PDA

View Full Version : Question about Platinum Standard pen

The_Mick
September 3rd, 2015, 01:41 PM
Hello, new here and looking into getting a first pen. I was liking the Platinum standard (at least the look of it) but haven't seen anything about it here so far. It has a 14c gold nib listed as a hard nib. If anyone has in insight into these I would appreciate it.

Dragonmaster Lou
September 4th, 2015, 12:55 PM
The Platinum Standard with the gold nib is also sold as the Platinum PTL-5000. I've heard good things about it, especially since it was among the best deals you can get on a gold-nibbed pen. Unfortunately, I no longer think it's sold in the USA. Still, maybe you can dig up some info on the PTL-5000?

The_Mick
September 4th, 2015, 09:08 PM
Sad to say after reading this I went back and checked the site I was looking at and yes they are in Japan. I didn't realize that while looking. I was really eyeing the pilot Prera as I saw a post about them having them for $23. Not sure I want to wait on shipping from there.

fly_us
September 5th, 2015, 12:19 AM
Shipping from Japan is quite fast in my experience. Usually it takes about a week only.

stub
September 5th, 2015, 12:50 AM
I have the Platinum 14k Standard and really dig it. The nib is not completely hard and has quite a bit of give. I have been mean to mine and it has held up perfectly. A really nice little pen, and (imo) an overlooked one. Yes it feels a little cheap and plastic-y. Yes some have converter rattles (Platinum converters frequently rattle in my experience) but the nib is a joy. Of course the tiny nib is why they can sell a 14 nib so cheaply but the pen is a gas to write with. I kind of dig it's late 70s SASSOON-esque design, it's charming in it's own way, a little thin, but I think vastly superior to other comparable Japanese pens, such as the Sailor Young Profit (not a bad pen at all, I had one of these too).

The Prera is a more solid and robust feeling pen and I am certainly not going to bad mouth any of the Pilot entry level offerings, but I enjoy the nib on my Platinum 14k Standard much more.

The_Mick
September 5th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Shipping from Japan is quite fast in my experience. Usually it takes about a week only.

Have you dealt with Engieka? That is where I've been looking.

The_Mick
September 5th, 2015, 11:35 AM
I have the Platinum 14k Standard and really dig it. The nib is not completely hard and has quite a bit of give. I have been mean to mine and it has held up perfectly. A really nice little pen, and (imo) an overlooked one. Yes it feels a little cheap and plastic-y. Yes some have converter rattles (Platinum converters frequently rattle in my experience) but the nib is a joy. Of course the tiny nib is why they can sell a 14 nib so cheaply but the pen is a gas to write with. I kind of dig it's late 70s SASSOON-esque design, it's charming in it's own way, a little thin, but I think vastly superior to other comparable Japanese pens, such as the Sailor Young Profit (not a bad pen at all, I had one of these too).

The Prera is a more solid and robust feeling pen and I am certainly not going to bad mouth any of the Pilot entry level offerings, but I enjoy the nib on my Platinum 14k Standard much more.

Thank you for that, it's exactly what I was looking for and will help in my decision.

inklord
September 5th, 2015, 04:00 PM

Have you dealt with Engieka? That is where I've been looking.

Engeika is considered a quality Japanese retailer.

Lady Onogaro
September 5th, 2015, 05:38 PM
I have bought two pens from Engeika. Everything went well, though in each instance, it took a while as he had to order the pen from the company.