PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Philadelphia

GTown_Dave
October 9th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Just a quick note to introduce myself. As you may have gathered, my name is Dave, & I reside in Philadelphia. I had never so much as picked up a fountain pen when, on a whim, I bought myself a TWSBI Diamond 540 (Clear) for my birthday a little over a year ago now, & filled it w/ some basic Noodler's Black. Instant love affair. I've only bought a couple more fountain pens since -- too many hobbies & not enough money -- but I'm hooked nonetheless. Current "Wish List" includes a Tree Ring Pen, & the seemingly never-to-appear Clear version of the TWSBI Vac 700. As a longtime lurker turned first time poster, I look forward to interacting w/ all of you.

-Dave

earthdawn
October 9th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Great to have you with us.

I too have theTWSBI 540 and really like it. I got it with a Fine nib and then switched it out for 1.5 stub. I figured out I like stubs more then fines.

The Vac 700 is a very cool pen as well. And you will find many more you like lol

I hear Holt's Cigar on Walnut between 15th and 16th has a very nice selection of pens. Never been but if next time we are going to Va. I want to stop there.

jar
October 9th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

fountainpenkid
October 9th, 2012, 06:05 PM
welcome! My family came from Philly; moved up into yankee land when I was 4.

auto winder
October 9th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Welcome, Dave :)

writingrav
October 10th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Hi Dave. Welcome. Where in Philly? I'm in Center City.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

writingrav
October 10th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Great to have you with us.

I too have theTWSBI 540 and really like it. I got it with a Fine nib and then switched it out for 1.5 stub. I figured out I like stubs more then fines.

The Vac 700 is a very cool pen as well. And you will find many more you like lol

I hear Holt's Cigar on Walnut between 15th and 16th has a very nice selection of pens. Never been but if next time we are going to Va. I want to stop there.

Not so much. It happens to be just about the only place in town that sells anything, but nice selection, not so much. A selection of Pilot pens and a few Noodler's plus Irushuziku, Edelstein and Noodler's inks, which is handy.

Steph
October 10th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Hi Dave! Good to know there's another one of us in Philly! I just flushed my Twsbi 540 and inked up my new Vac700. As others have noted, it's a tad bit dry, but I'm going to try it with one of those free flowing wet inks and hopefully find a perfect pair.

I do wish there were more B&M stores around, particularly in Center City.

KrazyIvan
October 10th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Hello Dave.

Welcome to the board Dave.

Wrong movie. Welcome to the dark side. :D

GTown_Dave
October 10th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Hi Dave. Welcome. Where in Philly? I'm in Center City.

Germantown. Luckily, fountain pen nibs also make a good shiv in a pinch.

GTown_Dave
October 10th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Not so much. It happens to be just about the only place in town that sells anything, but nice selection, not so much. A selection of Pilot pens and a few Noodler's plus Irushuziku, Edelstein and Noodler's inks, which is handy.

writingrav speaks truth. Not much in the way of retail here, which is sad. I have to do my research & purchasing mostly through the internet. On the other hand that's how I happened to find FPGeeks, so I suppose it's not all bad.

fountainpenkid
October 14th, 2012, 04:03 PM
are you going to the philly pen show? i certainly am, and it would be fun to meet some of you guys in person there.

writingrav
October 15th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I went last year and I'm planning to go again, possibly only on Friday as my weekend work schedule may interfere.

babbaboooey
November 2nd, 2012, 06:31 PM
Ill be there.

writingrav
November 3rd, 2012, 06:28 AM
are you going to the philly pen show? i certainly am, and it would be fun to meet some of you guys in person there.

I almost definitely will be there Friday and Sunday. Saturday is questionable. How about a geek meet up Sunday morning?

fountainpenkid
November 4th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Germantown? That's close to where my family is from...Chesnut Hill...