PDA

View Full Version : Sheaffer Skrip Persian Rose equivalant

FredRydr
August 20th, 2015, 02:15 PM
I've been advised that Sheaffer's Skrip "Persian Rose" is a pretty color, but also very rare. Has anyone discovered an equal that's made by a contemporary ink manufacturer?

Fred

Jon Szanto
August 20th, 2015, 03:24 PM
I've been advised that Sheaffer's Skrip "Persian Rose" is a pretty color, but also very rare. Has anyone discovered an equal that's made by a contemporary ink manufacturer?

Of the vintage inks that are hard to come by, Persian Rose is very nice but, honestly, it can probably be duplicated. It is my understanding that there is some variation in the bottles, maybe due to age and whatnot. It took a lot more effort to find an ink that was similar to Penman Sapphire. I don't think I ever did a full review, but here's a sample shot with a flex nib of Persian Rose:

http://i.imgur.com/ksSc4WI.jpg

migo984
August 20th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Looks a lot like BungBox Mother Pink.

Wile E Coyote
August 20th, 2015, 05:12 PM
It took a lot more effort to find an ink that was similar to Penman Sapphire.

Enquiring minds want to know....

FredRydr
August 20th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Thanks, Jon. I think that is a bit too pinkish than what I anticipated.

Fred

Jon Szanto
August 20th, 2015, 06:43 PM

Well, it's just that many more people seemed to actually *have* some PPS and were looking for the future. I know that on FPN there were a number of threads about replacements or look-a-likes, and one especially dedicated thread from someone who put their formula of a couple of inks, mixed, that they felt awfully close. Other contenders were one or two PR inks, and I believe that the Bung Box Sapphire has a number of people that claim it to be "close enough for jazz".

Persian Rose is both a bit more rare, and also a color that fewer people would be interested in to begin with. As in:

Yes, it's awfully pink in some ways. Not an ink I use often at all, just when that color area needs to be touched.

Chrissy
August 21st, 2015, 04:12 AM
It took a lot more effort to find an ink that was similar to Penman Sapphire.

A mixture of Diamine Majestic Blue with Diamine Sapphire Blue (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/262494-faux-penman-sapphire-9/#entry2922717) according to several older threads over on FPN. I tried it and couldn't tell the difference. However, I didn't add as much water as the recipe recommended.

Chrissy
August 21st, 2015, 04:13 AM
I have never seen Sheaffer Persian Rose though. It looks interesting.

migo984
August 21st, 2015, 04:40 AM
Very close to PPS.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/295195-noodlers-inkmyn-sapphire-better-than-parker-penman-sapphire/

Sailor Kenshin
August 21st, 2015, 06:24 PM

Fred

On the other hand, that dusty pink is exactly what I would like!

kernando
August 24th, 2015, 02:41 AM
I wouldn't call Persian Rose dusty. That may be a function of lighting and camera exposure.

Comparing Persian Rose out of a Pelikan nib dipped in it, and Noodler's Shah's Rose out of a Speedball C-whatever# pen, I'd say it's close enough. They aren't an exact match, but it's the Skrip that had more time to drift. The Persian Rose is darker and more purpley leaning compared to the Shah's Rose, which is more red pinky leaning. That's both relative to each other. Neither is purple nor straight up red or pink.

You could probably get the same feelings out of so many magenta inks. Private Reserve has Arabian Rose.

PS: I forgot about Noodler's Ottoman Rose, which I don't have. That's darker than Shah's. Somewhere online there's probably an explanation of which came first and how many (and what quality of) samples they were modeled on.

FredRydr
August 24th, 2015, 10:48 AM
What is "dusty"?

Fred

Sailor Kenshin
August 24th, 2015, 02:46 PM
What is "dusty"?

Fred

Well, you know, uhm, like, dusty.

Wile E Coyote
August 24th, 2015, 03:12 PM
What is "dusty"?

Fred

Muted, like a color you can't hear well.

Jon Szanto
August 24th, 2015, 04:48 PM
dusty (ˈdʌstɪ)
adj, dustier or dustiest

1. covered with or involving dust
2. like dust in appearance or colour
3. (Colours) (of a colour) tinged with grey; pale: dusty pink.
4. a dusty answer an unhelpful or bad-tempered reply
5. not so dusty not too bad; fairly well: often in response to the greeting how are you?
ˈdustily adv ˈdustiness n

dms
August 24th, 2015, 05:31 PM
dusty (ˈdʌstɪ)
adj, dustier or dustiest

1. covered with or involving dust
2. like dust in appearance or colour
3. (Colours) (of a colour) tinged with grey; pale: dusty pink.
4. a dusty answer an unhelpful or bad-tempered reply
5. not so dusty not too bad; fairly well: often in response to the greeting how are you?
ˈdustily adv ˈdustiness n

Aha! "Dusty" means "Like most dictionaries."

