PDA

View Full Version : Vacumatic cleaning

RonLyke
August 29th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Is it a terrible idea to install the section (on a Vacumatic) without thread sealant, so the pen can be easily disassembled for cleaning? Esterbrooks are so easy to clean with the nib removed--why not have the section removable on a Vac?

D Armstrong
August 29th, 2015, 07:33 AM
They often will seep at the join, even if you really tighten them down. Sorry.

RonLyke
August 29th, 2015, 09:37 AM
I figured there's a reason. Although----I wonder if one could put silicone on the threads like we do with eyedroppers. Again, I 'm sure there's a reason.

Thanks for the reply, David.

Ron

gregamckinney
August 29th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Pens do not need to be cleaned as often as people seem to want to clean them lately/ these days (curmudgeon alert, I guess.)
Generally, there is no reason to remove the section of your Vac unless it is being restored. Sometimes not even then.
IMO, reseal it the proper way, and enjoy your wonderful pen for years to come.

Best Regards, greg

RonLyke
August 29th, 2015, 02:29 PM
OK---Thanks to both of you.

mhosea
August 29th, 2015, 03:20 PM
I figured there's a reason. Although----I wonder if one could put silicone on the threads like we do with eyedroppers. Again, I 'm sure there's a reason.

It will work, seepage wise, if shrinkage hasn't made the parts fit loosely. One of the issues, however, is that old celluloid can be brittle, variably so. It's best to heat up the barrel a bit when reassembling. I don't really think you want to make this joint one that is frequently taken apart, at least with vintage plastics.

However, I don't find cleaning vacs all that time consuming if one only makes the effort to empty the pen completely after a bit of flushing. The no-tools way of doing this is to empty the pen normally of the water you are flushing with, wrap the nib in a tissue, and shake it like a thermometer to empty the pen and feed of residual inky water. Then return to flushing and repeat. It takes forever to flush them if in the whole process you don't empty the inky water out completely until the end. If you really want to make it fast, find Ron Zorn's instructions for converting a salad spinner into something for emptying pens. Then use the spinner instead of the thermometer shake.

RonLyke
August 30th, 2015, 01:54 PM
Got it. Thanks.

ac12
September 2nd, 2015, 12:25 PM
The pen "spin dryer" works GREAT.
I wish I made mine years ago.

Jon Szanto
September 2nd, 2015, 12:27 PM
The pen "spin dryer" works GREAT.
I wish I made mine years ago.

It's on my short list of projects this fall. Easy to do, and I just haven't gotten around to it.

pajaro
September 4th, 2015, 05:34 PM
Pens do not need to be cleaned as often as people seem to want to clean them lately/ these days (curmudgeon alert, I guess.)
Generally, there is no reason to remove the section of your Vac unless it is being restored. Sometimes not even then.
IMO, reseal it the proper way, and enjoy your wonderful pen for years to come.

Best Regards, greg

I think the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious cleaning results from inexperienced people wanting to do something with their pens. Materials will take so many uses before failure, and then the new people get to buy more pens, or they get to roll up their sleeves and do a restoration. That probably makes them and sellers both happy.