PDA

View Full Version : What is your costliest FP disappointment ?

lowks
August 16th, 2015, 10:38 PM
What is the costliest FP disappointment that you have ever experienced ? Mine has got to be a used old style Omas Paragon I bought from nibs.com. It just was not what I expected. The pen leaks and I have tried various ways to get it fixed up until in the end I gave up, so up until today it still sits in my collection but seldom used. All in all this pen cost me about USD 300 in all.

lsmith42
August 16th, 2015, 10:46 PM
Please say that you have contacted them... they are unusually easy to deal with...

lowks
August 16th, 2015, 10:52 PM
Yes, on multiple occasions and the pen went back a few times too. Staying in Malaysia, so the shipping is painful for me.

jar
August 17th, 2015, 07:03 AM
None so far.

writingrav
August 17th, 2015, 07:35 AM
I hate to say it but it has to be my Visconti Davina Desert Springs. I love the pen. It writes beautifully and is gorgeous, but the filling system (captured converter) is miserable. And even if you manage to get a decent fill, it holds a relatively miniscule amount of ink. At these prices I expect better.

ChrisC
August 17th, 2015, 08:26 AM
What is the costliest FP disappointment that you have ever experienced ? Mine has got to be a used old style Omas Paragon I bought from nibs.com. It just was not what I expected. The pen leaks and I have tried various ways to get it fixed up until in the end I gave up, so up until today it still sits in my collection but seldom used. All in all this pen cost me about USD 300 in all.

You got the pen from nibs.com? That's gotta be one of the most reputable sellers out there. You couldn't get the problem fixed?

lowks
August 17th, 2015, 11:00 AM

You got the pen from nibs.com? That's gotta be one of the most reputable sellers out there. You couldn't get the problem fixed?

No, the pen is little better behaved but it still leaks into the cap every now and then. John pretty much told me that some vintage feeds do behave this way and it was all he could do.

lowks
August 17th, 2015, 11:01 AM
I hate to say it but it has to be my Visconti Davina Desert Springs. I love the pen. It writes beautifully and is gorgeous, but the filling system (captured converter) is miserable. And even if you manage to get a decent fill, it holds a relatively miniscule amount of ink. At these prices I expect better.

Is this the captured converter ?
http://penhabit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/P1000765.jpg

sarahsyers
August 17th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Mont Blanc 149. 1980's vintage. . M nib. I was so bored as soon as I started writing with this pen. It's beautifully made and in immaculate condition, but the nib is just so uninteresting. I will be selling this asap as it was £400. I think I will look for a Waterman vintage flex with the money.

Kaputnik
August 17th, 2015, 12:32 PM
The few really bad pens I've bought have either been quite cheap, or the seller has made good with a repair, refund, or replacement. Or both. Hasn't actually happened that often.

And I've never reached $200 for a pen; the way I feel about it now I probably never will. But I guess the biggest disappointment was an Edison Hudson for about $145. There was nothing positively wrong with it which I could ask the seller or maker to fix, it was just a very "meh" sort of writing instrument, about as good as others that had cost me much less, and because of its size, less comfortable to hold.

Now that I have a better understanding of what I like in a fountain pen, I'm less likely to make that specific sort of mistake, but I'm sure I'll make others.

tandaina
August 17th, 2015, 01:28 PM

Same, but different model: the Ragtime. :\

mhosea
August 17th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Pelikan M1000. Bought a second nib. Ended up sending both to Michael Masuyama. He fixed them up, but after all was said and done, I had sunk about $800 into it. Sold the Broad I had him grind to a stub for me. Kept the medium. It's OK.

Runner ups would be some pens I like OK but just not commensurate with their prices: a couple of Montblanc 149's and the Sailor KoP. I guess I learned that I like big pens up to the Oversized Balance, Montblanc 146, and Pelikan M800 size, but beyond that I don't like them enough.

stub
August 18th, 2015, 12:43 PM
M1000 (B)

I hate this pen more than I have ever hated a pen in my life. Easily the most expensive pen I own. Easily the biggest disappointment. I dreamed of owning one. I have had 200s, 400s, 600s and now an 805, I have had vintage and modern and loved them all. A M1000, the flagship, has to be the top of the mountain right?

