PDA

View Full Version : Omas Frankenpen

Scrawler
August 26th, 2015, 06:12 PM
This is a Sheaffer No Nonsense pen body with an Omas nib. It is an eyedropper filler and holds a huge amount of ink.

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx153/FPWriter/nononsense_zps8mitzgiw.jpg

The nib is absolutely superb and proves that the nib makes the pen, because the body is rather crappy and cheap.

KBeezie
August 27th, 2015, 08:42 AM
Well that's something else... :P

Scrawler
August 27th, 2015, 09:51 AM

Yes it is, and I am surprised no one has asked why.

Neo
August 27th, 2015, 01:30 PM

Why?

Scrawler
August 27th, 2015, 02:00 PM

Why?
LOL. I used to be known for my Frankenpen experiments (I used to show what can be done mixing and matching parts on the other forum) and I was approached by a friend who had a really nice older Omas nib and he asked me to find a pen, any pen, to put it in so that he could write with it. The No Nonsense was one of the few that the curvature of the nib exactly matched the feed. I did not need to grind the feed or anything, it was a direct slip in. I collected broken and unwanted pen parts to experiment with, and I had the manky old NN body, with a broken clip in my parts box. I told him that I could make an eyedropper out of it and he was game to try. This is the result. I will eventually look for a nice Omas body to put it in, because the nib is just so nice. To be perfectly honest the Sheaffer NN is among the pen body styles I like least, but it is getting this rare, expensive and lovely nib used.

migo984
August 27th, 2015, 02:23 PM
The nib is absolutely superb and proves that the nib makes the pen, because the body is rather crappy and cheap.

Agree x 10 zillion. Many of my vintage pens are rather ordinary, tired-looking, beaten-up and, frankly, pretty tatty. But they come attached to wonderful nibs.

My current favourite body/nib mash-up at the moment isn't as esoteric or exotic as yours. It's a Visconti Van Gogh Midi with a Franklin Christoph gold Masuyama stub.

Chrissy
September 16th, 2015, 02:29 PM
As a newcomer to Omas nibs, I can now concur that they are lovely, smooth nibs to write with. I'm so pleased I came in from the outside. :)

One of mine looks like your nib, whereas the other is monotone gold

pengeezer
September 21st, 2015, 10:52 AM
And here I thought that Shaeffer was alive and well in Italy.......:)

John

Scrawler
September 23rd, 2015, 08:07 AM
I wonder what would happen if I put that pen with broken clip on ebay. I doubt if many people would recognize an older, little used, Paragon nib. Most would scoff at the starting price and the delusional seller, I think.