PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Ink No. 11

Laura N
August 31st, 2015, 11:36 AM
Here comes Mystery Ink No. 11. MI-11 will be the Dragnet edition: "All we want are the facts, ma'am."

Mystery Ink is a chance for volunteers to try an unknown ink, MI-11, and post their impressions here.

The idea is to have fun by trying an ink without any preconceptions, or even a clue as to what it might be. The identity of the ink will be kept secret until every recipient has received it and had a chance to try it. So I ask everyone, volunteers and readers alike, to refrain from writing guesses about the ink’s identity in the thread. Feel free to PM or email me with any guesses, however, if you are a guesser.

Whoever you are, wherever you live, you can throw your Joe Friday fedora into the ring for MI-11. People who've done MI before are welcome again, as are people who are new to the exercise. Everyone is welcome in Mystery Ink.

So, if you’d like to volunteer, please post here and let everyone know why you’d like to get MI-11. If I get more volunteers than there are slots, I will randomly select recipients. If you've entered twice recently but not been randomly selected, please let me know by PM.

Sailor Kenshin
August 31st, 2015, 12:20 PM
Me...because this is the coolest thing going, and because I love the word 'fedora.'

ThirdeYe
August 31st, 2015, 01:07 PM
I am in! Always looking for new inks to try. And because I'm awesome. Mostly the latter.

Jon Szanto
August 31st, 2015, 01:28 PM
I'm always happy to watch from the wings, unless - on the ridiculously odd chance - there aren't enough volunteers. BTW, keep an eye out for my SF Pen Show Report, with coverage of the ink testing stations: 500 pens, loaded with 500 different inks, all available to try during the entire show. It was killer.

And now, for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrpiby-piB4

Cob
August 31st, 2015, 01:30 PM
Hullo Laura,

Would you consider me for another go? It's been a while

And like Marlowe, I'm tired and full of no coffee!

Cob

Chrissy
August 31st, 2015, 02:01 PM
As I'm in the US at the moment, if you don't have enough volunteers, then I would love to test out any inks.

After opening all of my mailed packages when I got to my hotel room, I now have a temporary ink drawer.:D

Jon Szanto
August 31st, 2015, 02:11 PM
After opening all of my mailed packages when I got to my hotel room, I now have a temporary ink drawer.:D

Yay! (I can say "Yay", right?)

henkm
August 31st, 2015, 04:32 PM
After holding of for previous MIs, I'll throw my hat in the ring for this one (though I never wear a hat)

ETA
I live in Malaysia

RobC
August 31st, 2015, 04:38 PM
I've not done a review before but I'd like to give it a try - hats and ink are right up my street.
Cheers
Rob

Empty_of_Clouds
August 31st, 2015, 04:46 PM
I would like to have another go, but if there is a great number of entrants then I can sit on the sidelines again.

On the subject of hats: my partner and I were in a hobby/crafts type of shop yesterday (Monday for us) and I noticed an aisle with fancy dress costumes. I was wearing a fire engine red technical tramping* jacket and I happened to notice a similarly coloured fedora on the shelf. Grabbed it, donned it, did probably the worst impression you can conceive of Jim Carrey in The Mask. Followed this with an equally woeful impression of the late Michael Jackson doing what was supposed to be a moonwalk, hat tipped forward, but which probably looked more like I had incurred an undies*-based incident and was seeking the nearest bathroom!

And I felt that I had gotten > < that close to a round of applause for the shop staff, but that could have been my imagination and battered ego trying to be supportive.

**Translations

Tramping = a New Zealand term for hiking
Undies = New Zealand common slang for nether garments.

Laura N
August 31st, 2015, 04:48 PM
Awesome to see some volunteers both new and old.

Since I forgot to mention it, if I do not already know, or it's not stated in your profile, can all volunteers please state where they are located (just country or state if it's the US). That lets me put everyone in the right pool if I randomly choose entrants. And it helps me figure out mailing times.

Thank you!

Laura N
August 31st, 2015, 04:54 PM
Cryptos, I'm going to exercise my plenipotentiary power to keep you in the pool for this one, since you graciously have stepped aside for the last two MIs.

