PDA

View Full Version : Diamine announce their 10 new Shimmertastic Inks!!!!

Chrissy
August 20th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Diamine have announced today that they are almost ready to launch their latest "shimmer" inks. They should be available at the end of September or the beginning of October. :)

They are called Diamine Shimmertastic inks, and each ink will come in a 50ml glass bottle. Each ink contains either silver or gold particles and these are the colours:

NIGHT SKY ( Black/Silver)
BLUE PEARL ( Blue / Silver) A medium blue shade
PURPLE PAZZAZZ (Purple / Gold)
MAGICAL FOREST (Green/ Silver)
BLUE LIGHTNING (Blue / Silver) A cerulean type blue shade
RED LUSTRE (Red / Gold)
SHIMMERING SEAS (Blue / Gold) A blue-black shade
BRANDY DAZZLE (Brown / Gold)
GOLDEN SANDS (Yellow / Gold)
SPARKLING SHADOWS ( Grey / Gold)

Reviews to follow soon. :)

Laura N
August 20th, 2015, 09:29 AM
I'm excited to see them all.

sgtstretch
August 20th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Are these a response to J. Herbin's 1670 inks I wonder?

fqgouvea
August 20th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Are these a response to J. Herbin's 1670 inks I wonder?

One would assume so!

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

Jon Szanto
August 20th, 2015, 09:58 AM
It's turning into a "My Little Pony" world.

jar
August 20th, 2015, 10:03 AM

Not even eye black is sacrosanct.

markc
August 20th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Well this could get interesting.. A J.Herbin/Diamine ink war. :)

Unfortunately, most of my nibs are XXF/XF with the biggest being a Medium nib.. So these inks are fairly useless to me.

Chrissy
August 20th, 2015, 10:20 AM
This range of inks has already taken two and a half years to get to this pre-launch stage.

Chrissy
August 20th, 2015, 10:23 AM

Unfortunately, most of my nibs are XXF/XF with the biggest being a Medium nib.. So these inks are fairly useless to me.

I think you will find that they will work with F and M nibs. However, you may not see so much gold or silver with finer lines.

rafapa
August 20th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Do you know if they will be sell as a set or individually?

Chrissy
August 20th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Do you know if they will be sell as a set or individually?

They will be sold individually.

Sammyo
August 20th, 2015, 10:54 AM
:jaw::bounce::hail:

migo984
August 20th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Reminds me of that film.... Paint Your Bandwagon. If you run out of ideas, add glitter.

rafapa
August 20th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Thanks

TSherbs
August 20th, 2015, 01:54 PM
Is "Shimmertastic" a translation? Or did someone in marketing actually choose that word originally in English? :confused:

mhosea
August 20th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Is "Shimmertastic" a translation? Or did someone in marketing actually choose that word originally in English? :confused:

You just reminded me of "INTERPRETING FOR THE NEDS: RAB MCGLINCHY"

https://youtu.be/xk0sS4IFGXA

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cun-LZvOTdw

TSherbs
August 20th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Mike: HA!

FredRydr
August 20th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Each bottle comes with a miniature plumber's drain auger for your feed.

Fred

writingrav
August 20th, 2015, 02:58 PM
I'm feeling like we are being bullied by the marketers. I don't think the J. Herbin inks are all that fantastic. The gold piles up, spreads irregularly and without it the inks themselves are pedestrian. (I haven't tried the latest, so maybe they're getting better.) I use a lot of Diamine inks and don't feel the need for gold shimmertastic effects in my writing. Just one man's opinion.

Jon Szanto
August 20th, 2015, 03:16 PM

You say that as if it were a complete impossibility for you to own at least one pen with a decent sized nib. :)

mhosea
August 20th, 2015, 03:27 PM
and without it the inks themselves are pedestrian.

In what sense? I regard the original Bleu Ocean and Rouge Hematite as a couple of my favorite inks of all time in terms of performance. I'm not all that fond of the color of Bleu Ocean (it is rather boring in that sense), but even the color of Rouge Hematite is pretty fantastic. You can go a long way without finding a bright red that actually stays that bright when it dries on the page. Most reds look so promising when they go down but turn dull when they dry. There are times when I wish Rouge Hematite didn't have any sheen because the brownish sheen obscures the red color where it impinges.

migo984
August 20th, 2015, 03:34 PM
I'm feeling like we are being bullied by the marketers. I don't think the J. Herbin inks are all that fantastic. The gold piles up, spreads irregularly and without it the inks themselves are pedestrian. (I haven't tried the latest, so maybe they're getting better.) I use a lot of Diamine inks and don't feel the need for gold shimmertastic effects in my writing. Just one man's opinion.

I agree. Diamine copyists would have seen Herbin's development back at the start, waited a while, consulted a few daft focus groups or users and replicated the idea.