I found out otherwise. What an awful horrible pen. I am convinced now that it is just a poor design and the margin for error on that redonkulous nib is just tiny. If you got a good one great, you were lucky. I have had a couple, and some nib replacements and have had dozens pass through my hands since (on a trial/borrow basis, not ownership. I wouldn't buy another at this point). I just don't like the pen, and as it turns out I probably would not love it even if it worked perfectly (M805 is perfect for my hands, the M1000 is too tall making the piston feel ass-heavy). In my experience, unless you bought one from a nib tech, they are very likely to have a bad inverse taper, comically exaggerated baby's bottom or both and really bad flow problems. They are big beautiful objects, they are troublesome imprecise pens. Never again. Those nibs are too big and too mushy (the next M1000 I use that is springy will be the first) and too sloppy. My M805 on the other hand, is pretty much perfect as is nearly every other Pelikan I have owned. Owning the M1000 also soured me bad on the Pelikan brand. A brand new very expensive pen with box and papers and a nib that looked like an elephant sat on it and they gave me all kinds of grief when I sent it in (I bought the pen in one place and sent it in for service in another place) and took many months to address the initial repair.

If you love the M800 and just try the M1000 in the store it is easy to convince yourself it is a safe bet, but trying is not owning and I found my ownership of the M1000 the most expensive most stressful and least satisfying pen purchase ever.

Still kicking myself for going down that road.

Also if I want to wait 6-18 months for a pen repair, I'll buy an Italian pen. </rimshot>

stub
August 18th, 2015, 12:57 PM

No, the pen is little better behaved but it still leaks into the cap every now and then. John pretty much told me that some vintage feeds do behave this way and it was all he could do.[/QUOTE]

Actually that might be true. I have had 3 old Omas pens (50s & mid 60s) and both spit ink in to the cap as both had small (sort of like a Parker 45) feeds but were ebonite. They were juicy wet flex pens and all 3 were repaired buy someone in Italy I know knows Omas very well. I sent them thinking they were cracked but nope. All three were "repaired" and came back to me working nearly the same as I sent them (though the pistons were thankfully lubed so not a total loss).

I then had another pen guy look at 2 of them for me and he said to me, "you might not be able to carry these pens around. They are nice and wet and the feeds keep up nicely with the flex but the cost of that is that the ink is going to seep out into the cap with any significant jostling."

He then held a napkin to different parts of the pen and no ink seeped. Then he held the pen in his hand and gently knocked the hand with his other fist and ink came flying out of the feed. "see, no leak, that is just how this pen is, simple ebonite feed, tiny collector and super wet, use it as a desk pen." They are such cool pens. I do sometimes carry them anyway. I have the 2 now. One's been flipped.

ChrisC
August 18th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Yeah the simple feeds do seem to let ink out more easily, but surely this shouldnt stop them from being carried around? Weren't the pens carried on a daily basis when they were first made? Perhaps a drier, less lubricated ink would be better.

Robert
August 18th, 2015, 04:22 PM

I'm no expert, but I think that's a button filler. I know that the Desert Springs came in that iteration - - nibs.com had a couple of used one for sale a couple weeks ago.

writingrav
August 18th, 2015, 05:09 PM

I'm no expert, but I think that's a button filler. I know that the Desert Springs came in that iteration - - nibs.com had a couple of used one for sale a couple weeks ago.
It may look like a button filler but I'm pretty sure its the captured converter.

sharmon202
August 18th, 2015, 05:23 PM
Can someone explain what a captured converter is? Is it a good thing or not so much?

dannzeman
August 18th, 2015, 05:31 PM

It may look like a button filler but I'm pretty sure its the captured converter.

I believe Visconti calls it the Pull & Turn Piston, but, yes, it's really a captured converter.

writingrav
August 18th, 2015, 05:50 PM
Can someone explain what a captured converter is? Is it a good thing or not so much?