"Tramping" is a new word for me. Thank you! I don't think I shall use it, though, because it could be misunderstood here. :)

Hawk
August 31st, 2015, 07:28 PM
Nether garments would have stumped me unless you translated it to undies.

caribbean_skye
August 31st, 2015, 08:22 PM
i woul love to join in. i fly out on wed but will be back the following tue, so if that doesnt cramp anything I would love to put my pens at your inky disposal. if the timing is an issue i will sit this one out.

mhguda
August 31st, 2015, 08:23 PM
I'd like to join again, if I may?

FredRydr
August 31st, 2015, 08:35 PM
I'm going to exercise my plenipotentiary power....
Uh oh. This sounds dangerous. Is it AC or DC?

Fred

TerraNoir
August 31st, 2015, 09:00 PM
I would love to throw my snazzy fedora into the ring and join in on the fun. I think it would be a blast. Do I get double the entries since everyone has seen my fedora?

Jon Szanto
September 1st, 2015, 12:18 AM
I'm going to exercise my plenipotentiary power....
Uh oh. This sounds dangerous. Is it AC or DC?

I'm more interested if it is PC or NSFW. ;)

Wile E Coyote
September 1st, 2015, 05:29 AM
I'll play...

Crazyorange
September 1st, 2015, 06:33 AM
I would love to throw my snazzy fedora into the ring and join in on the fun. I think it would be a blast. Do I get double the entries since everyone has seen my fedora?

You go girl. Just about the only lady who can pull it off!!

Laura N
September 1st, 2015, 06:35 AM
Great to see so many new faces who want to do MI. That's wonderful.

Just one thing, which I forgot to put in the original post. If you are new to MI, I do need a general location -- just your country or US state is enough -- so I can put you in the right category for the random drawing. And figure out mailing.

So, if you are new to MI, and your location is not in your profile, can you post it here, or edit your original post to insert that information? Or just PM it to me. Thank you! :)

I'm going to let this run for a while longer, so more interested people can see it, before I do the random drawing.

BCDDiggler
September 1st, 2015, 07:25 AM
Hola Laura,

If you need an international entrant I'll throw my name in again - but I would prefer to defer to new supplicants given my previous participation.

Canada

TerraNoir
September 1st, 2015, 10:32 AM

You go girl. Just about the only lady who can pull it off!!

Well just in case. I'm in the Chicagoland area.

Chrissy
September 1st, 2015, 10:52 AM

Yes Jon, You can say Yay. Thank you so much for my little inky surprise in with my rubber stamps. :bounce:

alc3261
September 1st, 2015, 05:03 PM
Not this time around, very busy and away some of Sept.

Jon Szanto
September 1st, 2015, 05:19 PM

Yes Jon, You can say Yay. Thank you so much for my little inky surprise in with my rubber stamps. :bounce:

Yay!!!

Cob
September 2nd, 2015, 03:53 AM
Dear Laura,

I should like this time to "de-volunteer" Foolishly, when carried away with the idea of MI11, I forgot that I am going away on holiday on 19th September for a fortnight or so.

MI12 perhaps?

Regards

Cob

RobC
September 2nd, 2015, 05:53 AM
Great to see so many new faces who want to do MI. That's wonderful.

Just one thing, which I forgot to put in the original post. If you are new to MI, I do need a general location -- just your country or US state is enough -- so I can put you in the right category for the random drawing. And figure out mailing.

So, if you are new to MI, and your location is not in your profile, can you post it here, or edit your original post to insert that information? Or just PM it to me. Thank you! :)

I'm going to let this run for a while longer, so more interested people can see it, before I do the random drawing.

Done, now in my profile - UK

Laura N
September 2nd, 2015, 07:24 AM
Dear Laura,

I should like this time to "de-volunteer" Foolishly, when carried away with the idea of MI11, I forgot that I am going away on holiday on 19th September for a fortnight or so.

MI12 perhaps?

Regards

Cob

Oh, darn for MI-11 but enjoy your holiday. Definitely MI-12!

Laura N
September 2nd, 2015, 09:31 PM
BTW, lovely MI people, I have not abandoned MI-11, but I did come down with the flu. Or it might be the Black Death. As soon as I rally, I will turn my attention to the fun that is MI. But for now, no one wants me mailing them anything.

Empty_of_Clouds
September 2nd, 2015, 10:22 PM
Laura, you know the drill. Stay warm, lots of fluids (don't know if this works for the Black Death, but if I had that I'd be willing to try anything!).

Sailor Kenshin
September 3rd, 2015, 07:29 AM
BTW, lovely MI people, I have not abandoned MI-11, but I did come down with the flu. Or it might be the Black Death. As soon as I rally, I will turn my attention to the fun that is MI. But for now, no one wants me mailing them anything.

