirc. Super light and a very smooth albeit stiff nib. Was it worth the $40 I paid for it? I expected more. It was a bit of e let down.

gbryal
August 11th, 2015, 09:48 PM
Besides the Peerless I have the Aventura and the Freemont they make for Office Depot's "Franklin-Covey" brand (mine seems to accept the green converter). They are all pretty different pens, and any one of them wouldn't tell you much about the other. That Sailor nib on the Peerless skates on Rhodia, though. It makes me curious about Sailor's pens.

KBeezie
August 11th, 2015, 11:20 PM
For those who are curious, here is the blog post: http://www.peneconomics.com/blog/2015/2/16/brand-taxonomy?rq=cross Beware! Your pen not be put in a very favorable category.

In terms of just the quick break-down and what each category means, I can kind of agree with that. Especially in terms of what's considered uncompetitive.

Though not sure how Visconti fits into innovative, but I don't know enough about the brand and all the offerings and track record, just that their quality control doesn't seem that great. But I thess the follow up article(s) will explain.

Sandy Fry
August 12th, 2015, 03:12 AM
I have a bunch of Cross pens. None of them have failed me. All have written straight out of the box. Yeah, the nibs are stiff but I have plenty of pens with stiff nibs so it is certainly not a deal breaker.
I am with Jar on this. They are well made, reliable and last forever.

David

Alanc
August 12th, 2015, 05:36 AM
A couple of Cross fountain pens. The blue one has an 18K nib, the other one has a gold plated nib.
I have attached a quick scribble made with the blue pen. It is a fairly stiff nib but a smooth writer.
This is the first time that it has seen ink!
I don't collect Cross pens, these came from a friend. However, they seem well made for their price point.
Also pictured is a 925 silver "skinny" ball pen.

inklord
August 12th, 2015, 05:53 AM
A couple of Cross fountain pens. The blue one has an 18K nib, the other one has a gold plated nib.
I have attached a quick scribble made with the blue pen. It is a fairly stiff nib but a smooth writer.
This is the first time that it has seen ink!
I don't collect Cross pens, these came from a friend. However, they seem well made for their price point.
Also pictured is a 925 silver "skinny" ball pen.
That blue one looks really nice - and Cross's Art Deco nib imprints grow on me! What a great thread on this much overlooked brand!

lowks
August 12th, 2015, 06:03 AM
I have a bunch of Cross pens. None of them have failed me. All have written straight out of the box. Yeah, the nibs are stiff but I have plenty of pens with stiff nibs so it is certainly not a deal breaker.
I am with Jar on this. They are well made, reliable and last forever.

David

+1 I too am with you on this.

inklord
August 12th, 2015, 06:04 AM
Just looked up that pen economy blog. Person doesn't seem to know much about the pen market and the way pen brands are perceived by buyers. Franklin-Christoph and Lamy, competitive but not innovative?? (how about block threads, wild designs by both, clip-on caps?) Edison (building very nice copies of century old filling systems) based on classic shapes, innovative? Stipula (STIPULA!!) competitive?? (When have you last seen a Stipula pen take the pen-world in a storm?)
:haha:

lowks
August 12th, 2015, 06:06 AM
Just looked up that pen economy blog. Person doesn't seem to know much about the pen market and the way pen brands are perceived by buyers. Franklin-Christoph and Lamy, competitive but not innovative?? (how about block threads, wild designs by both, clip-on caps?) Edison (building very nice copies of century old filling systems) based on classic shapes, innovative? Stipula (STIPULA!!) competitive?? (When have you last seen a Stipula pen take the pen-world in a storm?)
:haha:

Haha, see your point. I really wonder what is his definition of "COMPETITIVE"

ThorCW
August 12th, 2015, 08:06 AM
I have a cross aventura and an ATX. The aventura writes smooth as glass but doesnt post. The ATX is a perfect pen for me I love it.

Jerome Tarshis
August 12th, 2015, 03:16 PM

It is the Spire or, more recently, the so-called Classic Century. Or possibly the Century Classic. To me the original Century, first offered in the mid-1980s, is the (classic) Century.