It is a regular converter that is not accessible by opening the pen, but only by turning what otherwise looks like a piston knob. Since it really isn't a piston there is no advantage to it except (in my opinion) deception. It makes the pen harder to clean for no particular reason.

Wile E Coyote
August 18th, 2015, 06:22 PM

It is a regular converter that is not accessible by opening the pen, but only by turning what otherwise looks like a piston knob. Since it really isn't a piston there is no advantage to it except (in my opinion) deception. It makes the pen harder to clean for no particular reason.

But it is a piston filler. Converters can be piston fillers, sacs and pump fillers in the case of the Pilot CON-70. You could even argue that refilling a cartridge is a form of eyedropper filler.

The advantage is that the ink supply is isolated from the body of the pen. This keeps the body from discoloring, insulates the air above the ink from your hand's heat and makes repair much easier and more economical. It also simplifies and economizes production.

I can't understand why people denigrate cartridges and see them inferior to integral filing systems. If something goes wrong with an integral filler it usually requires rebuilding the pen while a cartridge is simply replaced with a new unit. Also, if there's a design flaw with an integral filler it requires a machinist to re-engineer and build a new system to keep the pen in use.

Empty_of_Clouds
August 18th, 2015, 06:51 PM
Waterman's 94, red keyhole nib. No doubt.

I have it with me today at school. It was my costliest pen by a very, very wide margin. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with it. Cosmetically it looks great... but the writing experience is just not there for me. It's my white elephant. And it is one of the principal reasons why my indulgence with vintage fountain pens has come to a screeching halt. People like me simply cannot afford to make this kind of mistake.

lowks
August 18th, 2015, 10:06 PM
Waterman's 94, red keyhole nib. No doubt.

I have it with me today at school. It was my costliest pen by a very, very wide margin. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with it. Cosmetically it looks great... but the writing experience is just not there for me. It's my white elephant. And it is one of the principal reasons why my indulgence with vintage fountain pens has come to a screeching halt. People like me simply cannot afford to make this kind of mistake.

I echo your sentiments, while no doubt there are great vintages out there i just cannot afford the learning fee.

Jon Szanto
August 18th, 2015, 11:00 PM
I've given this some thought, and the thing is that I can't really label it a disappointment. But...

2 years ago at the LA Pen Show I got a Nakaya from nibs.com. It isn't one of the urushi models that most people associate, but a briarwood model that is also offered by Platinum. I love the material and it spoke to me, being a bit different. And then I had John M. do an italic grind on the pen that turned out fabulous. The pen came to me about 1.5 weeks later as I was recuperating from a modest surgery, and I really enjoyed writing with it from the start.

However, time has shown me that the pen itself isn't as comfortable to write with as many of my pens. Un-posted it feels a bit short; posted it feels just a bit back-heavy, and I hesitate to post on the wood (even with as dense as it is). So I have a nib that I really like in a pen that I only kinda like. Nowhere near as expensive as the upper Nakaya models, but I honestly think I'd like to host the nib in something else. I just have to think about what to do.

And that's about it. Fortunately, any of the other pens that cost serious coin have been pleasures, I suppose mostly because I tried them out first, or I just got lucky (as my first Sailor Pro Gear showed me: it was love at first handle).

I like mango pudding
August 19th, 2015, 11:17 PM
Mine has got to be the M400. I thought I was getting a vintage flex nib with it but it ended up being a cracked nib. I got a replacement nib but it's as stiff as a nail. Plus the nib is so narrow and looks so rose gold, I just fell out of love with it. Plus it was a tortoise. Some MBs could have been a contender but so far I am generally satisfied with MB. As for Pelikan, this just about put me off the hunt for a M800 tortoise.

I just don't see the awe in Pelikan now.

lowks
August 19th, 2015, 11:22 PM
Mine has got to be the M400. I thought I was getting a vintage flex nib with it but it ended up being a cracked nib. I got a replacement nib but it's as stiff as a nail. Plus the nib is so narrow and looks so rose gold, I just fell out of love with it. Plus it was a tortoise. Some MBs could have been a contender but so far I am generally satisfied with MB. As for Pelikan, this just about put me off the hunt for a M800 tortoise.