Take care of yourself!

caribbean_skye
September 3rd, 2015, 09:08 AM

Awww I hope you feel better soon

Sammyo
September 3rd, 2015, 10:20 AM

Look after yourself and get well soon.

I will sit this one out due to some major "life stuff" going on right now... Also a nudge, nudge, wink, wink moment makes me think I should sit this out for other reasons too ;)

Have fun all you MI'ers... Every time I read MI people I think Michigan people... silly me :p

naimitsu
September 3rd, 2015, 11:06 AM
Laura, hopefully the plague stops plaguing you soon! It's a horrible month to get sick! At least it typically is for me as it is my birthday month! ;)

Now back to business... I'd like to toss my top hat in the ring :D

Chrissy
September 3rd, 2015, 02:56 PM
I'm sorry to hear you are suffering and hope you get well soon Laura. :hug:

JIGM
September 3rd, 2015, 04:32 PM
Mmmmh! Nice initiative... Living in Spain, where the weather is nice, we enjoy siesta and party everyday, good meals and the beach, is an obstacle to participate? [emoji4]

Laura N
September 3rd, 2015, 04:49 PM
Mmmmh! Nice initiative... Living in Spain, where the weather is nice, we enjoy siesta and party everyday, good meals and the beach, is an obstacle to participate? [emoji4]

Everyone is welcome to volunteer, and that sounds wonderful. I'll count this as your entry. Welcome to FPG, too.

I'm going to randomly select from all the entrants soon. Hopefully tomorrow. So keep watching here. :)

Laura N
September 4th, 2015, 01:25 PM
My faithful assistant, the list randomizer at Random dot org, has selected the following MI-11 participants:

Sailor Kenshin
ThirdYe
Wile E Coyote
henkm
RobC
Cryptos

If I do not already have your address from prior rounds, please PM me with your name and mailing address. I believe that would be: RobC, henkm and Wile E Coyote.

Thank you to everyone for entering! If you weren't selected for this one, please be sure to enter MI-12, and remind me that you got hosed tried for MI-11 but weren't selected.

Sammyo
September 4th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Have fun all, I can't wait to see your reviews :)

RobC
September 4th, 2015, 04:17 PM
My faithful assistant, the list randomizer at Random dot org, has selected the following MI-11 participants:

Sailor Kenshin
ThirdYe
Wile E Coyote
henkm
RobC
Cryptos

If I do not already have your address from prior rounds, please PM me with your name and mailing address. I believe that would be: RobC, henkm and Wile E Coyote.

Thank you to everyone for entering! If you weren't selected for this one, please be sure to enter MI-12, and remind me that you got hosed tried for MI-11 but weren't selected.

Great, I'm looking forward to it. PM sent with details.
Rob

henkm
September 4th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Good to see that you're apparently well again and that i'm in this round. PM with address sent.

Laura N
September 4th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Good to see that you're apparently well again and that i'm in this round. PM with address sent.

Thank you, henkm. Can you check your PMs, please, because I sent you a reply with some questions. :)

I appreciate it!

Empty_of_Clouds
September 4th, 2015, 10:40 PM
:cheer2: WOOT WOOT! :cheer2:

Just got back to home city and saw this. Heading off again tomorrow (Sunday) back on Tuesday, major assignment to start and finish by Friday (I know, I know), participants lined up for research study throughout the week... there will be time for ink testing, oh yes! :)

<offers up a prayer of thanks to Random.org>

Sailor Kenshin
September 5th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Thanks! Will do my best!

FredRydr
September 5th, 2015, 04:23 PM
I think I know what it is! Is it too early to guess?

Fred

Empty_of_Clouds
September 5th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Well, I am supposed to be driving my partner south - a 3.5 hour drive - but as of right now (Sunday morning 7am) we are snowed in. :smow: and :tea: The way it's shaping up it looks as though we will both miss a couple of days work. :rant:

Laura N
September 5th, 2015, 04:57 PM
I think I know what it is! Is it too early to guess?

