PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Hobonochi store opens in an hour

Ronnie Aloha
August 31st, 2015, 07:07 PM
Store opens at 7pm Pacific.

WenV
September 1st, 2015, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the notice... I wonder why the Original Japanese planner is listed cheaper than the English version? Also, the Original comes with bonus gifts!

Ronnie Aloha
September 1st, 2015, 05:54 PM
Yep, I bought the Japanese edition last year. I'm trying the English this year. The bonus gifts aren't that great. The English version was only $5.00 more so I'll try it out.

WenV
September 2nd, 2015, 06:02 AM
I think I will go with the English version to start me off as this will be a new style of planner for me. I am keen to try the highly lauded Tomoe River paper used in the diary. Is the cover durable enough on its own if transported in a backpack daily? Or do you recommend a cover for it? Many thanks!

Empty_of_Clouds
September 2nd, 2015, 04:30 PM
This year was the first for me and Hobonichi Te Cho. The paper is great. I recommend getting a cover. Got a simple sky blue with apple interior plus cover-on-cover. Has served well. I do not trust the journal's paper cover to hold up well under moderate backpack abuse. YMMV.

Incidentally, this year's covers are, in my opinion, an unexciting bunch. I was tempted by the retro Hello Kitty, but for Japan sale only. Although as I already have a cover I see no need to encourage a new collecting fever! The chocolate/red looks good, that's all I'm saying.

Ah, yes, the Japanese version is cheaper, but unless you have a hankering for reading Japanese quotes I do not see that there is enough differences to bother with it.

Lady Onogaro
September 2nd, 2015, 06:31 PM
I think I will go with the English version to start me off as this will be a new style of planner for me. I am keen to try the highly lauded Tomoe River paper used in the diary. Is the cover durable enough on its own if transported in a backpack daily? Or do you recommend a cover for it? Many thanks!

The cover is just a paper cover, so it's not all that thick at all. I bought a cover for mine. I got the blue one with the green interior and love it. The cover comes with a clear plastic cover to go over the cover to keep it clean. It's pretty nice, too.

Lady Onogaro
September 2nd, 2015, 06:33 PM
This year was the first for me and Hobonichi Te Cho. The paper is great. I recommend getting a cover. Got a simple sky blue with apple interior plus cover-on-cover. Has served well. I do not trust the journals paper cover to hold up well under moderate backpack abuse. YMMV.

Incidentally, this years covers are, in my opinion, an unexciting bunch. I was tempted by the retro Hello Kitty, but for Japan sale only. Although as I already have a cover I see no need to encourage a new collecting fever! The chcoclate/red looks good, that's all I'm saying.

Ah, yes, the Japanese version is cheaper, but unless you have a hankering for reading Japanese quotes I do not see that there is enough differences to bother with it.

I have the cover Cryptos mentions. My cover has held up well, and I don't see getting a new one anytime soon. The only one I was ever tempted by was last year's one with the cat face on it, but it was gone by the time I ordered.

WenV
September 3rd, 2015, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the replies @Lady Onogaro and @Cryptos... I will check out the covers as well and may even see if I can make my own Midori style leather cover for the Techo. I prefer the leather however the leather covers on the Hobonichi website is somewhat more than what I'd like to spend.

mtnbiker62
September 3rd, 2015, 07:06 AM
I have the TS Black cover, and it has been well worth what it cost. It is in my bag every day, and it shows next to no signs of wear or damage. It is boring black, however, which I understand is a problem for some of you "creative" types! :)

Avalona
September 3rd, 2015, 01:48 PM
I'll definitely be ordering a Techo for 2016 (not sure yet if it'll be the English version or I'll give the Japanese version a go), perhaps in a few weeks, as my study planner (the pages have enough room that I can properly list out everything I need to study). The cover I have now from last year's is just fine (scarlet red with a cream interior), though I may get another cover-on-cover.

Lady Onogaro
September 3rd, 2015, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the replies @Lady Onogaro and @Cryptos... I will check out the covers as well and may even see if I can make my own Midori style leather cover for the Techo. I prefer the leather however the leather covers on the Hobonichi website is somewhat more than what I'd like to spend.

There are some rather good covers for sale from various Etsy shop owners. (Just like you can get fauxdoris (faux Midoris) you can get faux Hobonichi covers).