Same here. Tried many times to like Pelikans.

catbert
August 20th, 2015, 06:06 PM
It’s a toss-up between a very expensive Caran d’Ache Léman that Mrs Catbert bought me for my birthday eight years ago - before I really got back into fountain pens or found this place - and an Aurora Archivi Storici 016 acquired this year.

The Caran d’Ache (which I chose) is beautifully made, weighty but balanced, and has an 18K nib some might call butter smooth (not fond of the term) but makes me think ‘rollerball’. I’ve since discovered I prefer feedbacky nibs. For the money it would have been nice to get an integral filling system instead of c/c. No doubt part of the disappointment is guilt that I don’t appreciate and use it more.

The Aurora was much cheaper than the Caran d’Ache, and it shows. I find the materials and finish inferior to my vintage 88. There are quite sharp burrs on the edge of the cap. It’s a dry writer. I believe this model is refurbished NOS based on the Aurora International, a 1960s c/c version of the 98. The matte gold cap and brushed plastic barrel are in keeping with Montblancs and Lamys of the time. It’s a much blingier look than I anticipated. I generally prefer understated pens.

Given that disappointment is the gap between reality and expectation, I’ll keep both pens and either learn to accept their character as adding to the diversity of my somewhat homogenous accumulation, or modify them to suit my limited tastes.

catbert
August 20th, 2015, 06:12 PM

Same here. Tried many times to like Pelikans.

Recently acquired my first Pelikan - a 400NN. Had been hoping for some flex or spring but ended up with a stiff HEF. I was initially disappointed but it has really grown on me. So much so that I'm looking for another vintage Pelikan and open to whatever nib I get.

Jon Szanto
August 21st, 2015, 12:44 AM
Recently acquired my first Pelikan - a 400NN. Had been hoping for some flex or spring but ended up with a stiff HEF. I was initially disappointed but it has really grown on me. So much so that I'm looking for another vintage Pelikan and open to whatever nib I get.

Don't forget these nib units simply screw in/out, and they can be found separately. We have 2 400NNs in our house (both my wife's, dammit!) and they both exhibit a very nice sense of flex. Absolutely killer pens.

catbert
August 21st, 2015, 02:36 AM

Don't forget these nib units simply screw in/out, and they can be found separately. We have 2 400NNs in our house (both my wife's, dammit!) and they both exhibit a very nice sense of flex. Absolutely killer pens.

Yes, I like mine a lot - even without flex. I was bidding for another nib recently and mentally justifying (say) a new 200 to house it. I didn't win, so that idea's on hold for now.

VertOlive
August 21st, 2015, 07:40 PM
I've been very fortunate so far, given that I've never held a pen before buying it.

I have had a dozen disappointments, but I sell or return them immediately and move on so the financial damage is minimal. I have "fired" a MontBlanc, a Pelikan, a Platinum, and a Noodler's (to name a few) for various reasons.

"Pen Fail" vexes me to no end, this is why my collection remains so tiny. I think of it as Diligent Curating! :butcher:

lowks
August 21st, 2015, 08:04 PM
Thinning the herd :)

Mags
August 22nd, 2015, 08:25 AM
A Cross Year of the Dragon limited edition and it just is not for me. I really should sell it to someone who likes fine nibs more than I do.

Sailor Kenshin
August 22nd, 2015, 10:55 AM
My 'costliest' fountain pen disappointment would probably have most of you LOLzing. Simply by price, I mean, and I sold 'em both.

If you MUST know: a Levenger Samba in Coconut (known throughout the rest of the universe as 'white') with a curvy shape but a teeny, slippery metal section, and a Rotring Freeway that was just. Too. Heavy.

Guess it pays to be Supreme Overlord of the Cheapies.

