PDA

View Full Version : What is the signature Nakaya pen model?

jtballistic
October 10th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Apologies in advance if this is an ignorant question.

I have become fixated by Nakaya pens and I am super keen to get one. But which one? Is there a signature Nakaya model along the lines of the Montblanc 149, Waterman Carene or Omas 360? Something that automatically identifies the pen as a Nakaya?

Cheers

JT

geoduc
October 12th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Not really. There are enough unique models in the Nakaya lineup that I don't think any one really stands out. The base versions are all about the same price too, unless you step up to something a little more fancy like a Decapod or Dorsal Fin. Choose the shape and finish that you prefer and go for it.

I have a Portable Writer, a couple of Neo Standards and a Long Cigar so feel free to ask questions if there's any information I can give to help with your decision.

earthdawn
October 13th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Not really. There are enough unique models in the Nakaya lineup that I don't think any one really stands out. The base versions are all about the same price too, unless you step up to something a little more fancy like a Decapod or Dorsal Fin. Choose the shape and finish that you prefer and go for it.

I have a Portable Writer, a couple of Neo Standards and a Long Cigar so feel free to ask questions if there's any information I can give to help with your decision.

Not to high-jack the thread..... :)

But did you order directly for a custom order one or did you get it at a show etc?

Curious how long it takes them to make one custom for you.

Great site to. Really intereseting to go through the order process even if you dont hit "complete order" lol. They ask a lot of questions and give you a LOT of options on even the basic pens.

Good to know too that my dream pen from them comes in at just $760... guess i will wait a little longer

geoduc
October 13th, 2012, 02:29 PM

But did you order directly for a custom order one or did you get it at a show etc?

Curious how long it takes them to make one custom for you.

Great site to. Really intereseting to go through the order process even if you dont hit "complete order" lol. They ask a lot of questions and give you a LOT of options on even the basic pens.

Good to know too that my dream pen from them comes in at just $760... guess i will wait a little longer

The only pen I ordered directly from Nakaya did not have any customizations - it took about two months to get to me. The other three were ordered through Classic Fountain Pens (http://www.nibs.com. They all were customized in some way - two of them took about five months, the third took eight months. The third one was done in a custom color so I expected it to take longer than the others. I have another customized pen on order and just received notification that it will be here in November, so only four months on that one.

Ordering through the Nakaya website was pretty straightforward and communications were good, so I wouldn't have any problems doing it again. If you want a custom nib grind, then I'd recommend ordering through Classic Fountain Pens and let John Mottishaw work his magic. The other advantage to ordering through CFP is that if there's a problem or if you need to have the nib adjusted, then you can send it to them rather than having to send the pen back to Japan.

I hope you get your Nakaya soon. Just be aware that they're potentially addictive. ;)

jtballistic
October 13th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Thank you Geoduc for the insight. I was weighing up either a Neo-standard or Decapod Twist - all in writer style. It's a little tough to try before I buy, living here but I was wondering how these compare with my daily writers - the Lamy 2000 EF and Pelikan M800? From the specs they should be a little longer than the Lamy and the Pelikan, which is nice since I post the Lamy but not the Pelikan.

It would seem a shame to buy such elegant pens and not use them every day.

I guess my first step would be to email Nibs.com.

Cheers!

geoduc
October 13th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Thank you Geoduc for the insight. I was weighing up either a Neo-standard or Decapod Twist - all in writer style. It's a little tough to try before I buy, living here but I was wondering how these compare with my daily writers - the Lamy 2000 EF and Pelikan M800? From the specs they should be a little longer than the Lamy and the Pelikan, which is nice since I post the Lamy but not the Pelikan.

It would seem a shame to buy such elegant pens and not use them every day.

I guess my first step would be to email Nibs.com.

Cheers!

