PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Pen Show, Sep 25-26 2015

gbryal
August 25th, 2015, 05:21 PM
Is anyone going to this show? Any nib adjusters?

Tracy Lee
August 25th, 2015, 05:36 PM
I am going, yes. I haven't looked to see what vendors will be there but surely a nib adjuster will be there?

gbryal
August 25th, 2015, 05:53 PM
I am going, yes. I haven't looked to see what vendors will be there but surely a nib adjuster will be there?

I hope so. I have never been to a pen show so not sure if that's a given or not. I emailed Mike Masuyama but he's doing Colorado this year instead.

Robert
August 25th, 2015, 06:17 PM
I am thinking about it. Too bad Mike Masuyama won't make it this year: he told me he is doing Denver and Houston every other year, and this year it's Denver. Several weeks ago I got three pens back from him and, as in the past, he did excellent work.

The Dallas Pen Show page doesn't (currently) show 2015 vendors - - only those from last year. I'll wait to see which vendors will be in attendance before making a decision on whether to go.

Giovanni Abrate
August 25th, 2015, 06:38 PM
I will be there.

caribbean_skye
August 25th, 2015, 07:28 PM
i will be there. No Mike means more money for ink. The nib I need smoothing has waited a year already, whats another year.

gbryal
August 25th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Looks like Indy-Pen-Dance will be there.

vanness1938
September 8th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Vanness is going! lots of ink just arrived, and a few new pens:)

penwash
September 11th, 2015, 09:11 PM
This would be my first Pen Show.
I'm hoping to try in my hands on the Retro 51 Tornado Lincoln FP.

tandaina
September 11th, 2015, 10:48 PM
The year I went Pendleton Brown was there. If he is set a spell and talk while he tubes a nib for you, great experience.

penwash
September 17th, 2015, 05:17 PM
I just noticed a new item under the schedule: Thursday pre-show gathering.
I didn't expect this for Dallas because it seems to be a smaller venue than DC or LA.

Is this only for exhibitors? Anybody know?

dbarron
September 18th, 2015, 07:58 PM
Yep, I plan to be there.

Vanishsophie
September 22nd, 2015, 06:24 PM
Do you guys think the display will have Montblanc Limited edition ink available?

lsmith42
September 22nd, 2015, 06:53 PM
Always worth a try. Things show up sometimes.

Vanishsophie
September 22nd, 2015, 07:11 PM
I will ask my friend to get there. ;( i do hope I can find those inks I dream about.

penwash
September 24th, 2015, 06:50 AM
I'd be the guy wearing a blue "Life is Good" hat with a fish at the front.
Say 'hi!' if you bump into me :)

sharmon202
September 24th, 2015, 12:46 PM
I'd be the guy wearing a blue "Life is Good" hat with a fish at the front.
Say 'hi!' if you bump into me :)

My name badge will say sharmon202 so same goes with me, say hi.
Sandy

gbryal
September 24th, 2015, 07:34 PM
If I go I will be the one refusing to let go of my steering wheel, shaking from the stress of driving 3 hours on I35.

sharmon202
September 25th, 2015, 04:56 AM
If I go I will be the one refusing to let go of my steering wheel, shaking from the stress of driving 3 hours on I35.

We will be driving on it for 6 hours. The only bad parts are a small area around OK City and getting into Dallas Metro. Should be worth it my friend.

gbryal
September 25th, 2015, 11:51 AM
Didn't manage to go today. Any reports? Might go tomorrow.

Jon Szanto
September 25th, 2015, 12:02 PM
:postpics:

Lady Onogaro
September 25th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Didn't manage to go today. Any reports? Might go tomorrow.

I decided to go this morning when I got out of bed. Left Lafayette about 11:00 after dealing with some stuff from school (sigh!). Got here 45 minutes before the show closed. Having fun--it's my first show!!! I'm looking forward to tomorrow when I can spend some time there. People are so nice.

penwash
September 25th, 2015, 10:57 PM
The Pen Show is awesome!