Laurie
August 22nd, 2015, 03:25 PM
No disappointments thus far although I have only purchased pens that have a good reputation and have been recommended. I dont think I will venture into the more exotic Italian pens although I can see the beauty in them. I suppose it is a bit like the Italian motor cars like the Alpha Romeo. They are so beautiful but spend more time in the garage getting repaired.

lowks
August 22nd, 2015, 08:25 PM
I have only purchased pens that have a good reputation and have been recommended. and they are ?

Laurie
August 23rd, 2015, 03:47 PM

I have only purchased pens that have a good reputation and have been recommended. and they are ?

Lamy Alstar, Lamy Studio, Platinum Century 3776, Pelikan 100 and 400, Eversharp Skyline, Faber e motion, and a Waterman Hemisphere with a 14ct preface stub nib interchanged. A Sheaffer Targa as well. So that is my small herd. I always wanted a Waterman Carene but you in fact beat to one that was advertised on this forum earlier this year. I am not sure that really want one now as I think my fountain pen collection is enough. I am presently more interested in buying dip nibs. My latest purchase was a Gillott 604EF which writes better than all my pens and the flex is just unbelievable. Here is small sample of another very nice nib I have. Again very fine hairlines and great flex.

lowks
August 23rd, 2015, 08:20 PM

Lamy Alstar, Lamy Studio, Platinum Century 3776, Pelikan 100 and 400, Eversharp Skyline, Faber e motion, and a Waterman Hemisphere with a 14ct preface stub nib interchanged. A Sheaffer Targa as well. So that is my small herd. I always wanted a Waterman Carene but you in fact beat to one that was advertised on this forum earlier this year. I am not sure that really want one now as I think my fountain pen collection is enough. I am presently more interested in buying dip nibs. My latest purchase was a Gillott 604EF which writes better than all my pens and the flex is just unbelievable. Here is small sample of another very nice nib I have. Again very fine hairlines and great flex.

Nice!

jar
August 23rd, 2015, 08:36 PM
I suppose I could count the Franklin-Christoph pens I bought that use magnetic closure cap systems as a disappointment though hardly costly or a very large disappointment. I thought I'd give the concept a fair try even though it seemed butt silly from the gitgo. They are still okay pens and will likely appeal to someone else but just seem like a poor solution for a non-existent problem.

lowks
August 23rd, 2015, 09:16 PM
I suppose I could count the Franklin-Christoph pens I bought that use magnetic closure cap systems as a disappointment though hardly costly or a very large disappointment. I thought I'd give the concept a fair try even though it seemed butt silly from the gitgo. They are still okay pens and will likely appeal to someone else but just seem like a poor solution for a non-existent problem.

How does the magnetic closure system work ?

jar
August 24th, 2015, 07:39 AM

How does the magnetic closure system work ?

Magnet on body and cap with opposing polarity I imagine.

Laurie
August 25th, 2015, 06:57 AM
It has been some time since I have used one of my fountain pens. I used my Waterman Hemisphere with the gold nib addition. Writes great but problem is that it a very short pen and posting is very poor. The cap doesnt want to sit securely and comes loose. Gladly trade it at this moment. So next I dragged out my Faber emotion. Again great writing experience but unable to post the cap and it is a relatively short pen. Again not so sure i would use it as my fall back pen. Next and last I inked up my Platinum Century 3776 Blue pen with a broad nib. Wow. Posts beautifully and just glides across the paper. My experience with expensive pens is not great but it would have to be a very good pen to exceed my experience with this pen (BTW inked with my J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche. So intoxicating)

DaveBj
August 25th, 2015, 07:29 AM
By no means expensive, but a Chinese Cross that I bought on sale for $20 at OfficeMax simply would not write more than a few words. I've thrown away only two FPs, but this was one of them (the other was one of those $3 Zebras -- what a joke!). I haven't bought any high-end pens, but I've been pretty lucky with what I have bought.

Sailor Kenshin
August 25th, 2015, 09:04 AM
By no means expensive, but a Chinese Cross that I bought on sale for $20 at OfficeMax simply would not write more than a few words. I've thrown away only two FPs, but this was one of them (the other was one of those $3 Zebras -- what a joke!). I haven't bought any high-end pens, but I've been pretty lucky with what I have bought.