I bought the Stormy Grey but quickly gave up using it. Same with the others, after trying samples. I'm not a huge fan of Diamine inks anyway; most are pedestrian (a handful are good), and adding glitter won't change that. I can just buy a glitter gel pen if I needed that kind of effect. Or add artists' metals to standard ink.
Hopefully this trend will go away quickly. And that name: "Shimmertastic" . What a shocker. :puke:

migo984
August 20th, 2015, 03:37 PM

Fred

I'm betting we see the first lot of reviews written with lower-end pens. Unless I see reviews written using a top quality or vintage pen I won't believe that the reviewers fully trust the ink.

Chrissy
August 20th, 2015, 03:44 PM

Fred

I haven't found that I needed one. They all clean out of my pens easily.

mhosea
August 20th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Well, if somebody wants to send me samples, I'll review them in a Montblanc 149. :)

Jon Szanto
August 20th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Hopefully this trend will go away quickly.

Well, hey... I mean, no one is *forced* to buy and use it! I know a lot of people who do, and I just enjoy it for the occasional addressing of an envelope, or signing a card on a special occasion. I like options in life, and that's all these are. ;)

caribbean_skye
August 20th, 2015, 05:41 PM
heh. probably one of the few ways to make me contemplate wanting to use a black ink

inklord
August 20th, 2015, 06:04 PM

Twinkle, twinkle little inkdrop... I'm ready to decant some of my wife's Stormy Grey off the gold sludge at the bottom of the bottle - the dark grey is actually great! (Right now I just fill my pens off the top without prior shaking. Funny enough, I think she's not using the sparkles either...)

tandaina
August 20th, 2015, 06:43 PM
YAYAYAYAY! :)

tandaina
August 20th, 2015, 06:45 PM

Fred

I'm betting we see the first lot of reviews written with lower-end pens. Unless I see reviews written using a top quality or vintage pen I won't believe that the reviewers fully trust the ink.

I use my current "shimmer" inks (the J. Hebrin) in every damn pen I own including a $1,200 Nakaya. I'll use these as well. In fact I'm looking forward to these in my vintage full flex music nib. That will be amazing for Xmas cards! I'm not sure why people baby pens so much, they were made for ink, and in my experience, with rare exception, they work with INK.

tandaina
August 20th, 2015, 06:46 PM
If ya don't like inks with sheen, or inks with sparkly bits, don't buy them. I'm really glad those of us who like using these sorts of inks will have more choices, especially finally silver. I'm not really a fan of gold, much prefer silver so this is great news for me.

migo984
August 20th, 2015, 07:34 PM
If ya don't like inks with sheen, or inks with sparkly bits, don't buy them.

Errrr, why are you so uptight about people critiquing or disliking glitter inks? So what if some do? We don't all have the same tastes.
I think this is a gimmick, and pretty silly, and I'll say so. I know it won't change people's opinions, and isn't intended to do so. It's just one point of view. It also doesn't mean I don't think they will sell. Someone will always buy stuff like this.

So thanks for the "advice" - I like sheen, dislike glitter, so I won't be. In the same vein, I'm very happy for you & your Xmas cards.

migo984
August 20th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Hopefully this trend will go away quickly.

Well, hey... I mean, no one is *forced* to buy and use it! I know a lot of people who do, and I just enjoy it for the occasional addressing of an envelope, or signing a card on a special occasion. I like options in life, and that's all these are. ;)

Well Jon, thanks for the homily. I don't recall suggesting that it is compulsory to buy them. It's just my opinion. We're all allowed to have them, and to state them, right?

FredRydr
August 20th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Eaaasy does it. It's just ink.

I wonder if these glitter inks were on the ink table at the DC show? I should've taken the time to look.

Fred

tandaina
August 20th, 2015, 08:31 PM
There has simply been a rather annoying tendency of late for folks to label anything they aren't a fan of a 'fad' they hope passes soon. There are truly hundreds of ink options without a hint of glitter for those who dislike it. Almost certainly most ink release from here out won't have it either. I just get tired of the assumption that because something doesn't work for you it doesn't work for anyone and is a fad that should pass. I don't like black inks but I don't criticise the release of new ones, I just don't buy the boring stuff.

The comments about 'my little pony' and fads. I've just had enough of that today. I'm glad to see new interesting things done with ink as otherwise it is pretty much unchanged for 100 years. Let us enjoy our sparkly fun without being equated with children.

Newjelan
August 20th, 2015, 10:01 PM
I'm both excited and dismayed about Diamine introducing these inks.

Excited because I love the 4 J. Herbin ones and use the Blue, Grey & Emerald for everyday writing and Rouge for fun. I use them in all my pens and find the ink flushes put really easily - easier than many other inks. So more of these inks is great IMHO.

I am dismayed because I have so much ink - several lifetimes worth - and I was hoping I could stop buying it for a couple of years at least. But, that looks far less likely now.

Jon Szanto
August 20th, 2015, 11:38 PM
Well Jon, thanks for the homily. I don't recall suggesting that it is compulsory to buy them. It's just my opinion. We're all allowed to have them, and to state them, right?

C'mon, be fair. :) I wasn't castigating you, or anyone, but you *did* say that you wished the fad would pass, which I take to mean that you hope these inks cease production or something. All I was doing - and of course, just another opinion - was to point out that there are a lot of people who seem to really like this stuff. If it floats their boat, I'm happy for them. I think some of the fad stuff is nuts (I've never been a total fanboi of Noodlers), and I'll probably never own one of the Lamy Safaris, but I sure as heck don't mind other people liking and having them.