Pen specs are on the nibs.com site, but I do happen to have a Pelikan M800 so here is a direct comparison between the Neo Standard and M800:

First value is Neo Standard, second is M800
Length (capped): 150 mm, 142 mm
Length (uncapped): 135 mm, 128 mm
Length (posted): N/A, 168 mm (it is not recommended to post the Neo Standard)
Max barrel diameter: 15.1 mm, 13.5 mm
Section length: 24 mm, 15 mm
Section diameter: 11.5/10.2 mm, 11.4/10.7 mm (this measurement is max diameter just in front of threads to minimum diameter)
Weight: 28.8 g, 29.0 g

Of course, numbers can only tell you a little bit about a pen. Even though the two pens are close in size and are the same weight, the feel in the hand is different. The M800 is back weighted due to the piston filler, while the Neo Standard is more neutrally balanced with just a touch of rear weighting when the converter is installed. Nakaya nibs also have a little more spring to them. I like the Neo Standard because of the balance, the nib, and the longer section. That's just my preference though, YMMV. The M800 holds more ink and is also quicker to cap and uncap, so there are some advantages there.

earthdawn
October 13th, 2012, 08:36 PM
The only pen I ordered directly from Nakaya did not have any customizations - it took about two months to get to me. The other three were ordered through Classic Fountain Pens (http://www.nibs.com. They all were customized in some way - two of them took about five months, the third took eight months. The third one was done in a custom color so I expected it to take longer than the others. I have another customized pen on order and just received notification that it will be here in November, so only four months on that one.

Ordering through the Nakaya website was pretty straightforward and communications were good, so I wouldn't have any problems doing it again. If you want a custom nib grind, then I'd recommend ordering through Classic Fountain Pens and let John Mottishaw work his magic. The other advantage to ordering through CFP is that if there's a problem or if you need to have the nib adjusted, then you can send it to them rather than having to send the pen back to Japan.

I hope you get your Nakaya soon. Just be aware that they're potentially addictive. ;)

WOW.. Thank you for the great details !

I was looking at Nibs.com and thought the same thing. If I need it adjusted or want him to do something special, like his amazing Spencerian/copperplate nib customazation, I could do that. I figured the wait would be long but was not sure what the time frame would really be.

I really appreciate you sharing your experiences with such detail !

Saintpaulia
October 21st, 2012, 04:49 PM

Well I guess so! You and 99% of the World's fountain pen paupers!:p

ping1974
November 5th, 2012, 08:59 PM
piccolo is my favourite model, it would be perfect if Nakaya can make a slightly longer piccolo at 140-142mm

snedwos
December 15th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I want an aka-tamenuri Naka-ai. So, so desperately. But my grail pen I think has to be the Ascending Dragon Desk Pen. The one I aspire to most.

skyppere
January 10th, 2013, 12:37 PM
When they first became popular the most popular was called the Joan M. almost black body with touches of red around where the cap and barrel meet. That was my first one. I ordered it from Nakaya just because I liked the experience... as long as I was laying out that kind of money for a pen I decided I had to have the converter with the teeeensy weeeensy gold fish hand painted on it. Of course not visible when you're using it but **I** know they're there, swimming around.
My next one was, I forget the name, maybe stone finish? Black and pebbly... very nice.
My last was a jade pen with a tiny silver cat perched on the cap.
Every one of them is a knock out pen. You won't be sorry!
cheers
skyppere

earthdawn
January 11th, 2013, 12:23 AM
When they first became popular the most popular was called the Joan M. almost black body with touches of red around where the cap and barrel meet. That was my first one. I ordered it from Nakaya just because I liked the experience... as long as I was laying out that kind of money for a pen I decided I had to have the converter with the teeeensy weeeensy gold fish hand painted on it. Of course not visible when you're using it but **I** know they're there, swimming around.
My next one was, I forget the name, maybe stone finish? Black and pebbly... very nice.
My last was a jade pen with a tiny silver cat perched on the cap.
Every one of them is a knock out pen. You won't be sorry!
cheers
skyppere

I was looking at the Celluloid Goldfish pen a couple months ago and saw that converter on Nibs.com What a perfect combo I thought. I saw a review somewhere of the pen and the Celluloid they use is just stunning. I can only imagine how it looks in person. I felt the same way too about the converter... even though no one would see it I would know just how cool it is beneath the surface as well.