PDA

View Full Version : I dropped my pen... well only the cap

wangminze
September 10th, 2015, 01:27 AM
But this first accident was enough to make me sob inside. I dropped it from the sink counter and it hit my tile floor. The resin pretty much chipped a little. Thankfully no cracks.

I need to be more careful with my pens.
Is there a way to buy the cap part? I searched it up and was unsuccessful so I kinda doubt it but I still want to ask.

I have a full size Sailor Pro Gear black with silver accents.21238
[emoji26] Thanks.

Jon Szanto
September 10th, 2015, 01:35 AM
Um, you have to identify the pen, precisely, for anyone to tell you if you can get a new cap.

wangminze
September 10th, 2015, 01:44 AM
Sorry about that.
It's a full size Sailor Pro Gear black with silver accents.21238

Jon Szanto
September 10th, 2015, 02:06 AM
Oof. I haven't heard a lot of happy talk about getting parts from Sailor, did you buy it new from a retailer, and maybe they could help? I hope you can get the cap sorted, as that is a very nice pen (I have one in ivory with the rhodium trim).

wangminze
September 10th, 2015, 02:20 AM
Oof. I haven't heard a lot of happy talk about getting parts from Sailor, did you buy it new from a retailer, and maybe they could help? I hope you can get the cap sorted, as that is a very nice pen (I have one in ivory with the rhodium trim).

I got it off of eBay. There's not much I can go to them for...sigh.

Sorry I'm a bit confused about when you said "getting parts from Sailor", do you mean buying or from warranty? I hope it's not the first.

Jon Szanto
September 10th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Sorry I'm a bit confused about when you said "getting parts from Sailor", do you mean buying or from warranty? I hope it's not the first.

Well, I meant trying to contact Sailor to see if you can purchase a new cap. I can't see any other way of getting a replacement. Without a photo it is pointless to speculate on whether or not some form of repair could be done.

Laura N
September 10th, 2015, 11:55 AM

I got it off of eBay. There's not much I can go to them for...sigh.

If you drop your pen, that's usually not covered by warranty.

It's like crashing your car, unfortunately. I have a teenage son, so I know about that. :)

mhosea
September 10th, 2015, 12:28 PM
In the US you can email Itoya at info@itoya.com. It is not a warranty issue, but it may still be good to bear in mind a certain delicate aspect to the matter, insofar as Itoya is the exclusive distributor in the US, and you have obtained the pen directly from Japan, thereby bypassing Itoya. They would be within their rights not to help, but my advice would be just not to offer any information about how you got the pen. They probably will not ask. Indeed, they may not even care unless you are trying to make a warranty claim. I just don't know what their policy is.

Unfortunately, I doubt they will sell you a part in any case. I got the impression that they just never do that. What they do is ship your entire pen off to Japan for service (don't try to send them just the cap), and when they hear back from Sailor in Japan about it, they let you know how much it will cost to set it right. You'll be out at least $20 for shipping and handling no matter what, but you say yea or nay on the repair, pay what you owe, and then the pen comes back to you. It's supposed to take 4-6 weeks. I'd hazard a guess that because of the way the cap is constructed, you're basically going to need an entire new cap, which will probably cost you at least half what a new pen would cost if you imported it yourself again.

wangminze
September 10th, 2015, 07:29 PM
If it'll be this costly, then I don't think I'm going to go through with this. The chip is hard to notice and is not going to endanger the whole cap at the moment. Thanks for telling me about Itoya. I'll think more about it. I really hoped someone would have spares but it's unlikely.
Thanks.

mhosea
September 15th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Try this. Go to http://www.engeika.com/ . Register at the site (not everything is visible unless you do), and navigate to Sailor Fountain Pen parts.

wangminze
September 16th, 2015, 01:45 AM
Oh my gosh! Thank you so much! 21321
Tears of joy!

Jon Szanto
September 16th, 2015, 01:56 AM
Incredible find, Mike! Happy solution!

RayCornett
October 6th, 2015, 04:58 PM
For a moment I thought that price was for the entire pen,lol.