Catch #1 and #2
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5653/21532529368_d79f6298cf_c.jpg

sharmon202
September 26th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Home from Dallas Pen show. Prelim pics.
Top to bottom: Bung Box Ink of Witch, 4B, Black in old style bottle. Franklin Christoph pocket pen Masuyama Italic, Hand made ballpoint for a gift with private reserve ink ink fills, Visconti Homo Sapien Florentine Hills, Waterman 3 Flex, 78G Italic, Lamy 2000, Regal M pearl body. Leather pen wrap. Got a nib fix from Indy-Pen-Dance-great experience with them, they really want the best for their clients.
Hung out with Tiffany, Denise, Tracy, Lesley, and of course, my Linda. Had a great time. Got to try a lot of pens at tables and in our group. I am sure they will add more to this. Thanks to this group for including me and making me less of an introvert.

earthdawn
September 26th, 2015, 08:55 PM
Home from Dallas Pen show. Prelim pics.
Top to bottom: Bung Box Ink of Witch, 4B, Black in old style bottle. Franklin Christoph pocket pen Masuyama Italic, Hand made ballpoint for a gift with private reserve ink ink fills, Visconti Homo Sapien Florentine Hills, Waterman 3 Flex, 78G Italic, Lamy 2000, Regal M pearl body. Leather pen wrap. Got a nib fix from Indy-Pen-Dance-great experience with them, they really want the best for their clients.
Hung out with Tiffany, Denise, Tracy, Lesley, and of course, my Linda. Had a great time. Got to try a lot of pens at tables and in our group. I am sure they will add more to this. Thanks to this group for including me and making me less of an introvert.

Wow... who had a Florentine Hills left ????

BEAUTIFUL!!!

You scored quite a bit of goods there.

NICE

tandaina
September 26th, 2015, 08:59 PM
Wow you cleaned UP!

penwash
September 27th, 2015, 07:40 AM
Franklin Christoph pocket pen Masuyama Italic

I also got a Franklin-Cristoph P40.
It's quite an experience having your pen assembled right in front of you.

Catch #3
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/591/21728414731_f657d866a3_c.jpg

sharmon202
September 27th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Florentine Hills may be returned, not working as it should. Regal a bit of a hard starter but smooth nib. Lamy 2000 sweet very smooth F nib.
Indy-Pen-Dance helped me with a new nib for this Bexley LE I have not used because the F nib was too wide a line for me. Now it is great.

Lady Onogaro
September 27th, 2015, 09:24 PM

Catch #3

Hey--maybe we were at the table at the same time? Next year you'll have to meet up with us. :)

Lady Onogaro
September 27th, 2015, 09:26 PM
Florentine Hills may be returned, not working as it should. Regal a bit of a hard starter but smooth nib. Lamy 2000 sweet very smooth F nib.
Indy-Pen-Dance helped me with a new nib for this Bexley LE I have not used because the F nib was too wide a line for me. Now it is great.

I'm sorry to hear the Florentine Hills is not working as it should. Boo. Maybe it will settle in after being inked a few days.

Paddrino
September 28th, 2015, 06:23 AM
Sharmon202,

Just curious, but what problems are you having with your Visconti?

penwash
September 28th, 2015, 07:42 AM

Catch #3

Hey--maybe we were at the table at the same time? Next year you'll have to meet up with us. :)

Really? Wait, are you the lady who purchased a dark green eye-dropped F-C with needle point right before my turn?

penwash
September 28th, 2015, 08:42 AM
For my fellow beginners, a collage of snaps I took at the Pen Show

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/589/21759377816_45fb0fd8a0_c.jpg

From top-left clockwise:
- My wife wanted to know how do they display a lot of pens, so I took a picture of one of the displays
- Fascinating Estebrook nibs manned by Brandon, who is a walking encyclopedia for these vintage nibs
- A $2400 Danitrio Maki-E (?) Urushi laquered pen next to my Space Pen. The size comparison is more ridiculous in person than in the picture
- A vintage bottle of Sheaffer Skrip ink. I love the design of the box and the ink. Spotted at the FountainPenClassified.com table
- My daughter holding the Taccia Tanto pen. I didn't ask, but according to my research online, that thing cost a thousand bucks (heh!)

tiffanyhenschel
September 28th, 2015, 09:02 AM
I have to say that Franklin Christoph's marketing strategy for their new inks pays off. If you buy a pen or even just a nib, they adjust it on the spot to be optimal for your hand and then fill your pen (eyedropper style if you want) with your choice of any of their inks. I tried all of their colors a few years ago when they first came out with their own ink and wasn't particularly impressed, so they weren't on my radar inkwise. Now there are three or four of their bottles from their new line in my future.

sharmon202
September 28th, 2015, 10:27 AM
Dromgooles had one

sharmon202
September 28th, 2015, 10:29 AM

I'm sorry to hear the Florentine Hills is not working as it should. Boo. Maybe it will settle in after being inked a few days.

