PDA

View Full Version : Model of Mont Blanc??

ammarmirali
September 18th, 2015, 12:46 AM
I was given this pen today. Any idea what model it is or how much its worth? It was bought in Paris in 1992, and the color is called "burgundy bordeaux." Thanks!

Sevenof9
September 18th, 2015, 01:54 AM
it is a nice burgundy 144. Use and enjoy they are nice writers. 7

ammarmirali
September 18th, 2015, 01:59 AM
it is a nice burgundy 144. Use and enjoy they are nice writers. 7

Any idea how much its worth?

Chrissy
September 18th, 2015, 05:48 AM
It is a bordeaux Meisterstuck 144 or Classique as they called it when they made it. They now refer to that size Meisterstuck pen as the 144 though.

Montblanc always called this colour bordeaux not burgundy. :)

They were probably just choosing the name from between the 2 different wine areas. LOL

inklord
September 18th, 2015, 05:47 PM
The Bordeaux vs Burgundy probably stems from the German origin, where 'Bordeauxrot' sounds a lot more classy than the antiquated 'Burgunderrot' which reminds us of the Nibelungen saga... pretty musty-dusty :)
Nice pen btw. My wife has one in black, which had a fall, a repair, and never wrote well ever after :(

FredRydr
September 18th, 2015, 07:50 PM
In the USA, your early 144R with black section is worth upwards of $150 depending of course upon condition. The clean box with papers is a plus. Watch for corrosion on the ring at the bottom of the section, which in turn damages the clutch in the cap. An aftermarket replacement of that ring is available.

It is often claimed in the pen forums that pens to be sold in France always have 18k nibs, but if the original source of your 14k pen is Paris, it raises some doubt as to that claim.

Fred

Chrissy
September 19th, 2015, 11:13 AM
In the USA, your early 144R with black section is worth upwards of $150 depending of course upon condition. The clean box with papers is a plus. Watch for corrosion on the ring at the bottom of the section, which in turn damages the clutch in the cap. An aftermarket replacement of that ring is available.

It is often claimed in the pen forums that pens to be sold in France always have 18k nibs, but if the original source of your 14k pen is Paris, it raises some doubt as to that claim.

Fred

I must admit I prefer the all bordeaux version. I always think that the one with a black section looks like it's had a replacement section put on it or had one switched in. Recently, I heard they don't have bordeaux parts left.

pajaro
September 25th, 2015, 09:59 PM
I have four of these pens, and the last time I bought one I paid $130 on ebay. I like the bordeaux better than the black ones, but I have one black one too. The first one I bought for $135 in 1983, and it is a medium with a black section. The next two are fine and broad stub, bordeaux with bordeaux sections, $190 in 1990 and $100 on ebay around 2007. The next is bordeaux with a blue section, fine, used, from ebay, $100. The black is extra fine, used, from ebay $130.

I rate these pens just a little below the Parker 51 and the MB 146. The only thing about the 144 that down rates it is that the section gold clutch ring and the inner cap are subject to wear and can cause a repair cost. After the Parker 51 and the MB 146 the MB 144 is better than every other pen I have tried. They always write, and until I started using pens other than these three, I never knew what skipping and non starting were.

FredRydr
September 26th, 2015, 11:01 AM
...bordeaux with a blue section....

Bordeaux with a blue section? I never saw one of those.

Fred

pajaro
September 26th, 2015, 11:35 AM
Best I can tell, the blue section must have been the Ramses section.

------------------------

Edit to add: I can't remember how this pen came to have the blue section. I remember buying the pen with a two tone nib on ebay, but the section might have been bad. So the blue section might be a replacement. I don't think MB sold it that way.