PDA

View Full Version : Like Midori system but want to use Field Notes size books?

staflea
September 7th, 2015, 09:12 AM
I did a search and there seems no mention of Paper Republic (sorry if there is and I missed it). I have a Midori Travellers and Passport and love them both, but wanted a cover for my Field Notes size books - that are just too big for the Passport. And came across this Austrian Company called Paper Republic. The leather cover is a little bit thinner and there is no metal bit to get caught up, but it basically works the same way. The notebooks however are not entirely FP friendly - being Field Notes quality in that sense. But if you have other books that are then this is great - and you can easily bung two notebooks in and can use the Midori system to up it to three.

Well worth a look. I've had mine for a couple of months and it comes everywhere with me. Doesn't replace the Midori but compliments it for me, but if you'd not already got the Midori could replace it. Takes Clarefontaine small notebooks perfectly.

Cookies
September 7th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Haven't heard of them before. I have a couple Field Notes sized fauxdori covers. Buteo Bunker made my absolute favorite. Great craftsmanship, gorgeous supple leather. https://www.etsy.com/shop/ButeoBunker?section_id=15869623&ref=shopsection_leftnav_1
I use my Leather Planners Plus version as my wallet with one of those zip pocket inserts. The leather on that one is very stiff and rigid and works perfectly for that use. https://www.etsy.com/shop/LeatherPlannersPlus

I have to admit I like them both (really all of my fauxdoris) more than real Midoris. The knot in the back of those really throws me off.

dr.grace
September 7th, 2015, 06:23 PM
I bought one in soft leather from Molsmum on Etsy a while back. Beautiful work, and it can hold Clairefontaine staplebound notebooks of a similar size.

earthdawn
September 7th, 2015, 10:09 PM
I know EXACTLY how you feel and it is what drove me to learn how to make my own ... easier than you think.

I gave a bunch away on Fountain Pen Day a couple of years ago.

Here's my everyday carry. I don't care that I made it cause it is awesome.... I even made a folder for it.

dannzeman
September 8th, 2015, 04:44 AM
Steve Curnow of Curnow Bookbinding and Leatherwork makes these, too. Top notch stuff!

RudyR
September 8th, 2015, 12:32 PM
I liked my Midori And my Cherrywood Edition Field Notes so much that I used a small binder clip to attach my Field notes to the back flap of my Midori. It doesn't exactly fit the Midori perfectly but I don't care, the objective of mating the two was accomplished. It also makes it easy to detach if I want to go extra light and use my Field notes instead (like when I go to the gym and record my progress).

Renaissance Arts produce some of the finest Journal covers around and do have a number that are made for Field Note / Moleskine sizes. They are hand made in New Mexico (which is a state in the US, not Mexico as some suppose).

JackdeSpadas
September 13th, 2015, 09:15 PM
Hi All,

Cool to see/hear about everyone's uniquely personal traveler's journal. I made mine to fit Piccadilly cahiers, which I find are pretty good as long as the nib/ink combo isn't super-crazy wet. Here's mine:

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21285&d=1442199228

I started with a piece of chestnut brown that I had lying around from a different project from many years ago. I over-dyed that with a Royal Blue (also left over from something), then some careful measuring, cutting, and hole punching, and there you go. Very fun and rewarding project! I do need heavier cord, though.

Here's the interior, and an assortment of marking implements:

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21280&d=1442198245

My other change to the Midori standard was to move the hole for the closure elastic to the edge of the back flap so that the knot is not under the spine or back flap. Just personal preference; my wife wanted hers to match the official Midori measurements and layout, so hers is a closer copy.

Interesting (hopefully) historical note: William Clark--of Lewis and Clark fame--had a traveler's journal with a tri-fold cover. Everything old is new again. :)

Jack

Bold2013
September 20th, 2015, 06:44 PM
I ordered a Popov leather wrap around field note cover and will have a cobbler put a couple holes and add elastic.

SL89
September 21st, 2015, 08:20 PM
Field Notes are ostensibly 'passport' size right? Maybe it would fit well inside one of these (http://www.freeleatherjournal.com/) guys.

Bold2013
September 21st, 2015, 08:42 PM
Midori passport size I believe is 5.25 tall with inserts just under 5. Field notes I believe are 5.5 inches high and would stick out thats why I got the field note cover which is 6inches.

KrazyIvan
September 22nd, 2015, 09:02 PM
Passport and field notes are not the same. I have several different brands of covers. Look on etsy for covers too.

SL89
September 23rd, 2015, 07:42 PM
So i checked out that Free Journal and tried Field Notes and no bones. the FN notebook is too big all around. But having looked online I may be getting some of the Scout Books brand notebooks.