PDA

View Full Version : Bung Box Paper

writingrav
August 21st, 2015, 05:44 PM
While at the DC Pen show, near the very end of my time there, I picked up on a whim a tablet (approx. 8x5) from a lovely woman sitting at the Bung Box table. I took it home without thinking much about it or even removing the cellophane. I took it out today to try: It is fantastic! Probably better than Tomoe River. It feels like linen. The ink goes on smoothly. NO bleeding or show through. Not as light as TR, but not a heavy feeling. Simply put, I love it. The tablet was $8 if I remember correctly. I can't say how many sheets, but no different than most tablets one would buy. Now I can't find it anywhere. Not through google, JetPens doesn't have it. Anyone more creative than me at finding such things?

tandaina
August 21st, 2015, 06:25 PM
Yes, the question is, where to get it. I'm intrigued by this "better than Tomoe River" statement. ;)

VertOlive
August 21st, 2015, 06:28 PM
For what company did the lovely woman at the Bung Box table work? Any markings at all on the tablet itself?

tandaina
August 21st, 2015, 06:43 PM
For what company did the lovely woman at the Bung Box table work? Any markings at all on the tablet itself?

From the reports I saw I thought it was a table by the company Bung Box, but maybe not?

writingrav
August 21st, 2015, 07:38 PM
I believe that it was from Bung Box "itself." Their website is all in Japanese and google translate doesn't help me.

Ian
August 21st, 2015, 08:38 PM
They were from Bung Box. You can see pictures of the woman on their Facebook page at the show. http://bung-box.com They aren't shipping internationally right now, but you could use a forwarding service like Tenso. The converters I bought at the show for $50 are $24 on their website. Here is the link to their paper: http://bung-box.com/products/list46.html I regret not buying the Bung Fox pad.

writingrav
August 21st, 2015, 08:40 PM
Thanks. What is Tenso? And how does it work?

Ian
August 21st, 2015, 09:16 PM
https://www.tenso.com/en/ is a package forwarding service. When you sign up they give you an address in Tokyo. You use this address when you order from sites that don't ship internationally. Once the package arrives at Tenso, you will get an email. Log into your account and edit the customs declaration information and choose a shipping method. You pay for shipping and a service fee based on the weight of the package. I find it's worth it because the stuff I am ordering is so much cheaper in Japan or it's something I can't get anywhere else. I have probably shipped around ten packages with them since I signed up in March. A lot of Japanese websites do not charge for domestic shipping if you buy more than a certain amount. The amount is often pretty low, so I normally only pay Tenso for shipping.

writingrav
August 21st, 2015, 09:17 PM
https://www.tenso.com/en/ is a package forwarding service. When you sign up they give you an address in Tokyo. You use this address when you order from sites that don't ship internationally. Once the package arrives at Tenso, you will get an email. Log into your account and edit the customs declaration information and choose a shipping method. You pay for shipping and a service fee based on the weight of the package. I find it's worth it because the stuff I am ordering is so much cheaper in Japan or it's something I can't get anywhere else. I have probably shipped around ten packages with them since I signed up in March. A lot of Japanese websites do not charge for domestic shipping if you buy more than a certain amount. The amount is often pretty low, so I normally only pay Tenso for shipping.
Thanks so much.

earthdawn
August 21st, 2015, 10:24 PM
Yes it was Bung-Box that was there.

Her name is Kaoru and she is the owner.

Kaoru is on the left and her translator is on the right.

She was very gracious and i think at times a little overwhelmed at the response we all gave them.