Okay. Back to ink.

David

Rick Krantz
August 24th, 2015, 05:32 PM
Fred,

you should have said something, I have some Diamine Amaranth (I think I spelled it right) which I think is kinda close.

I would have brought it to breakfast yesterday. cool color

Rick Krantz
August 24th, 2015, 05:33 PM
http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/detail.aspx?prodcode=052

migo984
August 24th, 2015, 06:34 PM
Persian Rose is one of those inks that changes colour significantly with age. I have seen it as a bright rose pink through to a dusty dark mauve-pink.
An alternative that I like, because of its slight greyish tint, is PR Arabian Rose.
Diamine Amaranth is OK, but it stained one of my converters badly; almost a bad as Syrah.

Chrissy
September 28th, 2015, 09:28 AM
I intend to compare D. Amaranth and S Persian Rose, now I have samples of both :)

Snargle
November 2nd, 2015, 01:35 PM
I was fortunate to come across a half-filled bottle of Sheaffer Skrip "Persian Rose" at a local antique mall. I didn't know anything about it, but it looked pretty in the bottle and the price was right ($7), so I grabbed it. I now see what all the fuss is about. It's a beautiful ink.

Excuse the childish scribbles. This was shot with an iPhone but the color should be pretty close to real-life.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GTtqu74wTVc/VjfInI31dVI/AAAAAAAAHwI/wdnWgiXfHnQ/w631-h812-no/Persian%2BRose%2BInk%2BSample.jpg

Chrissy
November 2nd, 2015, 03:48 PM
I really like that shade, but it looks darker and more purplish than my sample looks. I wouldn't call that a dusty or dusky pink.

It looks quite similar to Diamine Amaranth.

I tested Diamine Amaranth and Sheaffer Persian Rose, and they don't contain the same dyes at all.

In fact I have also tested Kaweco Orchid Rose and PR Arabian Rose, and they don't contain similar dyes either. I'm having difficulty finding a decent alternative.

Sadly, I don't think there is any hope of me finding a bottle of Sheaffer Persian Rose anywhere. :cry:

Jon Szanto
November 2nd, 2015, 03:54 PM
I note that Snargle says the bottle was "half full". I don't discount the possibility that, at some point, significant evaporation occurred, leading to a concentrated ink. I'm betting with a dilution that ink would look closer to what you have, Chrissy.

It is a bit of a shame that this is one of those inks that has been gone for so long, we don't have a lot of baselines for what it was intended to look like when sold. There does seem to be quite a variety of shades in the samples that people turn up, so it may be light-fading, or evaporation, or some mixture of numerous elements. Nonetheless, the basic dye components in this ink are fairly unique.

Chrissy
November 2nd, 2015, 04:21 PM
I note that Snargle says the bottle was "half full". I don't discount the possibility that, at some point, significant evaporation occurred, leading to a concentrated ink. I'm betting with a dilution that ink would look closer to what you have, Chrissy.

It is a bit of a shame that this is one of those inks that has been gone for so long, we don't have a lot of baselines for what it was intended to look like when sold. There does seem to be quite a variety of shades in the samples that people turn up, so it may be light-fading, or evaporation, or some mixture of numerous elements. Nonetheless, the basic dye components in this ink are fairly unique.

It is a shame that we don't know what it was intended to look like when sold. When I did chroma tests it shows just one pinky/purple dye while all of the others I tried had either more than one dye present, or a redder one.

I will try and get some more pink ink samples and keep trying though.

Lady Onogaro
November 3rd, 2015, 08:21 AM
I love that color, whether it is the true shade of Skrip Persian Rose or not. Do you have anything you can compare this to, Snargle?

Chrissy
November 3rd, 2015, 11:06 AM
Today I found my closest dye match yet to Persian Rose. It is PI Yama-budo :)

I will keep on sampling until I run out of options to try.

Snargle
November 3rd, 2015, 01:16 PM
I love that color, whether it is the true shade of Skrip Persian Rose or not. Do you have anything you can compare this to, Snargle?The only ink I have that's close is Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-budo. It's close, but Yama-budo leans toward the purple.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/7quDauJd_V7OsjOFzvedbqVCB0Po1T3d_ZUyFYD55aw=w971-h728-no

Chrissy
November 3rd, 2015, 03:11 PM
I love that color, whether it is the true shade of Skrip Persian Rose or not. Do you have anything you can compare this to, Snargle?The only ink I have that's close is Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-budo. It's close, but Yama-budo leans toward the purple.

On my chromas it looks like a stronger version of a very similar dye. I will try adding water to a sample. However, my Persian Rose isn't as dark as yours