PDA

View Full Version : Nib Forum Section

Armstrong
September 10th, 2015, 07:19 PM
I was wondering if a section on the forum for Nibs might be useful. A place to discuss nib tuning, modifications, custom nibs reviewed, etc. Seems like it would have good activity.

Thank you for this forum, it is fantastic!

Crazyorange
September 10th, 2015, 09:03 PM
That's a great idea.

Neo
September 10th, 2015, 09:20 PM
That's a great idea.

.+1

Armstrong
September 11th, 2015, 05:10 AM
Thank you much :wink:. Hope it goes forward! I am prepared to do a custom nib review if it does.

Laura N
September 11th, 2015, 07:04 AM
I don't want to disagree with everyone, and obviously I seem to be alone in this view, but I really don't understand the need for this. Posts like that can just be put in "Pens in General." Or if it's a review, in the pen review section.

I think having too many subforums actually can make it harder to find things one might be interested in.

Sailor Kenshin
September 11th, 2015, 09:09 AM
I don't want to disagree with everyone, and obviously I seem to be alone in this view, but I really don't understand the need for this. Posts like that can just be put in "Pens in General." Or if it's a review, in the pen review section.

I think having too many subforums actually can make it harder to find things one might be interested in.

Not quite alone! This forum is, thankfully, small enough not to need too many sub-forums. Especially if you can use Show New Posts, or even subscribe to a forum.

jar
September 11th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Nib work is such a broad topic that it really belongs in either General or if a review of a specific example in reviews.

Armstrong
September 11th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Not to be contrary, I don't see that at all. Nib work is a specific set of skills applicable to the nib itself.

To me that is similar to saying automotive maintenance belongs in the section general maintenance where everything from jet airplanes to locomotives are discussed.

jar
September 11th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Not to be contrary, I don't see that at all. Nib work is a specific set of skills applicable to the nib itself.

To me that is similar to saying automotive maintenance belongs in the section general maintenance where everything from jet airplanes to locomotives are discussed.

Almost ever fountain pen I have ever found has a nib. Automotive maintenance would belong in a general automotive forum. Now a review of maintenance of a '67 Camaro 327 would likely belong in a "Chevy engine maintenance" topic in a reviews section.

inklord
September 11th, 2015, 03:46 PM
All for it - there are so many nibs floating around in a fairly independent manner, and this sub could cover that. Also, nibwork transcends pen brands and models.

Jon Szanto
September 11th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Where should we put these?

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/20100603-nibs-500.jpg

Neo
September 11th, 2015, 05:31 PM
Where should we put these?

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/20100603-nibs-500.jpg

In a cake?

dannzeman
September 12th, 2015, 08:28 AM
Nib tuning and customizing would go in the Repair forum. Special nib reviews would go in the Pen Review forum. There's not enough content to warrant a dedicated Nib forum.

Armstrong
September 13th, 2015, 05:42 PM
LOL you guys crack me up.

Armstrong
September 14th, 2015, 02:26 AM
Personally I don't see customization as a repair. It is a custom service requested because of a preference. A repair is specific to when something is broken. Also one will get into discussions with people who wish to dabble or become proficient at nib customizing. This does not fit under repair either. It is a skill one wishes to learn about. Modifications are not repairs and I would not go looking there for that information.

The real problem with using broad general categories is that when one goes looking for information it is very difficult to find anything specific to your interest. It becomes a hit and miss proposition. One might say use the search engine. Well that is a bit of the same thing. The search result will be highly dependent on the terms used. If those terms do not match a thread or thread keywords, then you will miss that information. But, if the information is organized into reasonable sized topical areas, like nibs, then it is much easier to sift and digest the information.

I really think nibs, in and of themselves, deserve a section. After all it is where the ink meets the paper and where people tend to get their writing impression of a pen.

Jon Szanto
September 14th, 2015, 02:47 AM
After all it is where the ink meets the paper and where people tend to get their writing impression of a pen.

I don't think anyone would dispute your categorization of how important a nib is, and the part it plays in the use of the pen. The main point is that these discussions and posts are a very small percentage of the traffic, and one balance, people seem to prefer having nib information somewhere in the pre-existing mix rather than a further fragmentation of the sub-forum structure. At some point, it really is just a judgement issue. The smaller the niche of the subject matter, the more apropos it might be for a general web search as opposed to some dedicated area on a small discussion forum.

dneal
September 26th, 2015, 06:02 AM
Personally I don't see customization as a repair. It is a custom service requested because of a preference. A repair is specific to when something is broken. Also one will get into discussions with people who wish to dabble or become proficient at nib customizing. This does not fit under repair either. It is a skill one wishes to learn about. Modifications are not repairs and I would not go looking there for that information.

The real problem with using broad general categories is that when one goes looking for information it is very difficult to find anything specific to your interest. It becomes a hit and miss proposition. One might say use the search engine. Well that is a bit of the same thing. The search result will be highly dependent on the terms used. If those terms do not match a thread or thread keywords, then you will miss that information. But, if the information is organized into reasonable sized topical areas, like nibs, then it is much easier to sift and digest the information.

I really think nibs, in and of themselves, deserve a section. After all it is where the ink meets the paper and where people tend to get their writing impression of a pen.

If you retitled the repair forum to something more inclusive, like "repair and maintenance", it could satisfy both viewpoints.

mhosea
September 26th, 2015, 11:44 AM

FPN has such a section, though I'm not sure the information to be found there is quite as rich as you might hope. And FPN has a lot more participation on topics like that. I've come to expect low traffic on FPG in the areas of repair and adjustment. Ink, too, though that has been picking up a bit.

Armstrong
September 27th, 2015, 02:53 AM
Thanks Mike, I'll check it out.