The Spire and the newer Century are indeed too thin for the usual Cross converters, but the Spire came in some handsome finishes. And not all of us do any great amount of writing with our pens.

Monz
August 13th, 2015, 03:02 PM
I like the Century and Townsend fountain pens. Here is an old silver Townsend with 18K medium stub nib... it has a beautiful patina and writes very smoothly. The cap is very heavy though and it's best used unposted.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/525/19873996689_7c257e9a1f_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/whcqPk)
Cross Townsend (https://flic.kr/p/whcqPk) by Monz (https://www.flickr.com/photos/monz/), on Flickr

lowks
August 13th, 2015, 07:04 PM
I also like how the cap posts with a click.

mhosea
August 14th, 2015, 07:24 PM
I also like how the cap posts with a click.

The Century II just posts normally, but I like how it feels when I cap it and uncap it.

Laura N
August 14th, 2015, 08:48 PM
I like the Century and Townsend fountain pens. Here is an old silver Townsend with 18K medium stub nib... it has a beautiful patina and writes very smoothly. The cap is very heavy though and it's best used unposted.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/525/19873996689_7c257e9a1f_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/whcqPk)
Cross Townsend (https://flic.kr/p/whcqPk) by Monz (https://www.flickr.com/photos/monz/), on Flickr

That looks nice.

But now I sort of wish I had a sterling silver pen. Darn it. :)

bigevilgrape
August 15th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Cross is semi-local to me. I go to the sales at their factory store sometimes. They got bought out recently so now stuff from parker and lamy sneaks into the sales. I bought two cheap ones from the staples clearance rack. One was a beverly that I like quite a bit. I forget which model the other was, but it wad dreadful to write with and just felt cheap. I wound up giving it away. I also have an ATX and a Century which write beautifully and feel really solid in my hand with the right amount of heft.

Sailor Kenshin
August 15th, 2015, 01:51 PM
In brief: I have a Cross Coventry that came with two sections, a fine and a medium. It was on sale a couple years back at Staples, all boxed up with carts and ready to go, and is silvertoned with goldtoned clip and band.

I like it. It wrote just fine outta da box, and it's one of the few pens I'll allow to accompany me to the library. It's now got the F section, inked with Akkerman Shocking Blue. Because of the proprietary carts, I probably won't get another Cross unless it jumps into my pocket.

DH has a silvery Cross ballpoint and pencil set that he likes, too.

dr.grace
August 15th, 2015, 03:34 PM
Some of the pens posted in this thread are not totally unattractive, but I strongly dislike the metal bit at the front of the barrel.

In general, my opinion (which of course reflects my taste and thus can be disregarded by anyone who likes these pens) is that modern pens from Sheaffer, Parker and Cross are utilitarian at best and often downright ugly.

ac12
August 15th, 2015, 06:42 PM
Good and Bad.

I like the Century FP, the one from I think the 70s. Fits my hand and writes well.
The Townsend is too big/fat and too heavy for me. bleh.
I like the new Spire and Classic Century.

The select-tip, I was upset that Cross changed the design, so the current select-tip refills do not fit the older pens.

I used and liked the ball pen. I put up with the sometimes hard to roll ball, as that was no different than any other ball pen. Though I would like a gel refill, to breath some life into the BP.

I am in the process of deciding on and putting together a set of the old Century FP,BP,MP to use.

alc3261
August 15th, 2015, 07:26 PM

The Spire

lowks
August 15th, 2015, 09:05 PM
In brief: I have a Cross Coventry .... Akkerman Shocking Blue..

Nice.

lowks
August 15th, 2015, 10:25 PM
Just wondering, what other current FP pens uses proprietary cartridges ?

mhosea
August 15th, 2015, 11:18 PM

Parker, Sailor, and Pilot come to mind.

...and Sheaffer. How could I forget Sheaffer?

ac12
August 15th, 2015, 11:37 PM

I dunno, I like their thin pens. Not all of us like fat pens.
I like the original Century, and I like the new Classic Century enough to have bought two of them.
And there are parts of the Cross product line that I ignore.

