PDA

View Full Version : Notebook recommendation: Evil Supply Co!

Avalona
August 14th, 2015, 12:33 PM
The notebooks from Evil Supply Co (https://evilsupply.co/categories/notebooks-and-journals/). are around the size of Field Notes (and similarly soft-cover) with 32 blank pages. I admit the general theme of the store may not appeal to everyone (it's a bit classic monster movie, a bit Victorian horror literature, a bit silly science fiction, a bit Hallowe'en all year round), but their little notebooks are great. I'm using one right now as a task journal, and the paper holds up to fountain pens really well (I've been using a Lamy Safari, F nib, with Sailor Sky High, and Pilot 78G, M nib, with Diamine Red Dragon) - I can't see any notable feathering, and bleedthrough is minimal (not sure if you should use a BB nib on it or particularly wet ink, though). I don't know what the weight of the paper is, but I would say it's somewhere around Leuchtturm1917 and Apica (at least, that's what it reminds me of). I know there's some FP users on their creative team so I figure that's why they made the notebooks so FP-friendly.

I just thought I'd mention them as an alternative to Field Notes (in case people hadn't discovered them yet), because I know how bad FN can be with FPs (I have a couple, and so much feathering. It is ridiculous). :D :D :D

Lady Onogaro
August 14th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Those are really cool. Thanks for the link. I'm going to give them a try (the Kraken and the "No Burned Book Ever Goes Unavenged" appeal).

rdcalhoon
August 14th, 2015, 03:23 PM
I had my order all set up when I noticed that they are 4.25 by 5.5.
Now I have to pause and think a bit.
They have a 10% off sale right now, plus discounts as you order more items.
I may order some and figure out later what I will do with them. My pumpkin patch farms needs these somehow.

caribbean_skye
August 14th, 2015, 09:54 PM
oh wow, thanks for sharing. will certainly have to order a couple as this theme screams me.

Avalona
August 19th, 2015, 10:10 AM
I found on ESC's Tumblr that the paper weight is 60lbs (or around 88gsm according to the converter I just used), so it is decently heavy.

Also, yeah, I did forget that they're a little wider than FN. I keep misplacing my old FN so I didn't have them around to compare, sorry. D:

thudthwacker
October 20th, 2015, 05:41 PM
Doing a slight revival on this very helpful thread (I was wondering if Evil Supply Co.'s nifty books were fountain pen friendly, and this was a top result in the Google search): until Halloween, everything is 25% off. I do believe I'll be picking up a thing or three.

Lady Onogaro
October 20th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Well, they aren't altogether fountain pen friendly (the ones I tried weren't), but they are so much fun it doesn't matter. I use my cool gel pens with them.

caribbean_skye
October 21st, 2015, 05:23 AM
Well, they aren't altogether fountain pen friendly (the ones I tried weren't), but they are so much fun it doesn't matter. I use my cool gel pens with them.

Thats a shame, thanks for the info.