PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Sheaffer: What causes ink to be stuck in the end of the sac ?

lowks
August 13th, 2015, 02:21 AM
I just got this Sheaffer Balance standard and the pen writes great. The only problem that I face with it is that after travelling tip up in my pocket for some time the ink goes to the other end of the sac (away from the nib) and I have to shake it a bit for the ink to come back down and only then it will start writing again.

Why don't modern pens have this problem ?

kernando
August 13th, 2015, 02:33 AM
But they do. It's worse in converters, but especially in Sailor Chalana ones.

And you want the ink to go away from the nib when you're carrying the pen.

lowks
August 13th, 2015, 05:21 AM
Oh I did not know they are actually worse in converters. In my modern pens the problem seems not that pronounced.

jar
August 13th, 2015, 07:13 AM
I just got this Sheaffer Balance standard and the pen writes great. The only problem that I face with it is that after travelling tip up in my pocket for some time the ink goes to the other end of the sac (away from the nib) and I have to shake it a bit for the ink to come back down and only then it will start writing again.

I would suspect a poorly done restoration and likely damage to the feed itself.

lowks
August 13th, 2015, 07:22 AM

Even though it writes smoothly when ink is in there?

jar
August 13th, 2015, 08:37 AM

Even though it writes smoothly when ink is in there?

Absolutely.

kirchh
August 17th, 2015, 11:15 AM

How do you know the ink is stuck in the other end of the sac? Does the pen have a silicone or PVC sac?

--Daniel

lowks
August 17th, 2015, 11:26 AM

How do you know the ink is stuck in the other end of the sac? Does the pen have a silicone or PVC sac?

--Daniel

Dont know, how to determine that and what difference do they make?

kirchh
August 17th, 2015, 11:37 AM

--Daniel

Dont know, how to determine that and what difference do they make?

Those sacs are transparent, so I thought you might have been pulling the section and seeing the ink stuck in the other end of the sac. So you're saying you don't actually know the cause of the problem you are having?

--Daniel

mhosea
August 17th, 2015, 12:57 PM

I suspect this is the one I sold him (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/12817-Sheaffer-Balance-Standard-Restored). I certainly thought it was fine when it went out, but I'm not perfect, as experience keeps reminding me. I seldom used this pen, being an "oversized" sort of guy, and I didn't carry it. I don't recall any damage to the feed. Pretty sure it has a latex sac. I switched it to silicone when David Nishimura started selling them, but the gas permeability issue persuaded me to switch it back.

IME, the usual cause of this sort of thing is related to the adjustment of the feed or nib. Heat setting might cure it. I used it for awhile before putting it up for sale, just to make sure it was OK, but it was stored horizontally in my pen case. Lowks, how closely does the feed follow the nib at the end? This would be easiest to assess with the pen uninked. The end of the feed should follow the underside of the nib closely. If it seems to diverge, opening up a gap, then that would probably be it. Alternatively, it could be that the feed is tight at the end, but diverges internally. Either way could cause it.

As for this phenomenon occurring more on vintage or modern pens, I have not observed any correlation at all. The phenomenon associated with converters leads to starvation, but this only occurs after writing for a little while, as the ink the feed is used up. What Lowks is describing, as I understand it, is that it won't write at all after being stored nib up (e.g. carried) until the ink gets a chance to flow back to the end of the feed. Most recently I was fixing this on a Waterman L'Etalon.

lowks
August 17th, 2015, 06:43 PM

I suspect this is the one I sold him (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/12817-Sheaffer-Balance-Standard-Restored). I certainly thought it was fine when it went out, but I'm not perfect, as experience keeps reminding me. I seldom used this pen, being an "oversized" sort of guy, and I didn't carry it. I don't recall any damage to the feed. Pretty sure it has a latex sac. I switched it to silicone when David Nishimura started selling them, but the gas permeability issue persuaded me to switch it back.

IME, the usual cause of this sort of thing is related to the adjustment of the feed or nib. Heat setting might cure it. I used it for awhile before putting it up for sale, just to make sure it was OK, but it was stored horizontally in my pen case. Lowks, how closely does the feed follow the nib at the end? This would be easiest to assess with the pen uninked. The end of the feed should follow the underside of the nib closely. If it seems to diverge, opening up a gap, then that would probably be it. Alternatively, it could be that the feed is tight at the end, but diverges internally. Either way could cause it.

As for this phenomenon occurring more on vintage or modern pens, I have not observed any correlation at all. The phenomenon associated with converters leads to starvation, but this only occurs after writing for a little while, as the ink the feed is used up. What Lowks is describing, as I understand it, is that it won't write at all after being stored nib up (e.g. carried) until the ink gets a chance to flow back to the end of the feed. Most recently I was fixing this on a Waterman L'Etalon.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response ! Yes you are right it is the pen you sold me. After people answering here, the pen has been performing without a hitch, so I am guessing I just had to prime it with ink after the long time it spent in travel :)

mhosea
August 17th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the response ! Yes you are right it is the pen you sold me. After people answering here, the pen has been performing without a hitch, so I am guessing I just had to prime it with ink after the long time it spent in travel :)

OK. Just let me know if I can help with anything.

lowks
August 17th, 2015, 08:19 PM

OK. Just let me know if I can help with anything.

Thank you sir for the great pen. This is the second I bought from you. Do knock on my door if have more to sell :)

ac12
August 18th, 2015, 11:28 PM
Just to add info.
I have this very problem with a couple of my old Wearever pens. When stored nib up, the ink drains out of the feed. I have to hold the pen nib down for several seconds, for the ink to flow back into the feed. It is like the feed channel is too wide, or the ink is too wet for the feed. So I have to store these pens flat level, to keep ink in the feed.

lowks
August 19th, 2015, 03:38 AM
Just to add info.
I have this very problem with a couple of my old Wearever pens. When stored nib up, the ink drains out of the feed. I have to hold the pen nib down for several seconds, for the ink to flow back into the feed. It is like the feed channel is too wide, or the ink is too wet for the feed. So I have to store these pens flat level, to keep ink in the feed.

I think that is what is happening to my babies as well

ac12
August 19th, 2015, 07:07 PM
Just to add info.

Not from your description. In my case, I just turn the pen nib down, and the ink will start to fill the feed. I dot not have to shake the pen to get ink into the feed.

Besides, I thought you said the pen is working fine now.

lowks
August 19th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Just to add info.

Not from your description. In my case, I just turn the pen nib down, and the ink will start to fill the feed. I dot not have to shake the pen to get ink into the feed.

Besides, I thought you said the pen is working fine now.

I shake the pen because I am impatient. Sure if I give it more time it would be okay. Babies here refer to my other vintages

lowks
January 3rd, 2016, 09:01 PM
Ok, found out from a local pen doctor that the problem was due to my nib being slightly bent resulting in the ink not coming out smoothly.