PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Monte Rosa piston

bananhunden
September 6th, 2015, 11:58 AM
Hi everybody

I recently acquired a Monte Rosa fountain pen that is in pretty good shape.

I've managed to disassemble almost the entire pen for cleaning.

It was actually pretty easy :-)

The one thing I'm having trouble with is the piston.

How in the world do I get the piston out of the barrel?

Here's a pic I found on the 'net of the pen:
http://www.hepworthdixon.com/shopimages/products/extras/IMG_0390.JPG

Sevenof9
September 6th, 2015, 01:10 PM
it the pens sucks water I would leave it be....it looks like a new pen it would be a shame to crack the end. 7 :)

bananhunden
September 6th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Oh, the pick is a stock I found on the web

I just didn't see the need to put my crappy pictures up when others have done a better job at it ;-)

The thing is it does suck water, very well actually, but it also spits it out the back.

Would greasing the piston up with silicone be enough to keep the ink from flowing out the back?

Armstrong
September 6th, 2015, 06:35 PM
I am no expert, but I do like piston fillers. I would be hesitant to rely on that for a solution. If at some point the grease got thin enough it might leak past. I would want to identify the exact problem then seek a solution to that problem. Suspect you will have a better long term result that way. If it is leaking out the 'back' of the pen then it is getting past the piston. Sounds like a bad seal possibly or the piston my have a crack.

tandaina
September 6th, 2015, 07:01 PM
If you've got the nib out just grease the inside of the barrel (very lightly). Unless the piston is non functional there is *no* reason to be pulling it just to pull it. (I do *not* disassemble and clean old piston fillers if they still fill properly. I flush them a few times and then use them. Some piston fillers were not made to be taken apart and you can destroy a perfectly good pen by being more aggressive with "maintenance" than it needs.) A piston filler really just needs flushing with water and the occasional grease.

bananhunden
September 6th, 2015, 11:39 PM
If you've got the nib out just grease the inside of the barrel (very lightly). Unless the piston is non functional there is *no* reason to be pulling it just to pull it. (I do *not* disassemble and clean old piston fillers if they still fill properly. I flush them a few times and then use them. Some piston fillers were not made to be taken apart and you can destroy a perfectly good pen by being more aggressive with "maintenance" than it needs.) A piston filler really just needs flushing with water and the occasional grease.

I think I'll just try that to begin with.

If I get ink all over me, then, I'll try plan B and try to replace the seal ;-)

tandaina
September 7th, 2015, 11:24 AM

I think I'll just try that to begin with.

If I get ink all over me, then, I'll try plan B and try to replace the seal ;-)

Always good to test with water first. Fill with plain old water. Does it run straight back out the nib? You've got a piston that needs work. If it doesn't leak the water back out it won't leak out the ink either. Most of hte monte rosa were new enough to have plastic or rubber seals instead of cork and those last a loooooong time. I've yet to find a Montblanc with a rubber seal that needed any work.