PDA

View Full Version : Questions about & trouble finding a Lamy 2000 Pencil

Wrathen
September 1st, 2015, 02:02 PM
So I have been attempting to find a second hand Lamy 2000 pencil, but having trouble at it. Is it that not many were sold? or those that were sold people keep and use? or are there issues with them that I should know about? Does anyone have one and can they comment about if its a good mechanical pencil or should I look somewhere else. I really enjoy my L2k EF fountain pen, so I cant imagine that the pencil is terrible. My other option is something like a rOtring 600 or 800 which I like too.

I have posted here, reddit and many other places all with no luck. I have been refreshing fleaBay alot too in hopes one will pop up, but no luck yet. Does anyone know where else I could search for a second hand L2k Pencil? I mean I would prefer to same a little and buy second hand but if I have to I'll just get a new one for $50-55'ish off fleaBay.

Thanks in advance.

Laura N
September 1st, 2015, 04:39 PM
It's a beautiful pencil. I've never used one myself, but I love the looks. I have a lowly Safari pencil, myself, which works very well and feels very solid. So I'm sure the 2000 would be fantastic.

Perhaps there aren't as many people who buy expensive mechanical pencils? Which means there aren't as many on the used market? Now that I think about it, I've never seen an ad for a used Safari pencil either.

Wrathen
September 1st, 2015, 08:59 PM
I have only seen one ad in the BST forum for a L2k pencil that I can remember for a good 6 months or more sold for I think $25 and I debated then but was low on hobby funds at the time and it wasn't as "needed" add other stuff. Kicking myself now!

In eBay completed auctions there are only a very few used ones $22-$30, so I just think the few people willing to buy one keep it and never get rid if it.... But maybe I'm wrong

inklord
September 2nd, 2015, 02:04 AM
Get a new one - they're absolutely worth it. And the Makrolon finish will age in its lovely way.
There are .5mm and .7mm models available. The Lamy 2000 is one of the fastest feeding mechanical pencils out there - one push and you're definitely good. This also means: if you automatically push the lead out each time you use the pencil, and use it only for a few strokes, you'll end up breaking the lead - too much sticking out; just something to be aware of. And once you have and love it, you can go crazy and also get the stainless steel version...
Some more info on the subject:
http://davesmechanicalpencils.blogspot.com/2006/10/lamy-2000-mechanical-pencil-review.html
P.S. Lots of these were made and sold - but one would be crazy get rid of an L2k pencil unless a person would simply not get along with mechanical pencils as such.

amk
September 2nd, 2015, 04:26 AM
I have a Lamy 2k pencil which I picked up secondhand on ebay, quite cheaply (though not a sumgai by any means). Fit and finish are just as good as the FP, and it's nice to use, though inklord is right - you have to go carefully with the leads. I kept snapping them before I worked it out.

I *wish* inklord hadn't mentioned the stainless version... as it's one of the few L2K types I haven't got, and now I shall feel impelled to go out and search for one.

By the way, you may be luckier if you run across to ebay.de and search for "Lamy 2000 bleistift". (Some sellers automatically take the option to sell to Germany only, but I've found a message to them often elicits the response that sure, if you're really interested, they can send a package to another country.)

Wrathen
September 3rd, 2015, 07:49 AM
I have a Lamy 2k pencil which I picked up secondhand on ebay, quite cheaply (though not a sumgai by any means). Fit and finish are just as good as the FP, and it's nice to use, though inklord is right - you have to go carefully with the leads. I kept snapping them before I worked it out.

I *wish* inklord hadn't mentioned the stainless version... as it's one of the few L2K types I haven't got, and now I shall feel impelled to go out and search for one.

By the way, you may be luckier if you run across to ebay.de and search for "Lamy 2000 bleistift". (Some sellers automatically take the option to sell to Germany only, but I've found a message to them often elicits the response that sure, if you're really interested, they can send a package to another country.)

Thanks I'll give this a try now.

Wrathen
September 4th, 2015, 07:59 AM

Well thanks a TON amk. I did what you said and checked out the ebay.de and went through the auctions there. I found a Lamy 2k pencil the auction just ended a few mins ago with me as the high bidder. Its not in the greatest of shape, having some wear but I ended up buying it for $6.81 with $7.15 shipping after the Euro to USD conversion. SOOOOOO all said and done I should end up with a $14 Lamy 2k pencil.

amk
September 4th, 2015, 08:50 AM
Excellent news Wrathen! Yes, I saw that pencil myself and thought... I wonder if... I'm so glad you've got it! and at such a good price! I shall have a nice warm feeling all day!

Wrathen
September 4th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Excellent news Wrathen! Yes, I saw that pencil myself and thought... I wonder if... I'm so glad you've got it! and at such a good price! I shall have a nice warm feeling all day!

Ya I got it all thanks to you. I did some poking around at other Lamy stuff and some rOtring as well while I was on the German eBay site.