Sourcing of parts is not a subject that MANY manufacturers in MANY industries will disclose to the public. The prime reason is you are buying a CROSS branded pen. They do not want to dilute the branding.

For the Spire/Classic Century, you could try making a bulb converter out of a used cartridge and an ink sac. I plan to give that a try soon, for my Classic Century.
The target market for these pens is obviously not the same as their other fountain pens (Century, Century II, and Townsend), which do have converters. Because if marketing really wanted a converter for the pen, the company would have made one.

gbryal
August 15th, 2015, 11:56 PM
Cross is semi-local to me. I go to the sales at their factory store sometimes. They got bought out recently so now stuff from parker and lamy sneaks into the sales.

Who bought Cross? The last news item on their site says they bought Sheaffer from BIC:

Lincoln, Rhode Island, 11 November 2014. A.T. Cross Company, a portfolio company of Clarion Capital Partners, announced today that it completed the purchase of Sheaffer, BIC’s fine writing instrument business.

By leveraging the individual strengths of Cross® and Sheaffer®, two authentic, American fine writing brands, the A.T. Cross Company is well-positioned to be a worldwide leader in the design, manufacture, marketing and sale of premium, high-quality writing instruments.

Or do you mean someone bought the factory store?

Armstrong
August 16th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Everyone is a pundit these days.

Yes, exactly. With the explosion of blogs and vlogs you can find every opinion under the sun. What is your aim in collecting? Is it monetary? Then it might be an issue that needs consideration. Is it for pleasure? Then you, and only you, are the expert on that. If a pen most people consider a junker (not a Cross comment) makes you grin then get it and the heck with what anyone else thinks. I have a Cross, not even a fountain pen, a ball point. The Cross Morph I think it is called now, it used to be called Star-something I think but I'm not sure. The grip is shaped by wires embedded in the rubber and forms a triangular cross-section. It is the most comfortable ball point I ever used and was gift from my wife. So, it is one of my all time favorite pens and always will be.

Sailor Kenshin
August 16th, 2015, 03:36 PM

And Lamy.

Wile E Coyote
August 16th, 2015, 03:46 PM

And Lamy.

And Platinum/Nakaya.

Neo
August 16th, 2015, 07:04 PM
Cross too if i am not mistaken.

mhosea
August 16th, 2015, 07:16 PM

Yes, indeed, but that's what started it.

bigevilgrape
August 16th, 2015, 08:27 PM
Who bought Cross? The last news item on their site says they bought Sheaffer from BIC:

Lincoln, Rhode Island, 11 November 2014. A.T. Cross Company, a portfolio company of Clarion Capital Partners, announced today that it completed the purchase of Sheaffer, BIC’s fine writing instrument business.

By leveraging the individual strengths of Cross® and Sheaffer®, two authentic, American fine writing brands, the A.T. Cross Company is well-positioned to be a worldwide leader in the design, manufacture, marketing and sale of premium, high-quality writing instruments.

Or do you mean someone bought the factory store?

This is the article I was thinking of http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20130925/NEWS/309259933 and this http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2013/07/15/cross-pens-clarion-capital-partners-60m.html

Neo
August 16th, 2015, 08:28 PM

Yes, indeed, but that's what started it.

:facepalm:

mrcharlie
August 17th, 2015, 01:48 PM
This is the article I was thinking of http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20130925/NEWS/309259933 and this http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2013/07/15/cross-pens-clarion-capital-partners-60m.html
Isn't Clarion the record company that gave the Blue Brothers a record contract at the end of the film, and an advance they used to pay off Ray's Music Exchange and their orphanage's taxes? ;)

And now they own Cross pens (and I guess Sheaffer)! What a small world.

Of course, the Blues Brothers would have signed their record contract on the dashboard of the Caddy. In pencil.

Jerome Tarshis
August 18th, 2015, 10:46 PM
Alternatively, isn't Clarion the well known science fiction writing workshop? And now they own Cross and Sheaffer? What a small world? This idea may have some mileage in it.