Fred

Great initiative! Just remember all guesses by PM or email. :)

Laura N
September 5th, 2015, 04:59 PM
Well, I am supposed to be driving my partner south - a 3.5 hour drive - but as of right now (Sunday morning 7am) we are snowed in. :smow: and :tea: The way it's shaping up it looks as though we will both miss a couple of days work. :rant:

Ah, well, it's in the 80s and humid here, so I'd almost change places with you. But no! Because we've got a three-day weekend for Labor Day. :)

Empty_of_Clouds
September 6th, 2015, 02:28 AM
Sounds like you are feeling a whole lot better, Laura. The snow abated and a blue gap appeared. We took it as a sign and raced the storm clouds south, Beat them too! Now I have to hope the coach will be running on Monday morning to whisk me back home. Fingers crossed because it is perishing cold here right now.

RobC
September 14th, 2015, 10:14 AM
The ink arrived today. Now I've just got to decide what to do with it!

Laura N
September 14th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Don't drink it. :)

Empty_of_Clouds
September 14th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Mystery Ink #11 has landed!

Now <looks at pens and whatnot> what shall I put it in today? Hmmm...

Sailor Kenshin
September 14th, 2015, 06:47 PM
Don't drink it. :)

It's tempting.

ThirdeYe
September 14th, 2015, 08:05 PM
Got my sample today! I inked up one of my Hero pens with it, and I'll ink two other pens with it tomorrow. I'll be using a F nib, a M nib and a Sheaffer F Italic nib (probably the equivalent of 1.1mm). That should give it a fairly diverse variety of representations. :)

Empty_of_Clouds
September 15th, 2015, 01:58 AM
A preliminary look at Mystery Ink No.11

More to come at the weekend, I hope!

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/688/21441227861_ba1c01ea68_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/yEFU3r)DSCN1032 (https://flic.kr/p/yEFU3r) by Davy J (https://www.flickr.com/photos/117174433@N07/), on Flickr

EDIT: It really didn't want to be photographed... resulting in a broken mini tripod grrrr...

RobC
September 15th, 2015, 08:39 AM

Immediate impressions, comparative swabs (I do not have many greens - love the MB and R&K but the Waterman is a bit pants), pens used.
(Tomoe River)

Green Groweth the Holly by King Henry V111
(TWSBI Mini 1.1, Tomoe River)

An Emerald is as Green as Grass by Christina Georgina Rossetti
(Platinum ’18’ EF, Tomoe River)

I won't be addressing my letter to Santa with this (left under a slow running tap for 1 minute).
(Rhodia)

Final thoughts
(Parker 75 Oblique Broad Italic, Rhodia)

Laura N
September 15th, 2015, 08:42 AM
You guys both have beautiful handwriting!

Rob, I love the stamp.

Sailor Kenshin
September 16th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Yeah...sometimes I can't help myself...

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/625/21278978288_f4b39f4ef7_c.jpg

Here is the lovely chroma, showing all sorts of gold, turquoise and green coronas:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5789/21278967508_c459c46d66_c.jpg

By comparison, Skrip Green displays far more blue (and since the Skrip bottle has no color label, I always have to squint to make sure I'm not accidentally using Turquoise)

MI-11. Seems to be a well-behaved, shading ink so far. A bright, fresh, springtime color.

It reminds me of something. Possibly more to come!

sgtstretch
September 16th, 2015, 08:34 AM
MI11 looks pretty nice, it looks similar to some that I've used, but I don't think it matches. Looking forward to the reveal!

henkm
September 17th, 2015, 06:27 AM
My mystery ink arrived today, will clean out a pen for it tomorrow.

FredRydr
September 19th, 2015, 07:30 AM
After she spent the day mowing the lawn and wondering where to dump all those grass clippings, Laura prepares the MI11 shipments.

https://dianescookbooks.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/minced.jpg

That Tall Fescue has such a pretty tint!

Fred

henkm
September 19th, 2015, 08:47 AM
I inked up my metropolitan, because that's my 'green' pen. When I saw Laura's note, I thought I recognised the colour. Directly after filling, with my pen still wet, it looked bit different but after writing a bit the match is perfect. So I won't reveal what colour I compared it with.

It feels like a nice, wet ink; some shading, pleasant to write with. Even though this semester my log book is gray, I allowed a guest appearance.(Rhodia paper)
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/19/683bf2768beec1b01618f16fb793c338.jpg

I generally use green (and red) when editing students' work, so I'll test it on printer paper on Monday.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/19/0cc5ecd60d49504bfc2708b7f9566639.jpg

This last written on haizhijie paper.