That's all, nothing more. <3

Empty_of_Clouds
August 21st, 2015, 12:47 AM
In my position it's hard enough trying to get my hands on the ordinary inks... any of them... but I have rather enjoyed the sparkly reviews that show them off in all their glory. And I like the reviews that show all the sheeny goodness too. The recent Chivor Emerald was very entertaining. I wish I could try them really. With that possibility being nothing more than a pipe dream, I rely on the good people here to do the trying for me! :) 'sides which, I don't have any pens that would do them justice. You guy/gals do. So, have at it!

Jon Szanto
August 21st, 2015, 12:56 AM
The comments about 'my little pony' and fads. I've just had enough of that today. I'm glad to see new interesting things done with ink as otherwise it is pretty much unchanged for 100 years. Let us enjoy our sparkly fun without being equated with children.

Hon, you yourself are no stranger to putting strong opinions in print, so be fair. If you'll note, I posted two sentiments: one, a tongue-in-cheek poke at glitter and ponies, and another, suggesting people should be open to many options. Be certain you are getting the entire picture, and take into account those of us who make these remarks - sometimes with good humor, sometimes with more serious intent - accordingly.

I rarely say it, but at this point we all need to lighten up and have a bit of a smile. As the wise singer said: "Don't worry, be happy!"

Empty_of_Clouds
August 21st, 2015, 01:33 AM
Utterly unrelated video. I have no idea who any of these people are, but it was still pretty funny. :pound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufGlBv8Z3NU

Morgaine
August 21st, 2015, 02:03 AM
Oh dear! If I spill one of my favourite inks, maybe I can justify a new ink order!

Jon Szanto
August 21st, 2015, 02:06 AM
Utterly unrelated video. I have no idea who any of these people are, but it was still pretty funny. :pound:

BLR, the creators of those videos, have taken internet commentary (and mockery) all the way into the realm of high art. Brilliant stuff. :)

The Good Captain
August 21st, 2015, 03:03 AM
The one I like and have used occasionally, is the Shimmering Seas blue-black/gold. It's really quite classy.

Chrissy
August 21st, 2015, 03:08 AM

I use my current "shimmer" inks (the J. Hebrin) in every damn pen I own including a $1,200 Nakaya. I'll use these as well. In fact I'm looking forward to these in my vintage full flex music nib. That will be amazing for Xmas cards! I'm not sure why people baby pens so much, they were made for ink, and in my experience, with rare exception, they work with INK.

Plus 1 for what tandaina said.

Some comments on this thread have challenged my FPG ignore list, because when they are quoted by others I can see them. Granted, I can still ignore them and usually do, but I would just like to say that I will be posting some reviews of these inks and I will use any darn pen I like when I'm writing them. I certainly don't need to cater for someone who has confirmed (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/295224-why-swab-test-with-multiple-passes/?p=3430538) and I quote; "I never take much notice of other peoples' written exemplars/reviews either." Why would I?

I have had several of these inks in some of my pens for many months, and have written with them intermittently during that time, on many different papers. I have kept some pens filled and/or refilled with these inks and I haven't always cleaned them out on refilling, when I have just refilled them with the same colour. I have deliberately used the inks in different types of pens. For example pens like my Pilot CH demonstrators that have nibs and feeds that I can remove and separate, so I can clearly see with or without a loupe whether there are any particles left on the feed or not. And pens that can't have their nibs and feeds removed like my Sheaffer Targa Classic that has had either this green or gold ink in it for a long time. Plus my Parker Sonnet Moonbeam that I like to have filled with the grey. These are by no means top quality pens, like Nakayas, but I don't have any Nakayas. I have used these inks in my Montblanc Boheme too, because I wanted to try them out in cartridge form.

When I post my reviews, they will be based on my opinions after having tested the ink for a long time. If you care to read or look at them I hope you will see what these inks look like in my pens, using my paper, written in my house, in British weather, and cleaned out with Southern water that can be hard. They will also be scanned or photographed onto my computer that may or may not make them look different to how they look on yours.

Your view may vary and if it didn't we would all have the same pens and use the same ink. Thankfully, we don't as we are all individuals.

Chrissy
August 21st, 2015, 03:12 AM

I assume it was chosen originally in English

Chrissy
August 21st, 2015, 03:13 AM
Well, if somebody wants to send me samples, I'll review them in a Montblanc 149. :)

I could find out if I can take you up on that offer. :)

Chrissy
August 21st, 2015, 03:39 AM
The one I like and have used occasionally, is the Shimmering Seas blue-black/gold. It's really quite classy.

That is one of my favourites too. But I also like Sparkling Shadows grey and gold.

Empty_of_Clouds
August 21st, 2015, 03:44 AM
Some comments on this thread have challenged my FPG ignore list, because when they are quoted by others I can see them. Granted, I can still ignore them and usually do, but I would just like to say that I will be posting some reviews of these inks and I will use any darn pen I like when I'm writing them. I certainly don't need to cater for someone who has confirmed (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/295224-why-swab-test-with-multiple-passes/?p=3430538) and I quote; "I never take much notice of other peoples' written exemplars/reviews either." Why would I?

