PDA

View Full Version : I want your flex

duende
October 18th, 2012, 08:56 PM
TWSBI will be coming out with an economy model FP. This is a great idea, but I think they should also consider sticking a flex nib on this model. This will increase the price of the pen by a few dollars but given that the pen is already cheap to begin with, I think it would be a great opportunity for those of us who are flex crazed. What do you think? Yay or nay?

dannzeman
October 18th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I have to disagree. While I think flex in a TWSBI would be awesome, I don't think TWSBI could pull it off from a quality control perspective. The reason I say this is because look at Noodler's flex pens. They good pens, I'm not bashing them, but they're also not ready to go right out the box. A lot of tuning is required to get them to an optimal setting and I don't think that's something TWSBI wants.

--Sent from my mobile.

duende
October 18th, 2012, 09:09 PM
TWSBI will be coming out with an economy model FP. This is a great idea, but I think they should also consider sticking a flex nib on this model. This will increase the price of the pen by a few dollars but given that the pen is already cheap to begin with, I think it would be a great opportunity for those of us who are flex crazed. What do you think? Yay or nay?

This is a good point. But you also have to recall that Twsbi customer tend to be tinkerers, which is why they included the little wrench and the bottle of lube =) So the question I guess is not only how much would you be willing to pay but also how much time you want to spend fiddling with a flex nib.

dannzeman
October 18th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Yes, but there's a difference between tinkering to get your pen to write and tinkering to see how your pen operates. I think the majority of TWSBI owners are beginners / first time fountain pen owners who just want their pen to work.

I have an Ahab and as much as like to tinker, take pens apart, and adjust them, it sits in the case because I don't want to fiddle with it when I know my vintage Parker, Aurora, Waterman, or Wahl will flex to my hearts content without hesitating.

I think TWSBI has the chops to do it right. But then that $30 pen becomes a $100, at least, when done correctly. And that's something I don't mind paying for.

--Sent from my mobile.

earthdawn
October 18th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Well its not Twsbi nib BUT there is a solution of sorts.

You can swap the nib out for a Flex nib from Fountain Pen Revolution...

I tried it and it works fine.

read here.
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/1201-TWSBI-540-with-FPR-flex-nib

duende
October 18th, 2012, 10:29 PM
I have an Ahab and as much as like to tinker, take pens apart, and adjust them, it sits in the case because I don't want to fiddle with it when I know my vintage Parker, Aurora, Waterman, or Wahl will flex to my hearts content without hesitating.

--Sent from my mobile.

Ah you see, this is the rub of the matter and the main reason I brought up the topic. If you want flex you need to go hunting for a vintage pen because modern companies are simply not interested in producing them. I think vintage is fine if that's your preference, but it doesn't work for me. The vibe is just not right. I'd gladly pay a hundred bucks for a good modern flex pen. Alas, I don't think it will happen for the reasons that you indicated, but one can always dream.

duende
October 18th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Well its not Twsbi nib BUT there is a solution of sorts.

You can swap the nib out for a Flex nib from Fountain Pen Revolution...

I tried it and it works fine.

read here.
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/1201-TWSBI-540-with-FPR-flex-nib

Excellent suggestion.

manoeuver
October 19th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Ah you see, this is the rub of the matter and the main reason I brought up the topic. If you want flex you need to go hunting for a vintage pen because modern companies are simply not interested in producing them. I think vintage is fine if that's your preference, but it doesn't work for me. The vibe is just not right. I'd gladly pay a hundred bucks for a good modern flex pen. Alas, I don't think it will happen for the reasons that you indicated, but one can always dream.
Check out the Namiki Falcons with the 'soft' designated nibs.

snedwos
October 19th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Or if you want to sprig €1000 for a Romillo pen with one of their K nibs...

inky
October 19th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Yes, but there's a difference between tinkering to get your pen to write and tinkering to see how your pen operates. I think the majority of TWSBI owners are beginners / first time fountain pen owners who just want their pen to work.

I think TWSBI has the chops to do it right. But then that $30 pen becomes a $100, at least, when done correctly. And that's something I don't mind paying for.

--Sent from my mobile.

I have to agree with Dan on this one. I have 5 Noodlers flex pens, of the 5, I have one that I can turn to for predictable performance. I couldn't see paying for a $100 Twsbi just for flex though. Once you hit that price point I think if it isn't much diffrent from the Namiki Falcon then the Falcon is the way to go. I will say that if they came out with a flex nib unit for their existing 540 or vac line, I'd be willing to pay a little more for the nib unit then what the current units go for themselves.

I may have to get one of those flex nibs from FPR though and try out the flex mod.

duende
October 19th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Check out the Namiki Falcons with the 'soft' designated nibs.