:(

I haz a sad...

Scrawler
August 27th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Mont Blanc 149. 1980's vintage. . M nib. I was so bored as soon as I started writing with this pen. It's beautifully made and in immaculate condition, but the nib is just so uninteresting. I will be selling this asap as it was £400. I think I will look for a Waterman vintage flex with the money.

How flexi are you looking for? Do you have any model in mind? Would you consider an exchange?

Sailor Kenshin
August 29th, 2015, 07:05 PM
Again...not terribly costly, but not cheap either...Platinum 3776 Bourgogne, M. Everything works as it should. It's one of my prettiest pens and I knew I had to have one the moment I saw it...but I just can't seem to write well with it, and I don't know why.

junlon
August 30th, 2015, 07:38 AM
Got a Pelikan M250 recently and it skips very bad - but my Pelikan M200 writes very well.

Aleks
August 30th, 2015, 10:45 AM
mine was an OMAS 360... that nib was a painful nightmare... it seems like newer OMAS have better nibs tho :)

Freddie
August 30th, 2015, 12:04 PM
None..nada..zip..naught..nothin'..zero..nil.....

Fred
.....Admittedly the story you are about to read is bizarre...incredible
those of you who wish to avoid being unsettled who wish to avoid
thinking will label it insane and though you the reader would find
these facts almost impossible to substantiate that does not change
their nature facts they are I know I saw them happen................

~ Carl Kolchak ~

Susan3141
August 30th, 2015, 02:03 PM
I just wrote an article for PenAddict about several of my bad purchases, some not too expensive, most VERY expensive. I think the most disappointing has to be the MB 146 that I thought was a true 1950s 146 celluloid. The seller said that the rings were "slightly bent" and the pen was priced accordingly (but it was, as I discovered, way over-priced). The rings weren't slightly bent. They were a disaster (pictures in the link). Superglued on and mangled. Plus, I later found out that the nib was from the 1980s. I put too much money in that pen, and I hate the nib.

Here's the link to my remorse article: http://www.penaddict.com/blog/2015/8/28/buyers-remorse-impulse-buys-and-shady-sellers-the-vagaries-of-buying-fountain-pens-online

Special K
August 31st, 2015, 01:00 AM
That would have to be the Porsche solid. 3135 this gorgeous looking pen won't write a word. Secondly is the Visconti Pininfarina Carbon graphite. This pen dries out over night. The nib is among the smoothest I've used. It just dries too fast. Both pens have been sent back. Maybe they'll make them live up to their price.

Crazyorange
August 31st, 2015, 06:58 AM
I just wrote an article for PenAddict about several of my bad purchases, some not too expensive, most VERY expensive. I think the most disappointing has to be the MB 146 that I thought was a true 1950s 146 celluloid. The seller said that the rings were "slightly bent" and the pen was priced accordingly (but it was, as I discovered, way over-priced). The rings weren't slightly bent. They were a disaster (pictures in the link). Superglued on and mangled. Plus, I later found out that the nib was from the 1980s. I put too much money in that pen, and I hate the nib.

Here's the link to my remorse article: http://www.penaddict.com/blog/2015/8/28/buyers-remorse-impulse-buys-and-shady-sellers-the-vagaries-of-buying-fountain-pens-online

Great article. Thanks for being honest. I thought it was just me....getting hosed by eBay sellers. It feels good to know I'm not alone.

Kaputnik
August 31st, 2015, 07:48 AM
I just wrote an article for PenAddict about several of my bad purchases, some not too expensive, most VERY expensive...Here's the link to my remorse article: http://www.penaddict.com/blog/2015/8/28/buyers-remorse-impulse-buys-and-shady-sellers-the-vagaries-of-buying-fountain-pens-online

Definitely some things there that many of us can relate to, whether we buy pens in that price range or not. My one FPN classifieds purchase did involve a seller understating the pen's defects. And it took a long time to straighten out an issue with an eBay seller who was probably as much incompetent as he was deliberately deceptive. In the end, when I finally had all my money back including shipping costs I generously left him neutral feedback, only to get an angry message that I was being "nastie" (sic). He was right to object; I could not possibly recommend anyone to do business with him and should have left a negative.

