PDA

View Full Version : Bit of advice about ink flow - Pilot Custom 74

Jolltax
September 16th, 2015, 11:36 AM
Looking for a bit of advice :

I recently bought a Pilot Custom 74 from Japan (I live in the UK) with the 14k Soft Fine-Medium nib and I really like the pen. The nib is great for me and I am really enjoying writing with it. It has the CON 70 pump converter. There is one frustrating thing I would like some advice on sorting out, however.

The nib is smooth and quite springy as expected and writes very nicely and the pen is quite wet initially. In use, however, after about half a page of writing the pen goes completely dry and needs to be re-primed and is difficult to restart - this is very annoying as invariably I end up switching to another pen to avoid having to stop what I am doing.

I obviously can't send it back to Japan and I am more than happy to take the risk of adjustment myself but am a bit puzzled what is going on the with the pen - is it the feed which can't keep up with the nib? The nib is a quite flexible and soft so I wouldnt have expected it to dry out unless the feed can't keep up.

I have flushed the pen with water and have been using it with the converter full or close to full. Been using the pen for the last 2 days and this mis-behaviour is pretty consistent, about half a page down it conks out and goes completely dry and refuses to write at all.

Any advice or similar experiences?

Jolltax

RudyR
September 16th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Before all else, try switching to a different ink. Some pens just don't like some inks, simple as that. For instance, I have a M205 Pelikan that has a number of inks through it and never had a problem. Then I tried to use some of the iron gall inks I have and it behaved just as you described. It worked well with my Montblanc Midnight Blue (Iron Gall formula) but when I switched to R&K Scaribosa, it balked. I then switched to ESSRI and again it balked. Then I tried Platinum Blue Black (another IG ink). It is writing fine to this moment.

Chrissy
September 16th, 2015, 01:36 PM
I have a Pilot Custom 74 with a M nib, and I haven't experienced this problem even though I use mine with many different inks. In fact mine has been filled with J Herbin Emerald of Chivor for over a month now, and I haven't had a similar problem.

I have no fear of this pen and pull my nib and feed straight out to clean them. Perhaps you should try this when you next change inks in yours, so that you can be sure that everything is properly clean.

Mine has great flow, and that's what I like about it. It makes the EofC ink look really great

Jolltax
September 16th, 2015, 02:50 PM
This is great advice, I'm gonna pull the nib, clean things up AND change the ink.

You guys are awesome

J

earthdawn
September 16th, 2015, 03:19 PM
I have a Pilot Custom 74 with a M nib, and I haven't experienced this problem even though I use mine with many different inks. In fact mine has been filled with J Herbin Emerald of Chivor for over a month now, and I haven't had a similar problem.

I have no fear of this pen and pull my nib and feed straight out to clean them. Perhaps you should try this when you next change inks in yours, so that you can be sure that everything is properly clean.

Mine has great flow, and that's what I like about it. It makes the EofC ink look really great

Same here and that advice above is exactly what to follow.

These are fantastic writers and should not give you any issues .. ever.. well maybe the rare occasion but it is RARE.

Let us know how you make out and congrats on the 74 !

Chrissy
September 16th, 2015, 03:38 PM
This is great advice, I'm gonna pull the nib, clean things up AND change the ink.

You guys are awesome

J

If you do this anywhere near a sink, please remember to put the plug in before pulling the nib or cleaning the parts. :)

Jolltax
September 17th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Great news, I stripped the pen, cleaned everything, filied it up with Diamine Sapphire Blue and have written with it all day today without issues (maybe 6-7 pages)

Am loving the nib and really enjoying using it. I am now thinking of buying more Japanese pens as I think the nibs agree with me ..... (Sailor Realo, Platinum #3776)

Thanks all for the advice.

Cheers!

J