Sailor Kenshin
August 19th, 2015, 05:53 AM
Alternatively, isn't Clarion the well known science fiction writing workshop? And now they own Cross and Sheaffer? What a small world? This idea may have some mileage in it.

Then they should start cranking out some multi-dimensional pens.

Waltman
August 26th, 2015, 07:08 AM
I've heard/seen enthusiast's "top five (or fill in the number)" pens and what they love and do not love. I respect their opinion but it up to each individual to make their own choice.

Cross was known for the graduation give sets and my sister bought me a set years ago, which I unfortunately lost. One of my first fountain pens was a Cross Townsend in Quartz Blue (steel nib) which I still have to this day. it is an okay pen but it launched my love affair with fountain pens.

I purchased other Cross pens with a mixture of results, some good and some really, really lousy. I shied away from Cross for years, focusing on European brands. I recently got back on the Cross horse, as I would like to give the American company another chance, and purchased a Cross Peerless 125 in Obsidian Black. It is a heavy pen but well made. The shiny black finish is stylish. IMHO, the nib performance is outstanding, which may, from what I have read in the other posts, be due to Sailor or Pilot influence/manufacture. The Cross website/YouTube videos state it is an American design but it is a bit fuzzy about where this pen is made. I bought an XF nib and it produces a laser sharp line with some feedback but no scratchiness. Based upon this experience, I may purchase another Cross pen in the future.

inklord
August 26th, 2015, 09:01 PM

Lamy

Ceit
August 27th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Cross pens -- started me on my love of pens. In the mid-90s I was gifted a Cross Townsend Blue Lapiz Luzili with Gold flakes -- Rollerball -- Nice writer for a Rollerball. I kept it for all these years and found out earlier this year I could swap out the grip unit for a Fountain Pen Nib. So I did, I purchased a 18k gold nib, and it's by far one of my favorite pens.

Yes, it's a heavy pens (but personally I like it)
I was told that the Gold nibs are made by Pelikan -- Which was a plus
It was great to have such a stunning pen to use again, with real gold flakes in the blue lacquer

I really love the Townsend pens, because I like the thickness (which btw the Peerless is on my to get at some point list) and the feel, I really love the gold nibs. I am thinking of turing my silver Townsend Rollerball ito a Fountain Pen as well.

The botonicals are really pretty and have tempted me. Like so many pens.

Yes, they are considered gift pens-- but I wouldn't mind a gift of one.

ThirdeYe
August 28th, 2015, 12:23 PM
I have mixed feelings about Cross. I didn't care for the ones I've bought from Staples (Townsend, Bailey) but I love my Cross Solo/Radiance pens. Those were made by Pilot, so perhaps that's why. I also have a Townsend that I bought a few years ago but I've yet to try it, so I can't comment on that one.

amk
August 29th, 2015, 02:17 PM
I suspect Cross suffers as it has relatively heavy, thin, all metal pens. And while all-metal hand made industrial chic pens go well on Kickstarter, that's not Cross's rather classical aesthetic.

I have to say I find the Century now, though there's nothing wrong with it, not entirely to my taste (one of my favourite pens is the Edison Collier, and I think that says it all...) But I do like the ATX, which when all the pens around were available only in shades of black, white, grey, silver and beige, came out with aubergine, chilli, and other wonderful colours. A fun pen.

junlon
August 30th, 2015, 07:24 AM
Saw many Cross pens in local TJ Maxx and Marshalls stores selling at discounted prices. Not a good way to keep (or build) their brand image.

Silverbreeze
August 31st, 2015, 05:07 AM
Saw many Cross pens in local TJ Maxx and Marshalls stores selling at discounted prices. Not a good way to keep (or build) their brand image.
The issue is Cross isn't separate in our minds like Pilots or Parker

For many Cross is the mental version of Bic ballpoint

Sailor Kenshin
August 31st, 2015, 06:43 AM
All this may be true, but since I put the F section on my Coventry and filled it with Akkerman Shocking Blue, I haven't been able to put it down. Its only minus is that it doesn't really post.

mac
September 2nd, 2015, 10:54 PM
Funny ... I agree with all the stodgy gift pen comments ... but I really like some Cross pens. I have a number of Century 14k gold filled pens which perform very well. The fountain pens have 14k nibs and are surprisingly soft and smooth. My wife also has a large FP in a lapis lazuli-like finish which is very nice.