Laura N
August 31st, 2015, 08:00 AM
Well, I was egregiously cheated by a buyer here on FPG. So it goes both ways. If someone values their integrity at less than $100, and thinks it's okay to lie to and cheat other people, there's not much they won't do on either side of a transaction.

I think that's a people issue more than a pen issue. If that makes sense.

lowks
August 31st, 2015, 11:12 AM
Sometimes I think the way a seller and a buyer perceives a pen condition is in the crux of the matter. Eg, "user grade" and "pristine" could carry different meaning to different FP users.

FredRydr
August 31st, 2015, 08:42 PM
A Montblanc WE Fitzgerald, the only limited edition MB I ever bought new. It was pretty, especially the deco clip. Alas, it's weight was a turn-off, and the cap was a lead weight. Runner up was a new Visconti Wall Street LE, with its overly complex filling system that was impossible to flush well, and again, it was ridiculously weighted. A truncheon!

They were both purchased early in my fountain pen collecting experience. Live and learn.

Fred

Scrawler
September 1st, 2015, 04:15 AM
A Montblanc WE Fitzgerald, the only limited edition MB I ever bought new. It was pretty, especially the deco clip. Alas, it's weight was a turn-off, and the cap was a lead weight. Runner up was a new Visconti Wall Street LE, with its overly complex filling system that was impossible to flush well, and again, it was ridiculously weighted. A truncheon!

They were both purchased early in my fountain pen collecting experience. Live and learn.

Fred
My only exposure to the Visconti Wall St was when a friend needed his pens cleaning. I found that it was almost impossible to flush completely without removing the nib. You almost get the impression they did not assume that people would want to change inks.

Waltman
September 1st, 2015, 07:04 AM

Fred
My only exposure to the Visconti Wall St was when a friend needed his pens cleaning. I found that it was almost impossible to flush completely without removing the nib. You almost get the impression they did not assume that people would want to change inks.

I have a Wall Street LE and it is a pain to flush w/o removing the nib. I rolled up my sleeves and, after soaking in warm water and a struggle (with colorful language), I finally finessed the nib off of the pen. Once the nib is removed, it is easy to clean with a syringe bulb and Q-tips. A thin layer of silicone grease will hopefully facilitate removal at a later time.

pajaro
September 1st, 2015, 02:09 PM
A Montblanc 146 seemed to be a great disappointment after I got it, because it skipped pretty regularly. I set it aside for a long time. Then recently I sent it to The Write Pen and it came back perfect. So, you should keep the faith and not lose heart.

There are a lot of complaints about Pelikan M1000 pens in this thread. I have had two, and both were exciting (O3B nib) and perfectly fine writing (Fine nib).

What disappoints me in some pens now is when they won't start a day after filling or when they skip or otherwise miswrite. I find this kind of thing more with modern day pens than with pens of the 1960s and before, but a few modern day pens are perfect, the rest disappointing.

Special K
September 2nd, 2015, 09:22 PM
That would have to be the Porsche solid. 3135 this gorgeous looking pen won't write a word. Secondly is the Visconti Pininfarina Carbon graphite. This pen dries out over night. The nib is among the smoothest I've used. It just dries too fast. Both pens have been sent back. Maybe they'll make them live up to their price.

Someone mentioned, about hopefully avoiding having warranty work done on a Visconti. Is that simply because they are in Italy or they are a nightmare to deal with or all of the above? Also, is it the same with Pelikan? Thanx

coase
September 8th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Montblanc 146. It was a gift for a special occasion. It leaked and skipped. The leaking was fixed but it never wrote the way I wanted it to. Not quite wet or smooth enough for me. My vintage Sheaffers and Parkers were way better and I don't worry about losing a big ticket item. I don't resell it because it was a gift but I don't plan on using it regularly.

