PDA

View Full Version : Daly's Pen Shop

kirchh
September 16th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Daly's Pen Shop has re-listed a Waterman Hundred Year Pen on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/131603644971). The pen is a marriage of a later cap and an earlier barrel of non-matching styles. I informed them of this during the first listing (http://www.ebay.com/itm/141769209396), but the listing was not corrected, nor was my message acknowledged. I noticed today that the pen has been re-listed, with no mention of the fact that the pen is a Frankenpen. I attempted to send another message alerting Daly's to this fact, but I was unable to do so, as Daly's has now blocked me.

--Daniel

mrcharlie
September 16th, 2015, 11:15 PM
Wild. I don't know much about the 100 Year Pen, but their photo of the capped pen doesn't look right even if you've never seen one before.

jar
September 17th, 2015, 07:22 AM
I asked about that in the past and they acknowledged that the cap and barrel are different eras but said the fit is perfect. They were polite and responsive. They also pointed out that it was an auction starting a 99 cents and so someone may get a bargain.

It is not being sold as pristine.

kirchh
September 17th, 2015, 08:44 AM
I asked about that in the past and they acknowledged that the cap and barrel are different eras but said the fit is perfect. They were polite and responsive. They also pointed out that it was an auction starting a 99 cents and so someone may get a bargain.

"Pristine" refers to condition, not to correctness. so that's not relevant. This is a combination of two different pens. The fit of the cap and barrel has no bearing on that fact. Put another way, it's not a pen; it's a pen cap from one model and a barrel from another model. Yet, despite Daly's knowing this, it is not mentioned anywhere in the description. Whether someone may or may not "get a bargain" is irrelevant. The seller is withholding crucial information about the item.

--Daniel

jar
September 17th, 2015, 08:59 AM

"Pristine" refers to condition, not to correctness. so that's not relevant. This is a combination of two different pens. The fit of the cap and barrel has no bearing on that fact. Put another way, it's not a pen; it's a pen cap from one model and a barrel from another model. Yet, despite Daly's knowing this, it is not mentioned anywhere in the description. Whether someone may or may not "get a bargain" is irrelevant. The seller is withholding crucial information about the item.

--Daniel

Yet back when I asked about it they withheld nothing.

Buyers do have a certain responsibility to know about the product they are bidding on.

You are free to object to their description and to point it out.

kirchh
September 17th, 2015, 09:43 AM

--Daniel

They added the information about this being the cap from one model and the barrel from another model to their eBay description, and/or they published your question and their answer in the listing?

Buyers do have a certain responsibility to know about the product they are bidding on.

Irrelevant to my point. The seller knows that this item is made up of parts from two different models and Daly's has decided to withhold that information from its listing. The listing is misleading, which you do not dispute.

Do sellers have a certain responsibility to accurately describe their items to the extent of their knowledge?

I am doing so here, because the seller has decided to conceal the information that they possess about the item being made up of parts from two different models.

--Daniel

jar
September 17th, 2015, 09:51 AM

--Daniel

They added the information about this being the cap from one model and the barrel from another model to their eBay description, and/or they published your question and their answer in the listing?

Irrelevant to my point. The seller knows that this item is made up of parts from two different models and Daly's has decided to withhold that information from its listing. The listing is misleading, which you do not dispute.

Do sellers have a certain responsibility to accurately describe their items to the extent of their knowledge?

I am doing so here, because the seller has decided to conceal the information that they possess about the item being made up of parts from two different models.

--Daniel

I have no idea since I have not bothered to check the listing.

I find the item described as pretty much something that came in in a batch of pens and not in working order; the kind of thing you might take a chance on.

I also did not find that they concealed anything.

You are upset it seems; I am not.

kirchh
September 17th, 2015, 08:08 PM

--Daniel

--Daniel

I find the item described as pretty much something that came in in a batch of pens and not in working order; the kind of thing you might take a chance on.

Whether it came by itself or in a batch of pens is irrelevant to the fact that the seller knows it is parts from two different models, but is concealing that fact.

Whether it is in working order or not is irrelevant to the fact that the seller knows it is parts from two different models, but is concealing that fact.

I also did not find that they concealed anything.

Right, because, as you admit,

I have no idea [if they revealed the fact that the item is parts from two different models] since I have not bothered to check the listing.

So you can't know if they concealed anything, because you do not know what they have revealed in the auction listing. If you're interested -- which you seem to be, given your responses in this thread -- why don't you read the listing and see if they are concealing their knowledge that the item is made up of the cap from one model of pen and the body from another?

You are upset it seems; I am not.

I'm not upset; I'm concerned that other pen collectors will be misled by Daly's auction listing because they are withholding crucial information about the item and therefore misrepresenting it in a way that makes it appear more valuable than it actually is. I understand that you are neither upset nor concerned, but as you admit, you don't know what the listing says, so you don't know if they are concealing their knowledge that the item is made up of parts from two different models. Once you make that determination, you might also be concerned, or you might feel that professional pen stores with long histories are perfectly within their rights to misrepresent items by concealing critical facts, perhaps in an effort to maximize their selling prices. I would disagree.

--Daniel

jar
September 17th, 2015, 08:19 PM
Yup Dan, we understand.

kirchh
September 17th, 2015, 08:52 PM
Yup Dan, we understand.

"We"? For whom are you speaking, besides yourself?

In any event, my observation stands, and the purpose of this forum has been served.

--Daniel

pengeezer
September 21st, 2015, 11:20 AM
I have done this in the past for some sellers on fleabay--some listen and thank me for bringing it to
their attention,and some(like this seller)don't acknowledge me at all. These kind of sellers I won't buy
from at all--no telling what they may be hiding,and they usually won't take returns but expect you to
get with fleabay to settle the matter.

This is where doing your homework comes in--knowing the different types of brands and models.

John