PDA

View Full Version : Bad converter? Or typical lifespan?

JackdeSpadas
September 3rd, 2015, 09:38 PM
Hey all,

First post outside the "New Members" area, so aplogies in advance if I'm in the wrong spot. In Dec 2014, I purchased 2 Platinum Plaisirs and the International converters that fit them from a very reputable vendor. This Summer, one of the converters started to stick, and the knob got harder and harder to turn until...well, now the knob turns fine, but the piston no move. :angry: Now, a couple days ago, my wife says hers is doing the same thing. Could we have done something wrong? Did we get defective converters? Or is this typical, and it's just time to suck it up and buy new converters?

Any and all info, clarifying questions, and the like appreciated.
Jack

rpsyed
September 3rd, 2015, 10:40 PM
Do you have silicone grease? The seal on that converter may be too far deteriorated to be fixed, but it's worth a try. In the future, if you notice a converter (or piston) is sticking or has a lot of resistance, apply a bit of silicone grease around the inside wall of the converter - it only takes a really small amount. After applying greasing the seal, it should be good for another year or two. There's a couple videos on YouTube that show how do it. Make sure it's 100% silicone grease that your applying. Goulet, Anderson, and others will carry it.

mhosea
September 3rd, 2015, 10:57 PM
If the knob turns fine but the piston doesn't move, they've probably broken some "teeth", so you'll need new converters. Then follow rpsyed's advice and apply silicone grease. I personally don't wait until they need it.

As for whether you did anything wrong, that's hard to say. If you cleaned them with rubbing alcohol, I'd say yes, you did something wrong. If you just used them normally and flushed them with water, then they probably just got stiff. Converters don't last forever, but next time grease them, and they'll last a long time.

Sailor Kenshin
September 4th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Hey all,

First post outside the "New Members" area, so aplogies in advance if I'm in the wrong spot. In Dec 2014, I purchased 2 Platinum Plaisirs and the International converters that fit them from a very reputable vendor. This Summer, one of the converters started to stick, and the knob got harder and harder to turn until...well, now the knob turns fine, but the piston no move. :angry: Now, a couple days ago, my wife says hers is doing the same thing. Could we have done something wrong? Did we get defective converters? Or is this typical, and it's just time to suck it up and buy new converters?

Any and all info, clarifying questions, and the like appreciated.
Jack

Plaisirs (I own seven, lol) don't use international converters, but proprietary ones. Could this be your problem?

Pics would help!

inklord
September 5th, 2015, 04:37 AM
That's what I thought - the converters fitting Platinum (including Plaisirs), at least as normally sold in the US) are the very high quality Platinum converters, easily recognized by the domed metal piece between converter barrel and twisting knob. Those shouldn't break in a decade at least - after all, that's what you feed your Nakaya with!

Laura N
September 5th, 2015, 11:39 AM
That's what I thought - the converters fitting Platinum (including Plaisirs), at least as normally sold in the US) are the very high quality Platinum converters, easily recognized by the domed metal piece between converter barrel and twisting knob. Those shouldn't break in a decade at least - after all, that's what you feed your Nakaya with!

I guess I had worse luck with that converter. Mine rattled (inside the pen) like an old VW Beetle :)

inklord
September 5th, 2015, 12:27 PM

I guess I had worse luck with that converter. Mine rattled (inside the pen) like an old VW Beetle :)
Not good! I guess they would up QC a bit for the maki-e decorated converters...

mhosea
September 5th, 2015, 01:25 PM

Don't have a lot of experience with Platinum converters, just the one with a 3776 Chartres Blue. The only rattling converter I've had was the Pilot Con-50 because of the insert. I have had some converters rattle against adjacent pen parts in Bexley pens. I use silicone or latex sac trimmings around the handle to stop it (if the handle still fits where it belongs in the pen with them on, which it doesn't always).

Scrawler
September 6th, 2015, 06:40 AM
When you get any new converter smear a little silicon grease on the piston and threaded rod.

JackdeSpadas
September 13th, 2015, 10:04 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies. Given all the things you all have mentioned, I think some user error is the prime culprit.:smash:

So...it started sticking, and I kinda muscled it a little much, and like mhosea (Mike) mentioned, the teeth stripped. Only later did I learn that the cone shaped piece is threaded to the clear barrel of the converter....So I could have prevented the whole thing with a little thought and patience. I hang my head in shame.

On the bright side, a converter is fairly inexpensive and I learned something. Nice to hear that they are (in good hands, anyway) fairly durable.

Thanks, everyone!
Jack