If I may say a couple of things here.

Firstly, I did go and read that linked post. The way I interpreted it though was as saying that an ink review is really a "Hey, look at this, and what it can do" kind of thing, rather than anything especially definitive. I can dig that. Given the myriad variables involved - people, pens, computer screens, whether there is an 'R' in the month, sunspots and so on - I tend to view ink reviews as a sort of doorway that has been left temptingly ajar. If it's tempting enough then the ink may go on the purchase list (obviously this is theoretical because I haven't actually got such a list, but there it is). I try to see past the way things are worded to the intent, which is not always that easy. I do try though. :)

Secondly, and this is the more serious of these two points, I must consider myself a bit of a failure as I haven't managed to get on anyone's 'Ignore List' (as far as I know). I mean, how difficult can it be, hmmm? What am I doing wrong?

[img]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5619/20569196139_a14b11da26_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/xkCvoK)

Chrissy
August 21st, 2015, 03:54 AM
If I may say a couple of things here.

Firstly, I did go and read that linked post. The way I interpreted it though was as saying that an ink review is really a "Hey, look at this, and what it can do" kind of thing, rather than anything especially definitive. I can dig that. Given the myriad variables involved - people, pens, computer screens, whether there is an 'R' in the month, sunspots and so on - I tend to view ink reviews as a sort of doorway that has been left temptingly ajar. If it's tempting enough then the ink may go on the purchase list (obviously this is theoretical because I haven't actually got such a list, but there it is). I try to see past the way things are worded to the intent, which is not always that easy. I do try though. :)

Secondly, and this is the more serious of these two points, I must consider myself a bit of a failure as I haven't managed to get on anyone's 'Ignore List' (as far as I know). I mean, how difficult can it be, hmmm? What am I doing wrong?

I only showed the post as a whole post to illustrate that the comment I selected and quoted was made in it. The rest of the post was in the vein of "look at this and what it can do." But I didn't like to quote a portion of the post without showing the post it came from. That was all.

I don't think you made it onto anyone's ignore list Cryptos, you're not a failure and you're too nice. :)

Chrissy
August 21st, 2015, 06:00 AM
I would just like to make an additional comment about Diamine allegedly copying J. Herbin by producing these inks, and say that it was actually the launch of the 150th Anniversary inks that delayed the shimmer inks project, as it is difficult to launch anniversary inks after the anniversary date.

View from the Loft
August 21st, 2015, 06:19 AM
Wow, this thread has taken me by surprise - we don't often see such apparently heated comments over here, we're normally much more live and let live.

Anyway, my tuppence worth.

Of the Herbin series, the only one that has "grabbed" me is the Emerald of Chivor, and that's more because of the is it blue, is it green, and the sheen that it seems to display. So yes, I will be buying a bottle of it later this year.

And then Diamine go and announce this series.

Well great - it's good to see a British company in the pen related world doing well at them moment, given the demise of CS and the stagnation of Onoto. And I'll wait and look at the reviews before doing anything.

There are some good Diamine inks, and some that just do nothing for me - but then, that applies to all ink manufacturers.

Chrissy, The Good Captain - are we likely to see reviews of these inks and will they be in stock in time for me to purchase (if any of them are stunning enough to make me break my ink buying embargo for the second time this year) at the London show?

TerraNoir
August 21st, 2015, 06:34 AM
Woooooooooow. Drama bomb!!

All I want to say is that I am pretty darn excited about these Diamine inks. I enjoy having different inks with different properties that can give different expressions to my writing. Besides this is probably as closest to shimmery, glittery stuff as I get. Much to many dismay! So I can't wait to see these inks hit the shelves. It sounds like i may get a huge ink haul for the holidays.

TSherbs
August 21st, 2015, 06:53 AM
Wow, this thread has taken me by surprise - we don't often see such apparently heated comments over here, we're normally much more live and let live....

This forum is more tolerant, yes, but only of rudeness. This is the only forum where I have to use the block function. I am not sure which threads you have been reading, but I am glad that you are happy here.

Sailor Kenshin
August 21st, 2015, 08:09 AM
I can just buy a glitter gel pen if I needed that kind of effect. Or add artists' metals to standard ink.

I actually did run some ink-speriments with artists' metals, and reached the same conclusion.

reprieve
August 21st, 2015, 08:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbZSe6N_BXs

Sailor Kenshin
August 21st, 2015, 08:20 AM
For whatever bizarre reason, I cannot edit my above post to add: the JH shimmer inks are obviously compounded with much finer glitter particles than are available to me. I was able to add shimmer, but it LOOKED like a Sakura Gelly Roll so I gave up on it. Stormy Gray has shimmer. I came up with glitter.

dannzeman
August 21st, 2015, 09:51 AM
I'm really looking forward to the Blue Pearl and Blue Lightning. I hope the silver really pops! I should probably start looking for a BBB nib for my M805...