Visconti seems to be working ok, operator error/ignorance. The Visconti expert we chatted with helped me by phone Sunday after she got home.

sharmon202
September 28th, 2015, 10:35 AM

Catch #3

Good thing you guys got some things posted from Dallas show. We were being dissed by some Geeks on the Chatbox when I got home Saturday night. Something about us being afraid of posting because we could not afford things or similar nonsense. Yukking it up.

caribbean_skye
September 28th, 2015, 06:40 PM
I had a blast thanks to Tracy, Tiffany, Sandy, Linda and Denise. Heh Sandy, believe it or not I am an introvert, in small groups I am okay. I spent way too much money and bought way too much ink and those dissing us just had too much time on their hands.

tiffanyhenschel
September 28th, 2015, 07:14 PM
I didn't have a defined idea of what I wanted to get at this year's show -- just a vague list of "maybe" ideas.

First up was picking up the Franklin Christoph pocket 66 in Antique Glass that I ordered a few weeks ago. I picked it up with a 14k Masuyama ground needlepoint that I will switch out with the FC music nib I already had.
I ended up getting two more FC nibs by the end of the show: broad and medium Masuyama italics.
I looked at several notebook options but only bought two: Clairefontaine A4 sized lined notebooks, side staple-bound with floral covers.

I have bought almost no ink for the last year, so what I picked up this time was a bit of a splurge:
Bungbox Sapphire
Noodler's King Philip Requiem
Noodler's Miles Standish Blue
MB Corn Poppy
Anderson Pens Green Bay
Emerald of Chivor -- preordered and delivered by the Andersons
I bought a bottle of Akkerman. I just wanted the bottle, so I shared the ink.
Caribbean_skye and I attended the Pelikan Hub Friday night. They gave away tins of the Edelstein Amethyst long international cartridges, so that was a nice surprise.

Oh yes, I found the perfect small "pill bottles" that I've been looking for. 😀 Visconti cartridge cases -- the size and shape are just right, and they're pretty.

I think that's it for this time. The best part was, of course, the fun with friends old and new. This is my fifth year at this show, and each year is getting to be like a mini reunion. :)

It's too dark for good photos now, but I'll try to get some up tomorrow. The 14k needlepoint is really nice -- definitely springy!

Lady Onogaro
September 28th, 2015, 07:27 PM

Catch #3

Really? Wait, are you the lady who purchased a dark green eye-dropped F-C with needle point right before my turn?

I bought the Model 66 Stabilis prototype (dark green sort of cracked ice pen) with a fine nib.

Lady Onogaro
September 28th, 2015, 07:30 PM
I had a blast thanks to Tracy, Tiffany, Sandy, Linda and Denise. Heh Sandy, believe it or not I am an introvert, in small groups I am okay. I spent way too much money and bought way too much ink and those dissing us just had too much time on their hands.

I will remember fondly making envelopes in your room (what is the name of that envelope maker?), as well as the show and tell of pens (my goodness, you guys have some beautiful pens) and the dinner at Thai Star. Lots of laughs.

tiffanyhenschel
September 28th, 2015, 07:43 PM

I will remember fondly making envelopes in your room, as well as the show and tell and the dinner at Thai Star.
Ooohh! Yes! That was a great suggestion. It's too bad I'm not in that part of town much. I would definitely go back.

Lady Onogaro
September 28th, 2015, 07:44 PM
I will post pictures (always a challenge for me) this weekend. I'm trying to catch up with the grading I put off to go to the show.

I bought

an F-C Model 66 Stabilis prototype
a Sheaffer flat top (interesting white barrel version with a decorated cap--a robin on a branch)
a NOS Lady Sheaffer black and gold tulle
a Lady Sheaffer gold tulle set (
a bottle of KWZ Gummiberry
a skinny purple Regal fountain pen
two Clairefontaine floral notebooks (the ones Tiffany mentioned)
a Clairfontaine spiralbound notebook
2 Faber pencils
a handmade/handbound journal and some iris cards from the local calligraphy society (Kaligrafos Calligraphy Guild)
a Noodler's Konrad in a beautiful purple/blue swirly acrylic, a 1.1 nib for it from Anderson Pens, and one of the canisters of cartridges from Visconti (their blue looks just like Lamy Turquoise)

I am not buying anything else for the rest of the year.

Well, maybe.

tiffanyhenschel
September 28th, 2015, 07:47 PM
I will post pictures (always a challenge for me) this weekend. I'm trying to catch up with the grading I put off to go to the show.