Poeticnook
February 17th, 2016, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't say it's costly but from all my pens, this is the only one that disappointed me - the faber castell ondoro, I got one with a broad nib and it writes really nice, but then the cap doesn't seal well, so the nib dries out when not used for say a day, it's a hard starter and you have to coax the ink out for it to write again, I think they should design a better cap seal to remedy this issue

ian1964
February 17th, 2016, 08:57 PM
Not so much the Pen but the nib. The EF nib on my Pelikan M200. Everyone was raving about the Pelikan EF nib on another forum so I bought one. Well, no matter what did it just scratched the paper. So, I thought what the hell.....I wrote several words on a sheet of 1200 Grit wet and Dry. Then smoothed it off with 2400 to 12000 Grit paper and WOW! OK, not an EF anymore but a great Medium stub I use for work.

lowks
February 17th, 2016, 09:12 PM
Not so much the Pen but the nib. The EF nib on my Pelikan M200. Everyone was raving about the Pelikan EF nib on another forum so I bought one. Well, no matter what did it just scratched the paper. So, I thought what the hell.....I wrote several words on a sheet of 1200 Grit wet and Dry. Then smoothed it off with 2400 to 12000 Grit paper and WOW! OK, not an EF anymore but a great Medium stub I use for work.

Ended well enough [emoji4]

top pen
February 18th, 2016, 01:29 AM

Funny I had exactly the same experience with a Fine M200. Scratchy, dry wouldn't really write. I had to mess around with that pen for hours before I managed to get it to write properly and had to use sheets from 4000-12000 grit I ended up with a stub, with a slightly left oblique nib on it. Writes well now however it has scared me off buying another Pelikan any time soon.

penwash
February 18th, 2016, 09:05 AM

Did you retain any tipping material after you smooth it?
I smooth a lot of nibs and it's rare that I ended up with a Medium starting from an EF unless I grind it to a... well, stub.

ian1964
February 18th, 2016, 09:24 PM
No Penwash...no tipping left. It is a bit like the Parsons Itallix pen I got from Massdrop now. My nib resembles an Itallic or Stub now.

penwash
February 18th, 2016, 11:22 PM
No Penwash...no tipping left. It is a bit like the Parsons Itallix pen I got from Massdrop now. My nib resembles an Itallic or Stub now.

That makes more sense.
A nib without any tipping material will eventually be worn out by using it on paper. It'll take longer for steel nibs, and sooner for gold ones.
That's why re-tipping services exist.

Having said that, you may decide not to pay for re-tipping for a couple of reasons (that I can think of): You may plan to use the nib sparingly, or you don't feel the nib is worthwhile to pay for its re-tipping, or whatever. Re-tipping is not a must, it's just an option to consider.

Mister5
March 10th, 2016, 07:12 AM
I had an azure Vacumatic that I won off eBay around 2003. The thing leaked regularly. It sat in the drawer until I decided to clean out and just threw it away. I didn't know about getting pens repaired hence my idiotic move.

lowks
March 10th, 2016, 07:15 AM
I had an azure Vacumatic that I won off eBay around 2003. The thing leaked regularly. It sat in the drawer until I decided to clean out and just threw it away. I didn't know about getting pens repaired hence my idiotic move. Ugh, how much did you had to pay for it?

Silverbreeze
March 10th, 2016, 07:23 AM
The mosquito filler on my Typhoon just never worked right for me. Great pen though

Titivillus
March 10th, 2016, 11:31 AM
A Visconti Manhattan in blue. Loved the pen and it wrote like a dream but then ink leaked between the celluloid and filler discoloring it. Sent it back and they returned it with no repair so I sold it as I'd rather not have to look at it.

Mister5
March 10th, 2016, 05:01 PM
It's been so long I don't recall. Back then I'm guessing around $50. My latest debacle with a Vacumatic is getting one repaired and then dropping it nib down on a cement floor later that week.

lowks
March 10th, 2016, 05:29 PM
It's been so long I don't recall. Back then I'm guessing around $50. My latest debacle with a Vacumatic is getting one repaired and then dropping it nib down on a cement floor later that week.

Hurts even reading that!