Chrissy
August 21st, 2015, 10:11 AM
Wow, this thread has taken me by surprise - we don't often see such apparently heated comments over here, we're normally much more live and let live.

Anyway, my tuppence worth.

Of the Herbin series, the only one that has "grabbed" me is the Emerald of Chivor, and that's more because of the is it blue, is it green, and the sheen that it seems to display. So yes, I will be buying a bottle of it later this year.

And then Diamine go and announce this series.

Well great - it's good to see a British company in the pen related world doing well at them moment, given the demise of CS and the stagnation of Onoto. And I'll wait and look at the reviews before doing anything.

There are some good Diamine inks, and some that just do nothing for me - but then, that applies to all ink manufacturers.

Chrissy, The Good Captain - are we likely to see reviews of these inks and will they be in stock in time for me to purchase (if any of them are stunning enough to make me break my ink buying embargo for the second time this year) at the London show?

I can confirm that I have already written some reviews and am merely awaiting permission from Diamine before I post them. I am sorry but I really don't know if they will be in stock in time for you to purchase at the London Pen Show. It would be great if they were. :)

Chrissy
August 21st, 2015, 10:13 AM
I'm really looking forward to the Blue Pearl and Blue Lightning. I hope the silver really pops! I should probably start looking for a BBB nib for my M805...

I think the silver really pops in both of those blues. I haven't tried either of them with a BBB nib though......

Chrissy
August 21st, 2015, 10:17 AM
For whatever bizarre reason, I cannot edit my above post to add: the JH shimmer inks are obviously compounded with much finer glitter particles than are available to me. I was able to add shimmer, but it LOOKED like a Sakura Gelly Roll so I gave up on it. Stormy Gray has shimmer. I came up with glitter.

This is an interesting one. I think what's happened is that ink companies have found a way of adding superfine particles to ink. I have some liquid gold paints with particles in, but they need a heck of a lot more shaking up to disperse them than these inks do. Yes there is definitely a difference between shimmer and glitter

Lady Onogaro
August 21st, 2015, 11:41 AM
I like your reviews, Chrissy, and I look forward to seeing these, too. Thanks for taking the time to do them.

I haven't bought any inks with gold or silver particles, but I still enjoy seeing reviews of them (all inks, really).

View from the Loft
August 21st, 2015, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE=

I can confirm that I have already written some reviews and am merely awaiting permission from Diamine before I post them. I am sorry but I really don't know if they will be in stock in time for you to purchase at the London Pen Show. It would be great if they were. :)[/QUOTE]

Great, thank you. I look forward to your reviews.

Empty_of_Clouds
August 21st, 2015, 03:41 PM
This is not the first time I feel as though I am missing some vital piece of information, and I daresay it won't be the last.

Chrissy, if the question isn't too impertinent, what is your connection with the company that makes Diamine inks, given that you always have review samples before the inks are released into the wild?

mhosea
August 21st, 2015, 04:01 PM
Chrissy, if the question isn't too impertinent, what is your connection with the company that makes Diamine inks, given that you always have review samples before the inks are released into the wild?

I wouldn't know about any particular people or companies besides the ones that I've personally been involved with, but it's uber common that companies enlist the efforts of enthusiastic customers who can provide valuable feedback during development, do "beta" testing, and in some cases to review new products. Usually such people are paid in "peanuts". That is to say, they are not compensated with money, rather by the privilege of trying things early, the pride of being an insider to some degree, and the warm satisfaction of helping out.

Chrissy
August 21st, 2015, 04:13 PM
This is not the first time I feel as though I am missing some vital piece of information, and I daresay it won't be the last.

Actually, this is the first time I have ever had any review samples before the inks are released into the wild. As I have been doing some reviews of Diamine inks, they asked me if I would like to test some new inks. So I said yes.

Chrissy
August 21st, 2015, 04:15 PM

I wouldn't know about any particular people or companies besides the ones that I've personally been involved with, but it's uber common that companies enlist the efforts of enthusiastic customers who can provide valuable feedback during development, do "beta" testing, and in some cases to review new products. Usually such people are paid in "peanuts". That is to say, they are not compensated with money, rather by the privilege of trying things early, the pride of being an insider to some degree, and the warm satisfaction of helping out.

Yes I agree with this. :)

Chrissy
August 21st, 2015, 04:16 PM
I like your reviews, Chrissy, and I look forward to seeing these, too. Thanks for taking the time to do them.

I haven't bought any inks with gold or silver particles, but I still enjoy seeing reviews of them (all inks, really).

Thank you. You're very welcome :)

Empty_of_Clouds
August 21st, 2015, 04:32 PM
Ah, I see. Well, I have never heard of such things happening. How does the company know who to ask? Do they have someone on media watch or something? Just curious.

mhosea
August 21st, 2015, 04:48 PM
How does the company know who to ask? Do they have someone on media watch or something?