I bought

a Sheaffer flat top (interesting white barrel version with a decorated cap--a robin on a branch)
2 Faber pencils
a handmade/handbound journal and some iris cards from the local calligraphy society (Kaligrafos Calligraphy Guild)
a Noodler's Konrad in a beautiful purple/blue swirly acrylic, a 1.1 nib for it from Anderson Pens, and one of the canisters of cartridges from Visconti (their blue looks just like Lamy Turquoise)

Well, maybe.
Don't forget the Hello Kitty Preppy!

Lady Onogaro
September 28th, 2015, 07:52 PM

I bought

2 Faber pencils

Well, maybe.

You took a great picture of it--you might be able to get it up there before I will, so feel free to post. :)

tiffanyhenschel
September 28th, 2015, 07:59 PM

I bought

2 Faber pencils

Well, maybe.

You took a great picture of it--you might be able to get it up there before I will, so feel free to post. :)
Here you go. If you zoom in, you can see the purple Kitty at the end of the ink cartridge. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/28/1dc22367fccdf68fe13815d841594904.jpg

penwash
September 28th, 2015, 09:19 PM
I bought the Model 66 Stabilis prototype (dark green sort of cracked ice pen) with a fine nib.

I'll be waiting for the photos.

Meanwhile, here's my F-C P40 with EF nib.
Sketching with it is a smooth experience. I hardly had to put any pressure at all, and the ink keeps up with shading and hatching with such ease.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/619/21613505499_f95e389c23_c.jpg

caribbean_skye
September 29th, 2015, 05:10 AM
Ooohh! Yes! That was a great suggestion. It's too bad I'm not in that part of town much. I would definitely go back.

We will just have to return there next year!

Tracy Lee
September 29th, 2015, 06:33 AM
I had a blast at the show - thanks to Sandy (and Linda of course, what a good Sport!), Denise, Tiffany, Lesley and all the great vendors who took my money. I picked up ink (8 bottles and samples from Tiffany and Lesley), pen wraps (made by Lisa Anderson's mom), and journals and bookmarks from the local calligrapher guild (the table I honestly enjoyed the most - so many amazing handmade items).
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/29/63e48de367eaa8036cc797b12fe2e11f.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/29/3c6e4b1de71851268e74d453b945a2af.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/29/e1b3993422acbde166083ba95ee91bcf.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/29/194de7f9decd8ac83eae8fc2ab64fded.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/29/feb995006b2514d848f5bf965cc97603.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/29/fd6958cdf7d64814fc8e4df46d5bc7b6.jpg

Tracy Lee
September 29th, 2015, 06:35 AM

I will remember fondly making envelopes in your room (what is the name of that envelope maker?), as well as the show and tell of pens (my goodness, you guys have some beautiful pens) and the dinner at Thai Star. Lots of laughs.
I have already ordered the envelope gizmo and a paper cutter. LOL!

Tracy Lee
September 29th, 2015, 06:36 AM

Visconti seems to be working ok, operator error/ignorance. The Visconti expert we chatted with helped me by phone Sunday after she got home.
Glad it's working for you, don't hesitate if you need anything. I am thrilled if I can help. It is such a fantastic pen!

tiffanyhenschel
September 29th, 2015, 08:46 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/29/ad7dc2dfaf3e437a5e575fdfe26e47b8.jpg
Here are the "pill bottles" I picked up. They are standing on a Nock Co. 3x5 card for size comparison.

Vanishsophie
September 29th, 2015, 02:27 PM
I got four bottles from PW Akkerman and they were so pretty anyway. The color was amazing as well!

penwash
September 29th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Here are the "pill bottles" I picked up. They are standing on a Nock Co. 3x5 card for size comparison.

I saw these! Ink cartridges inside, isn't it? What pens do those fit in?
BTW, that's a very cool leather pen fold (?) you have in the background.

tiffanyhenschel
September 29th, 2015, 03:39 PM

I saw these! Ink cartridges inside, isn't it? What pens do those fit in?
BTW, that's a very cool leather pen fold (?) you have in the background.
Yes, they hold short international cartridges, which will fit most pens. (Not Platinum, Sailor, or Sheaffer) The pen roll is by Galen Leather, a small shop in Turkey. They had an Etsy shop but just recently created their own website.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/29/60973cf86ce1a67ce22defe6e0bd3728.jpg

Crazyorange
September 29th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Well ladies....I'm glad you're supporting the economy. [emoji6]

caribbean_skye
September 29th, 2015, 07:14 PM

We R Memory Keepers... I am finally finishing off the left overs. The Thai was an inspired decision, cannot wait to go back.