ThirdeYe
September 20th, 2015, 03:36 PM
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/ThirdeYe1337/20150920_173130_resized_zpsd77o33nv.jpg~original

Sailor Kenshin
September 29th, 2015, 05:41 PM
I really enjoy using this bright, cheerful green...but it was a bit persistent in the converter, requiring several bouts of sittin' n' flushin'.

Laura N
September 29th, 2015, 05:44 PM
I've found it easy to clean out of one pen, but I'm giving it the torture test in another pen right now -- it's been three weeks or so.

We are still waiting for one of our participants to try it. Someone had an unexpected trip for work.

Neo
September 29th, 2015, 05:50 PM
:boink:

So...can we have a hint?

Wile E Coyote
September 30th, 2015, 08:19 AM
Ok, I'll stop holding up the train.

First off...it's green, dark green when wet but lightens a bit upon drying. On Rhodia paper with a TWSBI 1.1 Stub there isn't much in the way of shading but there is a dark "halo" around the lines. Drying time is average, with no bleeding and no show through. On less than optimal office paper, the ink appears lighter with significant bleed and show through. Overall a good ink in the behavior department and about a 7/10 for cleaning from a TWSBI ROC.

As far as a guess...it's similar to a MB season's ink I have but it doesn't have any scent and I don't think it's a Noodler's since it doesn't come off as over saturated. IOW I have no idea what it is.

Now you can have your hint.

Laura N
September 30th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Super news everyone. Unfortunately, I happen to be swamped today, but I'm going to get back to MI-11 tonight or at the latest tomorrow morning, for the big reveal. Ugh work. :)

ETA: in the meantime, feel free to PM me with any guesses. I just got another good one!

Laura N
October 1st, 2015, 11:38 AM
Mystery Ink No. 11 turns out to be:

A very nice ink, I think! From a brand few people seem to talk about, at least not that I've seen. But I have delved into Kaweco inks as a result of this one, and I seem to like most of the ones I've tried.

As for Palm Green specifically, what a surprise. I don't usually like standard greens. I've tried a lot, bought a few and sold all of them after a while. I kept finding ones that I thought were okay, but none of them put a smile on my face. But Palm Green I affirmatively like. It's so cheery and has great shading, and there's something about it that charms me and makes me enjoy using it.

Of all the companies in all the world, Kaweco, not a mighty brand, sells the one standard green ink I like. Funny. But cool. Anyway, it was fun to try something different.

I am looking forward to posting about the guesses I got -- because I got a lot, and they are interesting. As well as a few other things. Oh, and my review of the ink. But I'll have to come back to all of that later.

But hey everyone else could post in the meantime. :) If only so I don't have the ignomious distinction of making three posts in a row. :)

Bueller?

Sailor Kenshin
October 1st, 2015, 12:00 PM
Kaweco? No way!

My 'guess' was J Herbin Lierre Sauvage, because I had it in a Preppy and when I did a side-by-side, it looked sooooo close.

Laura, you are always introducing me to astounding, surprising inks that I never would have considered buying. The Mystery Ink program is the best.

Crazyorange
October 1st, 2015, 12:12 PM
Bueller here!!!
I give you credit....you pick the most unusual inks.

migo984
October 1st, 2015, 12:14 PM
I think that is one of the most obvious mystery inks, as it's a quite distinctive shade. It's very well known in the EU.
I use it a lot, although it can stain.
It's what I think of as 'Washing-Up Liquid Green'. Seitz-Kreuznach are one of the better known sellers.

Chrissy
October 1st, 2015, 12:45 PM
It's a very nice looking ink.

Laura, I am looking forward to hearing about all of the guesses you received, and reading your own review. :)

henkm
October 2nd, 2015, 09:47 PM
I hadn't sent my guess, but when I first saw it I was convinced it was diamine ultra green. The colour is very close but i think MI11 has a bit more shading. I'll keep on enjoying it and may buy a bottle of kaweco when the jar of diamine runs out (the rate i'm going, early next century).

Chrissy
October 3rd, 2015, 12:29 AM
I must admit that when I first saw this green it made me think of Diamine Ultra Green. Especially as I reviewed it not long ago.

I won't be around in the next century, but maybe some of my inks will. [emoji4]

FredRydr
October 3rd, 2015, 06:07 AM
Could Kaweco ink be made by Herbin, or Diamine or whatsthenameofthatinkmanufacturerinAustria?