I assume this is a general question, and since I'm the one who provided the general response, I'll answer it. It varies by context or industry. Like I said, I know my own best. Perhaps a large, non-technical industry might employ something as droll as an employee on "media watch". In technical industries I think it tends to be more organic. We get requests for features, requests for technical support, bug reports, and crash dumps, so we have some information coming in automatically that we need only pay attention to in order to observe who is pushing our product to its limits and is likely to have useful insights. A small company producing fountain pen ink is likely just to pay attention to reviews their product gets, not because anybody is exclusively tasked with that responsibility, rather because they are themselves interested and read what people are saying.

Empty_of_Clouds
August 21st, 2015, 05:06 PM
Of course, how dense (and predictable) of me not to have figured that out for myself. :o

Jon Szanto
August 21st, 2015, 05:40 PM
And, in this day and age, it could simply start off with a Google alert primed with "Diamine review" or something similar.

The Good Captain
August 22nd, 2015, 02:33 AM

I too have some reviews done and just need the go-ahead. Some of my samples were or a pre-production batch, which I believe, were sent out for opinion. For example, gold or silver particles in a particular colour. Therefore, I won't be posting those, for obvious reasons. Still not sure about launch and availability though.

The Good Captain
August 22nd, 2015, 02:56 AM

Actually, this is the first time I have ever had any review samples before the inks are released into the wild. As I have been doing some reviews of Diamine inks, they asked me if I would like to test some new inks. So I said yes.

Pretty much the same with me. I'd done all the Floral set before the launch and was given the 'dubious' honour of being asked to name an ink - enigmatically labelled 'No 93' - which became 'Salamander' for its sins. Apart from the samples etc there has never been a question of recompense or whatever. I buy my Diamine wherever I can get the best 'deal' - like we all do!

What I will say is that it's great that a few people are allowed to see these inks in advance and maybe more manufacturers could do well to take a leaf out of Diamine's book, and let people do some testing as well. Who knows?

Chrissy
August 22nd, 2015, 06:51 AM

I too have some reviews done and just need the go-ahead. Some of my samples were or a pre-production batch, which I believe, were sent out for opinion. For example, gold or silver particles in a particular colour. Therefore, I won't be posting those, for obvious reasons. Still not sure about launch and availability though.

Some of my samples are pre-production too. Rarities now I suspect ;)

Lady Onogaro
August 22nd, 2015, 12:36 PM
How does the company know who to ask? Do they have someone on media watch or something?

I assume this is a general question, and since I'm the one who provided the general response, I'll answer it. It varies by context or industry. Like I said, I know my own best. Perhaps a large, non-technical industry might employ something as droll as an employee on "media watch". In technical industries I think it tends to be more organic. We get requests for features, requests for technical support, bug reports, and crash dumps, so we have some information coming in automatically that we need only pay attention to in order to observe who is pushing our product to its limits and is likely to have useful insights. A small company producing fountain pen ink is likely just to pay attention to reviews their product gets, not because anybody is exclusively tasked with that responsibility, rather because they are themselves interested and read what people are saying.

I get asked to do textbook reviews of English and literature texts quite regularly, probably because the book reps have recommended me or because my name appears in the "thanks" or lists of credits. I imagine it's the same way with ink reviews. I know Chrissy publishes her reviews on both FPG and FPN, and there are a number of companies that are members of our lists and no doubt see the reviews in much the same way that we do.

KBeezie
August 24th, 2015, 09:05 AM
http://i.imgur.com/BFAKdvP.jpg

Chrissy
August 25th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Breaking news: Reviews can come out on Friday! :bump2:

Even if you're not a fan of brown ink, please just look at the review of Brandy Dazzle. :jaw:

tandaina
August 25th, 2015, 05:26 PM
I am so excited! Love brown ink, brown with shimmer? *faints*

Laura N
August 26th, 2015, 05:57 AM
I am so looking forward to seeing these reviews. Ten of these inks at once is such a happy boon.

I have a feeling my ink budget is going to move into "Red Lustre" territory, though. :)

View from the Loft
August 26th, 2015, 06:14 AM
Ooh, excellent news. I am looking forward to seeing these, and will then decide if any of them really "grab" me.

Hate the name, but I can see past that.

TSherbs
August 26th, 2015, 07:22 AM
could be cool (the brown)

i only like browns if they have something funky going on with them

and I currently only own one

Cookies
August 26th, 2015, 09:50 AM
SO excited to see your reviews, Chrissy! Like others I am absolutely baffled by the name... that's really the best they could come up with? But I guess it has no effect on the writing experience :noidea:

Wasn't there a thread a little while ago with someone suggesting colors for new 1670 inks? I wonder if any of those suggestions have shown up in Diamine's series.

Chrissy
August 26th, 2015, 10:29 AM
I must admit I'm not sure about the name either. Throughout the testing period they were known as shimmer inks, and they all had numbers not names, but my best guess is that they wanted a catchy name.

It seems like we will be given some practice in writing the letter 'z' though. :)

TSherbs
August 26th, 2015, 01:55 PM
It seems like we will be given some practice in writing the letter 'z' though. :)
Huh?

dannzeman
August 26th, 2015, 02:00 PM
Huh?

The purple and brown inks are called Purple Pazzazz and Brandy Dazzle.