Yes, I own a Namiki Falcon, and it is nice pen, but the flex is not ideal. The more economical and formidable Ahab has nicer flex, but the nib in the Ahab feels a bit "rough." I really think that TWSBI, or Noodlers, is in a good position to come up with a flex pen that is affordable (around $100) and performs like a dream machine. Their main obstacle is that such a pen may not be marketable to wider audience who are not familiar with the joy of flex. FP Geeks would go wild but the general public might simply go 'meh.'

Truly, I'm astounded that not many company have thrown their hat in the ring. I mean, come on, we're living in the age of nanotechnology, quantum computers, 3D printing, genetic engineering, space travel, cybernetics, neural implants, planetary rovers... and no company can grab a piece of metal and add some flex to it??? Come on TWSBI, come on Lamy Come on Pelikan! Pen makers of the world unite! You got nothing to lose but the stiffness of your nibs.

:fans:

snedwos
October 19th, 2012, 02:36 PM
The wider general public will tend to go 'meh' at fountain pens anyway...

magnesium68
February 5th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Noodlers creaper are really good flex the only bad point is the quality control . On 5 creapers that i own 4 works perfectly and 1 (the pumpkin poltergeist) was a total disaster even after doing the ritual cleaning , greasing and fine tuning of the feed and nib.

Concerning the Ahab 1 of the 2 i own is a total lemon , strangely its again the pumpkin poltergeist...

I really like the Noodlers brand, actually i placed last night another order for an Ahab and a Konrad. :)

Wish me luck!

snedwos
February 5th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Clearly you have a poltergeist!

fountainpenkid
February 5th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Yes, I own a Namiki Falcon, and it is nice pen, but the flex is not ideal. The more economical and formidable Ahab has nicer flex, but the nib in the Ahab feels a bit "rough." I really think that TWSBI, or Noodlers, is in a good position to come up with a flex pen that is affordable (around $100) and performs like a dream machine. Their main obstacle is that such a pen may not be marketable to wider audience who are not familiar with the joy of flex. FP Geeks would go wild but the general public might simply go 'meh.'

Truly, I'm astounded that not many company have thrown their hat in the ring. I mean, come on, we're living in the age of nanotechnology, quantum computers, 3D printing, genetic engineering, space travel, cybernetics, neural implants, planetary rovers... and no company can grab a piece of metal and add some flex to it??? Come on TWSBI, come on Lamy Come on Pelikan! Pen makers of the world unite! You got nothing to lose but the stiffness of your nibs.

:fans:
I don' think beginners would necessarily go "meh." I think a lot of people, if they realized the awesome and expressive handwriting they could produce with a flex nib, would buy one! Who doesn't want awesome handwriting?!

snedwos
February 5th, 2013, 05:19 PM
I don' think beginners would necessarily go "meh." I think a lot of people, if they realized the awesome and expressive handwriting they could produce with a flex nib, would buy one! Who doesn't want awesome handwriting?!

People who think handwriting is a waste of time...

fountainpenkid
February 5th, 2013, 05:51 PM
People who think handwriting is a waste of time...

Yeah...but I would like to believe that there aren't that many people in the world that think that.

manoeuver
February 5th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Heard some interesting info at the philly show last month- guy at one boooth sez vintage flex nibs were cast, and modern nibs are not cast (stamped I guess?) and that's why modern flex doesn't compare with vintage.

Anyone know if this is true?

fountainpenkid
February 5th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Heard some interesting info at the philly show last month- guy at one boooth sez vintage flex nibs were cast, and modern nibs are not cast (stamped I guess?) and that's why modern flex doesn't compare with vintage.

Anyone know if this is true?

I've heard a simmilar thing. It makes sense to me from the little I've read about materials engineering.

Bogon07
February 5th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Noodlers creaper are really good flex the only bad point is the quality control . On 5 creapers that i own 4 works perfectly and 1 (the pumpkin poltergeist) was a total disaster even after doing the ritual cleaning , greasing and fine tuning of the feed and nib.

Concerning the Ahab 1 of the 2 i own is a total lemon , strangely its again the pumpkin poltergeist...

I really like the Noodlers brand, actually i placed last night another order for an Ahab and a Konrad. :)

Wish me luck!

Oh no, not the Poltergeist !!!
It is on the list to join my Bumblebee Creaper along with a Konrad * Tortoise if those darn Ripples don't show up soon at GPs.

Lince
February 10th, 2013, 08:14 PM
My Serwex from Fountain Pen Revolution is a piston filler with flex for 7 dollars delivered to my doorstep, I did not had to tinker with it at all and it is a GREAT flexer.
It has finer lines than the Ahad,is flexes with less force and has better snapback.
I agree with the initial poster that a flex option for twsbi CAN be done and I would be the firts (well maybe second) to go for it.
Or get the flex nib from FPR for 2 dollars and swap it. (If it is possible, I donīt know and have not tried it).
So if some one is doing good flex nibs for 2 dollars, TWSBI can also do it.