I think selling sets in drug stores does not help the image and that broad channel reach may not drive success in the future. The Cross brand could be good but needs a more tailored, "special", boutique feel in order to become more collectable.

I do not know about any connection with Sailor ... that sounds interesting. I buy Cross fountain pen ink because it is made by Pelikan and is pretty cheap. I give a bottle with each pen I give as a gift.

There seem to be few collectible Cross models. On eBay most cross pens are "Buy it Now" retail offers. I am sure there are people who collect ball points with different company logos ... that seems to be one interesting area where Cross excelled.

Dragonmaster Lou
September 4th, 2015, 01:03 PM
The Cross Peerless pens have nibs made by Sailor. Some of their other models supposedly have had nibs made by Pilot.

RocketRyan
December 18th, 2016, 10:19 AM
I own and use a cross century 2, it was my first fountain pen that wasn't a shop own brand or a Parker... and I love it, I wouldn't use it for long writing sessions, but it's such a slim pen I can tuck it in the pocket of my jeans and literally forget it's there (not so easy with a delta dolcevita). I find people aren't over exited about cross pens but they are really reliable and the cap reminds me of a bullet.
All in if would recommend one.

RocketRyan
December 18th, 2016, 10:20 AM
I not if sorry.

mhosea
December 18th, 2016, 03:12 PM
I find people aren't over exited about cross pens but they are really reliable and the cap reminds me of a bullet.

Yeah, mine's very reliable and better than average at keeping the ink from evaporating when the pen isn't used for a long time. I never thought about it before, but the top is a little bit like a bullet. Still, I'm not using mine, as I have a lot of pens, and it's thinner than I like. On the plus side, I painstakingly fitted a Sheaffer 14K medium nib from a deceased slender TD. This nib is more svelte than the ubiquitous Feathertouch #5 nibs. It's firm but quite a pleasant nib to write with. I figured Sheaffer on Cross wasn't much of a stretch, since Cross owns the Sheaffer brand now. :)

I've been thinking about selling it, but I'm afraid even with the Sheaffer nib the general lack of interest in Cross fountain pens will mean that it's not worth the trouble.

RocketRyan
December 18th, 2016, 03:47 PM
Probably true. You can buy a 14k nib for the century 2 for £80, not sure how much difference it would make on this model.

datainadequate
December 24th, 2016, 01:20 PM
Well, this thread prompted me to take a closer look at the Cross FP range. They have some nice designs, and their own distinctive style. Two negative things stood out for me. Firstly, the lack of nib choice. Mostly you can have only M or F, with B only available on a few models, and EF only available as replacement nibs AFAICS. Secondly, convertors are optional items except for the top of the range pens. Not even the supposedly iconic Townsend has a converter included. To me, that says the company has been focussed on cost management and hasn't cared about alienating FP enthusiasts along the way.

RocketRyan
December 24th, 2016, 01:41 PM
To be honest I really like cross pens, but I think the negative image is worse in the USA than this side of the pond. Over here they are kind of on par with Parker, sheaffer and I would say Lamy.

matteob
December 25th, 2016, 01:24 AM
I have a Cross Century ii. I have had it about 10 years. It writes a little dry but is not a bad little pen.

RocketRyan
December 25th, 2016, 08:57 AM
I would describe mine as a 6-7 on the wet scale, smooth with just a hint of feedback.

ms8109
January 10th, 2017, 12:20 AM
Cross makes some of the best writing instruments in the pen community followed by one of the. best warranties out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best Regards,
Mike

Vespagirl
January 10th, 2017, 03:40 AM
Whether you love Cross or hate them, I feel like you have to tip your hat to the fact that it was Cross FP which introduced more than one person on this thread (myself included) to this world. Of course there will be those who dislike the pen or had a bad experience, but I've had that with more FP-based companies as well.