Chrissy
August 26th, 2015, 03:47 PM
Huh?

Sorry, just my little joke. I don't write the small letter 'z' particularly well, and I have to cope with Pazzazz and Dazzle

Laura N
August 26th, 2015, 03:58 PM
And some of the other names would be hard to pronounce for someone with a lisp. I like to imagine Peter Cook in his The Princess Bride role taking on "Shimmering Seas." :)

Poor ink makers: I'm sure all the normal, easy ink names are taken.

Chrissy
August 26th, 2015, 04:24 PM
I suppose if you want to get across the colour plus something that also says it has shiny particles in, it must be a challenge.

TSherbs
August 26th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Huh?

Sorry, just my little joke. I don't write the small letter 'z' particularly well, and I have to cope with Pazzazz and Dazzle

Good thing your name isn't Chrizzy.

fountainpenkid
August 26th, 2015, 07:52 PM
This is great news, especially considering these will be produced in larger quantities than their J heroin counterparts.

Chrissy
August 27th, 2015, 06:47 AM
Huh?

Good thing your name isn't Chrizzy.

:bounce: That could have been deliberate.

Laura N
August 27th, 2015, 07:18 AM
Is it Friday yet?! :)

After all, it's an international forum. Surely it's Friday somewhere.

fly_us
August 27th, 2015, 07:28 AM
Another day to wait :D

Chrissy
August 27th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Is it Friday yet?! :)

After all, it's an international forum. Surely it's Friday somewhere.

ROFL If I promise to stay up until after midnight here so I can post the reviews will that be OK?

I realised today that I had spelled Pazzazz with 3 z's instead of 4. :( So I had to change those.

dannzeman
August 27th, 2015, 02:58 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/27/935b9b7d8d8f92fe84cc0ec7eeab25c3.jpg
The Goulets just dropped this on Instagram. Looks like I'll be buying all 10. Great.

Crazyorange
August 27th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Sweet!!!!! Woohoo!!!!
Come on Chrissy....it's got to be Friday!

Laura N
August 27th, 2015, 05:27 PM
After looking at Chrissy's reviews, all I can say is that Diamine is going to be getting a lot of my money very soon.

Thank goodness they didn't do a dark green.

Chrissy
August 27th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Sweet!!!!! Woohoo!!!!
Come on Chrissy....it's got to be Friday!

Yes it is! ;) I've posted them all separately so that this thread didn't get too big. It's 00.50 hours here now zzzzzzzz time.:lazy2:

Crazyorange
August 27th, 2015, 05:49 PM
Ok. I think you're allowed to go to bed ;)

ThirdeYe
August 28th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Oh gosh. Some of those look so nice... I know what I'm gonna be asking for this Christmas!

Cookies
August 28th, 2015, 10:54 PM
Any word on price point? I assume it will be higher than the regular series.

Chrissy
August 29th, 2015, 08:09 AM
I haven't been given any information on the price, but I would take bets that you will be right. They are 50ml glass bottles, so they will be bound to cost more than the 30ml refill bottles at any rate.

Morgaine
October 14th, 2015, 08:43 AM
£10 minus five pence for 50ml. Is it worth it? I might get one bottle but I also would like a couple more bottles of "standard" although which colours I should go for, that is another question...

tandaina
October 14th, 2015, 12:29 PM
That's better than the $20 they are here in the US. Thanks to a forum member I ordered 3 bottles direct from Diamine with international shipping for less than 3 bottles (without shipping) here at home.

Chrissy
October 14th, 2015, 01:42 PM
That's better than the $20 they are here in the US. Thanks to a forum member I ordered 3 bottles direct from Diamine with international shipping for less than 3 bottles (without shipping) here at home.

That is a real surprise, but well done you.

Chrissy
October 14th, 2015, 01:44 PM
£10 minus five pence for 50ml. Is it worth it? I might get one bottle but I also would like a couple more bottles of "standard" although which colours I should go for, that is another question...

I know of more expensive inks, and I think that price includes P&P. i suppose it's fair to say they were always going to cost more than the standard inks.

Chrissy
January 20th, 2016, 10:52 AM
I'm resurrecting this thread to ask if any members have any ideas of other colours they would like to see in the Diamine Shimmer inks range?

If so, please could you post your ideas of colours you would like to see added to the range. The current 10 might not be the only 10. :)

sgtstretch
January 20th, 2016, 10:57 AM
I think I Diamine Bilberry shade of purple with silver flakes would be nice.

Chrissy
January 20th, 2016, 12:32 PM
I think an Amber colour would be nice. Maybe something close to Ancient Copper or Burnt Sienna with gold particles?

tandaina
January 20th, 2016, 12:50 PM
I think an Amber color would be nice. Maybe something close to Ancient Copper or Burnt Sienna with gold particles?

Yes I'd love that. Ancient Copper and Pelikan Amber are two of my favorite inks. The existing gold and brown inks are lovely (bought both) but something between with a more amber color would be wonderful! My other question: is metallic shimmer the only thing they can do right now? Gold and silver shimmer is lovely but a more iridescent shimmer would be wonderful with say a great or blue ink.