And they were not suppose to have ink with them. She had told me a few weeks back she was not going to be able to bring any.... When I got there Friday she was just setting up her table and was kneeing on the floor unzipping a BIG suitcase. I smiled at her as she was opening it and reviewed that it was packed from edge to edge with boxes of ink. I guess she figured if they opened it and said she could not bring it then so be it... BUT she got it here and all was awesome!

migo984
August 22nd, 2015, 12:02 AM
I've used White Rabbit Express forwarding service a number of times. Operates pretty much the same as Tenso. One advantage for me is that they all speak English. Average time from asking for quote, placing order and receiving goods in UK: about 2 - 3 weeks.

klpeabody
August 22nd, 2015, 09:05 AM
Ira, I was able to pick up a pad of the Bung Box paper at the DC Show. One of the reasons that I decided on this purchase was that the paper texture is so interesting and unique. I haven't had the chance to play with mine yet, but I'm delighted to hear a good report from you.

writingrav
August 22nd, 2015, 09:06 AM
It is extraordinary IMHO. Thanks Migo. I joined White Rabbit Express and my order for 2 more tablets was done in under 3 minutes.

migo984
August 22nd, 2015, 09:19 AM
It is extraordinary IMHO. Thanks Migo. I joined White Rabbit Express and my order for 2 more tablets was done in under 3 minutes.

I'm pleased it worked out for you. I've always been very satisfied with their service.

Ian
August 22nd, 2015, 08:20 PM
It looks like White Rabbit Express' fees would be really high for anything that wasn't really cheap: $4 per shop + $1 per item + 12.5% of the item's value + the cost of shipping to WRE + cost of shipping to buyer. Since Tenso is just a package forwarder, they only charge shipping plus a service fee based on weight. Tenso delivery times to the US are 3 - 5 days for EMS and up to two weeks for SAL. I have shipped two large boxes of fabric by sea. That took two months.

WRE does more work since they actually have to order the items. So far the built-in translation of Google Chrome has been enough to help me order from sites that are not in English.

writingrav
August 22nd, 2015, 08:24 PM
Well I'll see how it goes and let you know. Thanks for your help.

migo984
August 22nd, 2015, 08:41 PM
It looks like White Rabbit Express' fees would be really high for anything that wasn't really cheap: $4 per shop + $1 per item + 12.5% of the item's value + the cost of shipping to WRE + cost of shipping to buyer. Since Tenso is just a package forwarder, they only charge shipping plus a service fee based on weight. Tenso delivery times to the US are 3 - 5 days for EMS and up to two weeks for SAL. I have shipped two large boxes of fabric by sea. That took two months.

WRE does more work since they actually have to order the items. So far the built-in translation of Google Chrome has been enough to help me order from sites that are not in English.

I've used both Tenso and WRE, each several times. You're right, best price does depend on the item. Both services have their advantages and disadvantages.
I have only had one problematic transaction and that was due to a Tenso mistake. Because of the language/communication difficulties it was incredibly frustrating and hard to resolve. In fact, I never did manage to get it properly sorted out and lost out on the transaction.
On balance I'd now rather pay a few £s more, almost like a "reassurance premium" for myself, if that makes sense.....

TerraNoir
August 23rd, 2015, 07:23 AM
I only grabbed the tinier "cute" notebooks. Regret not getting something more substantial. I may have to whimper to some friends. I know a few of them all go to Japan once a year. I need more for sure.

Ian
August 28th, 2015, 12:33 PM
My order from Bung Box has arrived. Here is the packaging once the bubble wrap has been removed.

I bought a ink bottle tenugui, three Bung Fox pads, 2 ink bottle and pen pad and a fire works maki-e converter

I ordered Friday evening PST. I got an email from Tenso Sunday night saying that they had received my package. I paid the invoice and Tenso shipped the package the following day. It arrived at my office in California Friday morning.

I paid Bung Box ¥6264 for the products and ¥648 for the shipping to Tenso in Tokyo. ($58.61) Tenso charged ¥1680 for EMS shipping (600 grams) and a ¥550 service fee. ($18.75)

writingrav
August 28th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Congratulations. My order shipped Monday. Perhaps I'll get it Monday.

writingrav
September 17th, 2015, 09:03 AM
My order of two Bung Box tablets arrived yesterday. Less than a month. Not bad.