PDA

View Full Version : Let this be a lesson to you

KrazyIvan
October 16th, 2012, 08:39 AM
So I received a pen that I knew was possibly a parts only pen. What intrigued me about it was the nib so I did not mind getting it. As I suspected, the nib collar was cracked. I decided I wanted to use the nib in my Chelpark Antic eyedropper pen. It has a ebonite feed. I got everything out and while I was playing with the nib/feed position I slipped. At that point I am not quite sure what happened but I snapped the feed in two. :( Oh well. It is not an expensive pen at least.

I already contacted Fountain Pen Revolution to see if they have spare feeds for sale. I am not sure but some threads on FPN seem to suggest that ebonite can be glued together with a good epoxy. I am not quite sure if it is worth the trouble.

fountainpenkid
October 16th, 2012, 04:10 PM
snapped a feet? quite weird, but I do recall hearing of this before. ebonite and epoxy? maybe, but what about the flow?

Saintpaulia
October 16th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Ah the travails of a penmeister. Each one must go thru
something like that when one begins to tinker. But, as
you said, you sort of covered yourself by getting an in-
expensive "patient". That was smart thinking.

FP_GaF
October 17th, 2012, 02:04 AM
I am not sure but some threads on FPN seem to suggest that ebonite can be glued together with a good epoxy. I am not quite sure if it is worth the trouble.

I had a similar accident with a little Sheaffer Tuckaway. It is not an ebonite feed, though, but I managed to glue the feed back together and the pen works as if it always had been that way. Be extra carefully not to get glue into the ink channel.

At the end of the day it will always be an experiment and the outcome is as much due to luck as due to skill. Unless your name is "Binder" by any chance...

KrazyIvan
October 17th, 2012, 09:18 AM
The break is a clean one so I suspect a tiny amount of epoxy would work. FPR has a blemished pen that he is willing to sell me. I am taking him up on his offer. I might as well look at a few more pens to make it worth his time and effort that is much appreciated.

inky
October 17th, 2012, 10:25 AM
I would think a tiny bit of something like JB Weld would work. The trick would be getting such a small dab on there that it dosn't run all over anything. Then there is the cost of all the unused epoxy. That's awesome that you're able to get a blemished pen from FPR! I orderd a Guider 51T to see what one was like. Haven't recived it yet but it's well on its way. It was hard for me to choose just one pen to order from there so good luck!

Saintpaulia
October 17th, 2012, 02:58 PM
The break is a clean one so I suspect a tiny amount of epoxy would work. FPR has a blemished pen that he is willing to sell me. I am taking him up on his offer. I might as well look at a few more pens to make it worth his time and effort that is much appreciated.
I can just hear Stephen saying "super glue!!!". Is "epoxy" the same as "super glue"?

KrazyIvan
October 17th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Epoxy is usually a two part "glue" that needs to be mixed before use. One part resin the other part a hardener. Super glue is a single part "glue" made of cyanoacrylate.

fountainpenkid
October 17th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Epoxy is usually a two part "glue" that needs to be mixed before use. One part resin the other part a hardener. Super glue is a single part "glue" made of cyanoacrylate.

+1 :)

wayne.robinson
October 17th, 2012, 08:53 PM
I did the same thing, but I snapped the feed on my Porsche Tecflex. Sadly, Graf von Faber only sell the entire nib units and they're about $300. Oh well, whilst I like how the pen looks, I never much enjoyed writing with it.

woosang
April 17th, 2013, 08:07 AM
I snapped the feed in a $100 Mabie Todd. Bummed out but the nib was horrible anyway. Into the parts bin :)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

KrazyIvan
April 17th, 2013, 08:44 AM
At least it will not be missed.

jor412
April 18th, 2013, 12:41 AM
I did this with a cheap ebonite feed as well and I'd be interested in whether or not epoxy will work. I'm particularly curious about how you'll fit the feed into the section after it has been glued; i.e., will the glue hold under pressure?

KrazyIvan
April 18th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Being that it was a cheap pen, I bought a replacement and did not bother trying to repair the old feed. I still have it and may try it but I do not see it happening anytime soon.

AltecGreen
April 18th, 2013, 01:05 PM
I did this with a cheap ebonite feed as well and I'd be interested in whether or not epoxy will work. I'm particularly curious about how you'll fit the feed into the section after it has been glued; i.e., will the glue hold under pressure?

Ebonite, aka hard rubber, cannot generally be glued or epoxied with any lasting result. The best results so far have been with Loctite 480. Under pressure, I am not aware of any long term success. Even in materials like celluloid that can be solvent welded, the repaired joint rarely can hold pressure.