For some, Cross is a doorway to this world. I think that we should acknowledge that.

I was lucky in that the Cross FP I was give is a wonderfully smooth writer, on all surfaces. The ink is great because I can even use it on inexpensive paper without problems. Due to these characteristics, I will often use this pen in my class because the dark black like is visible to all of the students through the doc cam, but there is no bleed through. As a result, another generation is becoming interested in FP from seeing this old (from the 90s) workhorse in action.

It may not be my favorite pen, but I do enjoy it and I feel, for whatever it's worth, that the company has aided this community in its own way. I respect that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RocketRyan
January 10th, 2017, 05:55 AM
Just as a small add on I find Diamine inks work wonderfully in my cross fp, really juicy. May just be my pen though.

StacyBean
January 10th, 2017, 10:44 AM
One of my. first fountain pens was the Cross Solo Sport. It's still wonderful: well balanced, comfortable in the hand, excellent nib supposedly made by Pilot. About $30. Nothing current appeals to me.

heraclitus682
February 10th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Its image is probably dropping more and more with each executive order signed.

RocketRyan
February 10th, 2017, 12:56 PM
Its image is probably dropping more and more with each executive order signed.

Shame because they write well. Need to do something to change their image.

Anne
February 10th, 2017, 06:00 PM
Personally, I commend the Cross brand for attempting to stay in America. Their fine pens have been used by Commanders In Chief going back to President Gerald Ford (although he used Parker as well).
I doubt they are making a political stance having supplied President Trump with their pens, as I doubt they made one when President Obama used them to sign his orders.

P.S. President Kennedy used Parker pens, so even though he is deceased, if there are still any President Kennedy haters out there: Stop buying Parker pens now.
( just a silly joke - and I emphasize How Silly It All Is :D)

mhosea
February 12th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Hmmm. I've pretty much given up on selling the Cross I have in the classifieds, as maybe it's not worth to somebody else what it's worth to me, today anyway, but maybe I just need to switch marketing strategies. "Having problems with somebody? Here's the perfect fountain pen for your poison pen letters." ;)

BayesianPrior
February 12th, 2017, 02:06 PM
My mother bought my father a Cross Century fountain pen in 1982. After he died, I (being a complete ingenu) managed to block it up with pigment ink. The nice people at Cross replaced it in 2001 free of charge with a Century II with an XF nib. I know it isn't the 'same' pen as my father's, but I would never part with it.

As far as operation of the pen? Well made, springy XF nib, good converter capacity. Have bought other Cross pens more recently and haven't been as impressed. Nevertheless, Cross still stands behind its lifetime mechanical guarantee and recently replaced an M nib on another pen for an F nib, no questions asked. This makes me willing to try a Townsend.

Anne
February 12th, 2017, 04:18 PM
I was given a Cross Beverly as a Christmas present. It writes as nicely as my Cross Stratford and I really love the innovative design of it:) The section is
really comfortable and balanced nicely in my hand.
It's funny, I had been looking on their website and the pen really stood out to me because of the shape/design - my sister was nervous that I would buy it
and felt the need to blurt out that she already bought it for me!

roguez
February 14th, 2017, 09:13 AM
Some really good discussion and thoughts here. Thank ya'll. As for me I have always had a soft spot for Cross as they did somewhat play a part in my pen fascination. I own a few of the old gold ballpoints but just have them for reminiscing. I would definitely try a Cross FP though.

dadbar
February 24th, 2017, 12:55 PM
I have 4 Cross Fountain pens, 2 rollerballs and about 6 pens/pencils. These are great workhorse pens.

Three of my fountain pens are the original Cross Century pens from the 1980's in matte black, chrome and gold (I hit for the cycle). Only one of them needed some nib work- the other two were perfect out of the box. I love the feel of all 3 pens (I like small pens). They write as well as my Mont Blanc or Parkers. The negative comments come from ignorance and snobbery.

I received a Townsend fountain pen at work for finishing a major project (every team member got one). It is a nice pen but a little too large and heavy for my taste. An excellent document signing pen, though.