WenV
September 3rd, 2015, 08:38 PM
[/QUOTE] There are some rather good covers for sale from various Etsy shop owners. (Just like you can get fauxdoris (faux Midoris) you can get faux Hobonichi covers).[/QUOTE]

Yes, I've been checking out those stores. Eye candy...

Empty_of_Clouds
September 3rd, 2015, 08:54 PM
I'll definitely be ordering a Techo for 2016 (not sure yet if it'll be the English version or I'll give the Japanese version a go), perhaps in a few weeks, as my study planner (the pages have enough room that I can properly list out everything I need to study). The cover I have now from last year's is just fine (scarlet red with a cream interior), though I may get another cover-on-cover.

I have wondered whether the cover-on-cover was really worth it. I don't frequent problematic environments these days, and I suspect the straight cover would hold up well by itself. My cover-on-cover remains unmarked.

WenV
September 3rd, 2015, 09:11 PM
Just had another look at the Hobonichi website and there is a reasonably priced cow leather cover in black. That is likely a good option for me even though I wished it had more color options.

earthdawn
September 10th, 2015, 11:13 PM
OK...

Help here....

I want to do the Hobonichi this year and after being on the site for 1/2 an hour I am completely confused on what to get.

Anyone know of a good review that compares the versions ????

Empty_of_Clouds
September 10th, 2015, 11:36 PM
There's really only three decisions you need to make:

1. Japanese or English version
2. Size - A6 or A5
3. Do I need/want a cover.

The answers to these will be a combination of personal taste and what you want to use the product for.

earthdawn
September 11th, 2015, 12:01 AM
There's really only three decisions you need to make:

1. Japanese or English version
2. Size - A6 or A5
3. Do I need/want a cover.

The answers to these will be a combination of personal taste and what you want to use the product for.

A6, English & no ....

Ok.. I think I just read way to much and needed to step away for a few.

I read Susans review on the 2015 here http://www.penaddict.com/blog/2015/7/31/hobonichi-planner-review

That helped a lot as well...

OK.. so now should I order online or try and pick one up in NYC lol.

Thanks Crytos !!!!

Empty_of_Clouds
September 11th, 2015, 12:10 AM
No problem!:)

Unless you already have a suitable enclosure you may want to reconsider getting a cover. The cheaper ones - mine is the sky blue/apple green - is only about $14. Quite reasonable for a very sturdy cover.

Mine is A6 and English too. I use it to keep track of work/school projects and tasks, the occasional sketch/doodle and various random ramblings. Did wonder if the format was too small, but in the end it has turned out to be just right for me.

stonerman33
September 12th, 2015, 12:47 AM
I got my A5 Cousin Avec this week. 4 days from acceptance in Japan to delivery in WI. Some of my domestic shipments aren't that fast.

bluesea
September 28th, 2015, 07:17 AM
I like that it includes the moon phase.

stevesurf
October 3rd, 2015, 10:02 AM
After over a full year of Hobo Techo and Cousin, I actually would suggest both if you can or the new Weeks, and Techo to start.

Two items/accessories that are very cool are the Hobo memo books - same Tomoe River, same size:

http://www.1101.com/store/techo/2015/planner/detail_images/tt_o_memo/slide_1.jpg

...and the Travelers-Notebook-like "Weeks"

http://www.1101.com/live_image/org/1346855200118690.jpg

http://userdisk.webry.biglobe.ne.jp/018/159/79/N000/000/002/128914082674016130684_p_main.jpg

migo984
October 3rd, 2015, 11:26 AM
I had the Techo for 3 years but I use the Cousin now. I also buy a few of the memo books to tuck into the back of the cover, along with a bunch of other Hobonichi accessories. This is mine for 2016.

Avalona
October 10th, 2015, 09:13 AM
I got the Japanese A6 and a new cover. I wasn't going to get a new cover, but the turquoise and apple green one combines two of my favourite colours, and I felt like I had to have it. This year, I used the English version, but I decided I like the layout of the Japanese version better (especially with that little checklist section that the English one doesn't have). Got them about a week and a half after I made the order (it was during Japanese holidays).

Silverbreeze
October 13th, 2015, 09:19 PM
Man they deliver fast