Fred

migo984
October 3rd, 2015, 07:01 AM
Could Kaweco ink be made by Herbin, or Diamine or whatsthenameofthatinkmanufacturerinAustria?

Fred

Kaweco inks used to be made by Aratrum in Germany. Not sure if they still are.

Laura N
October 3rd, 2015, 11:34 AM

Fred

I have a theory about this, actually. Sadly, with the way my schedule is going, it may be the next century before I can actually get it out. :)

Laura N
October 3rd, 2015, 12:04 PM
I thought the guesses were fabulous, as always, but this time they really made me think about the ink, and what it is that sets Kaweco Palm Green apart for me.

I had two guesses of J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage, two guesses of Private Reserve Spearmint and one guess of Diamine Tropical Green (which was Mystery Ink Number 1). Most of those are on these swabs, but there's a catch, which I'll explain in a second.

I also received guesses of Diamine Apple Glory and Montblanc Irish Green. I think Apple Glory is a good guess because it shares the brightness of Palm Green, and Irish Green a good guess because it shares Palm Green's propensity to shade. I don't have Apple Glory, but I know Irish Green very well, and that's a darker color green ink.

I would add that I saw vintage Sheaffer Skrip Green in a letter, and that seemed to have some similarities to Palm Green as well.

Alas I don't know Diamine Ultra Green at all, but I trust Henk and Chrissy that it's similar, too.

The closest green ink that I personally saw was Lierre Sauvage, but only in a wet nib. The ink swabs above show a Lierre Sauvage swatch that was made by dipping the swab several times in the ink, until it was super wet. That's because Lierre Sauvage is a less saturated and a light ink, normally.

The photo below shows the difference between a lot of Lierre Sauvage, on the left, and a normal amount, on the right. I did this after I received a letter written with Lierre Sauvage in a Montblanc, which has a wetter nib, and thought to myself (i) that looks like Palm Green and (ii) that's not what Lierre Sauvage usually looks like for me.

Lierre Sauvage is possibly a bit more yellow than Palm Green.

And not to bore anyone to death, but that points to the conclusion I eventually reached about Palm Green. It is a brighter medium green than many other nice medium green inks. And I think Palm Green nicely hits the middle of the green spectrum, because a lot of the other inks were either more yellow or more blue. I think those are the qualities that some of us described as "cheery," in the end. And I think that may explain why I like Palm Green so much. Plus the shading: I love shading. I like Diamine Tropical Green (MI-1) as my blue-leaning middle green, and I like Palm Green as a standard green-green.

That said, of all the greens guessed above, I think there isn't a bad one in the bunch. It comes down to personal choice and I am sure everyone else has a different opinion. Which I would love to hear.

I have more detailed ink comparisons on my blog here (http://fountainpenfollies.com/2015/10/03/kaweco-palm-green-ink-comparisons/), with higher resolution photos, if anyone is interested, plus more blabbing.

I also posted a more formal review of Palm Green here (http://fountainpenfollies.com/2015/10/03/ink-review-kaweco-palm-green/), also with higher resolution photos.

P.S. -- Crazyorange, this worked well before: Bueller? Bueller?

Crazyorange
October 3rd, 2015, 06:08 PM
Bueller here.....though I would rather be in a vintage Porsche driving around.

Great review Laura :)

Laura N
October 4th, 2015, 09:14 AM

Fred

I have this WAG theory. I think there may be a connection with Caran d'Ache.

I put it up on the blog, here (http://fountainpenfollies.com/2015/10/04/are-kaweco-inks-related-to-caran-dache-inks/), because it's really long-winded and there are a lot of photos. The crux of it is, I see a lot of similarities between the blue, blue back, red and green inks from those two brands. None of them is identical. It may be a coincidence, of course.

I know nothing about the industry. I don't know if these companies have their own ink designer, or contract it out. I think it's safe to assume that they don't all manufacture in their own separate, wholly-owned plants. So it may also be safe to assume they don't have in-house ink designers, like Diamine might. Having third parties do the development and design is how much of the fragrance and flavor industry works, except for the really big companies who do it in-house.

RobC
October 4th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Kaweco! My guess was Montblanc Irish Green and so convinced was I that I was fully intending to buy a bottle. But, fate intervened and a stand at the London Pen Show was selling Kaweco inks and so a bottle of Palm Green is now in my collection.
Thanks for organising this Laura, it's been fun. Cheers, Rob