Chrissy
January 20th, 2016, 01:25 PM
Actually, I now think that Ancient Copper might be too close to Brandy Dazzle, and an Amber might be too close to Golden Sands.

So I will change my vote to a silver ink with silver particles. :)

What about an orange shimmer ink or a bright grassy green shimmer ink?

tandaina
January 20th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Have you seen these (https://theserialdoodler.wordpress.com/2016/01/21/blaze-wu-handmade-calligraphy-inks/)? I would love some similar options for fountain pens.

The rose colored on in particular is just breathtaking, dragon scales (it's a muddier green than Diamine's current shimmer green). The grey/silver combo is luscious.

Chrissy
January 21st, 2016, 02:42 AM
Have you seen these (https://theserialdoodler.wordpress.com/2016/01/21/blaze-wu-handmade-calligraphy-inks/)? I would love some similar options for fountain pens.

The rose colored on in particular is just breathtaking, dragon scales (it's a muddier green than Diamine's current shimmer green). The grey/silver combo is luscious.

I really like that rose coloured one. Victoria's Velvety Skirt. I'm adding rose pink to my list!

caribbean_skye
January 24th, 2016, 07:12 PM
oooh, I am quite fond of Victoria's Velvet Skirt, Dragon Scales and We Sacrifice O'Lord. Alternatively if they offer similar colours but with other shimmery colours/bits besides silver and gold than they have in their initial offering

KKay
January 28th, 2016, 07:06 PM
I like the fact that consumers have variety in ink choices. If that means glitter, shimmer, or whatever...go for it. If you don't want it, don't buy it. Your money is for what you want. If someone likes something, I say more power to 'em. I look forward to seeing reviews on these inks, and other kinds as well.

Chrissy
February 3rd, 2016, 04:26 AM
I've been given the go ahead to show you some of the inks I tested that didn't make the final 10. It's possible that they could be added one day though.

First is one of my favourites that only one of my friends has seen: Silver.

Chrissy
February 3rd, 2016, 08:23 AM
Or how about an Orange:

Chrissy
February 3rd, 2016, 08:24 AM
Or a bright green?

naimitsu
February 3rd, 2016, 11:36 AM
Chrissy, thanks for sharing those! I definitely love the silver and orange, though the bright green is quite pretty as well. I used to have a silver gel pen as a kid that wrote like the silver shimmer. I loved it and used to write everything with it. It's too bad Diamine didn't go for the Lucky 13 for the release ;)

Chrissy
February 3rd, 2016, 12:09 PM
You're welcome. :)

They also had a different shade of red:

Crazyorange
February 3rd, 2016, 12:12 PM
Or how about an Orange:

Ooohhhh.....[emoji7][emoji7]

tandaina
February 3rd, 2016, 01:52 PM
I've been given the go ahead to show you some of the inks I tested that didn't make the final 10. It's possible that they could be added one day though.

First is one of my favourites that only one of my friends has seen: Silver.

Oh my gosh I want this one! Silver is my favorite, favorite color and that is so pretty!

The Good Captain
February 4th, 2016, 03:06 AM
It's great to see some of the other colours they sent us at the testing time. I've still got one or two others that, as you comment, Diamine might think about releasing in the future.

Chrissy
February 4th, 2016, 03:23 AM
It's great to see some of the other colours they sent us at the testing time. I've still got one or two others that, as you comment, Diamine might think about releasing in the future.

My samples of bright green and orange are very low. In fact they are so low that they sometimes come out really shiny because there are a lot of particles for a small amount of ink. I don't know if Diamine have any more.

I think good new additions would be silver, orange, bright green and a lovely rose pink colour. No-one has so far made a pink sparkly ink....

Morgaine
February 4th, 2016, 10:21 AM
I do like the orange and silver.

KKay
February 4th, 2016, 09:12 PM
Of those that didn't make the cut, I like this one the best. :bump2:

You're welcome. :)

They also had a different shade of red:

Chrissy
February 5th, 2016, 12:53 AM
I was writing an InCoWriMo note last night and I used the silver. In a fine-nibbed pen, under artificial light, it struck me that it looked a bit like I had written with a shiny pencil

Newjelan
February 5th, 2016, 03:38 AM
I love the red, the orange, the green & like the silver. I wish they were also avoidable, even though I have WAY too many inks.

Chrissy
February 5th, 2016, 04:32 AM
Is avoidable a typo? :)

Morgaine
February 7th, 2016, 03:17 PM
I was writing an InCoWriMo note last night and I used the silver. In a fine-nibbed pen, under artificial light, it struck me that it looked a bit like I had written with a shiny pencil

I think it was a LetterMo letter I received written in pencil a couple of years back.

Chrissy
February 11th, 2016, 10:19 AM
I have some additional colours to show you, please let me know what you think of them:

caribbean_skye
February 11th, 2016, 10:52 PM
i like the orange and earlier green plus the purple

Chrissy
February 12th, 2016, 01:33 AM
I have added a poll to the thread, so please could you vote for any colours you would like to see added, or don't be afraid to choose your own. :)