PDA

View Full Version : It never stops xD

Josephtibbetts
September 25th, 2015, 08:12 PM
I have 8-9 pens arriving over the next couple of months. And gah! It doesn't stop haha. One is the famous "Unicorn Barf pen" Then a few Customs from Tim Cullens of Hooligan Pen co. And then a Nakaya Maki-e. Plus pens from trades and a Noodlers neoponset Gah. My wallet needs a break haha.

Empty_of_Clouds
September 25th, 2015, 08:26 PM
I have never really understood the attraction of simply throwing money at things, i.e where no effort nor sacrifice is involved. Where does the sense of value come in? Or perhaps there is none.

Josephtibbetts
September 25th, 2015, 09:34 PM
I'm actually being selective in the pens I pay out for now. Where as trades, I know what I am looking add to the collection, or know what I want to try, so I will try to add them. Like the Nakaya, and the customs are all being added for specific reasons, either there is something about the pen, or the material. It's special

Laura N
September 25th, 2015, 09:35 PM
What is the famous Unicorn Barf pen?

Josephtibbetts
September 25th, 2015, 09:45 PM
Haha, Laura, it's a pen Edison pens made out a certain material of theirs, I'll post a picture of a sibling to the pen I'm having made

Empty_of_Clouds
September 25th, 2015, 09:56 PM
I'm actually being selective in the pens I pay out for now. Where as trades, I know what I am looking add to the collection, or know what I want to try, so I will try to add them. Like the Nakaya, and the customs are all being added for specific reasons, either there is something about the pen, or the material. It's special

I dunno, this would be insufficient for me. See shiny thing, buy shiny thing - to paraphrase GLaDOS. There is a complete absence of the sense of the quest.

To each their own, I suppose.

Josephtibbetts
September 26th, 2015, 01:07 AM
I already did that "ZOMG I must have every pen" phase, I just did a massive sell off, so limiting the size and scope of the collection and focusing on what I know I like.

Empty_of_Clouds
September 26th, 2015, 02:16 AM
Okay, I am sorry you didn't understand what I wrote. It wasn't about buying every pen, it was the notion that buying any pen is only an exercise in spending money. The scenario is this: Big pile of cash, look in the catalogue (online or whatever), buy what you want. There is no sense of connection, in my opinion, no striving for something, no effort involved whatsoever. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, or that it is wrong.

A little while ago I was unexpectedly gifted with a lovely leather pen case made by Michael (MY63). This has meaning, it has connection, and it has personal value. If I simply go and buy another pen case - and I surely will if I end up with any more pens - then the bought case will have only utility and no other value. Michael's case is special to me.

Last year I was gifted a Parson's Essential by migo984. In a recent communication she expressed some surprise that I still had it and was using it. For me, how it could it be any other way? The pen has meaning beyond something simply bought.

I am after a special pen just for me. Don't know exactly what it is yet, that's part of the game, but my candidate list is now very short. I just gave away two pens that, had I sold them, would have moved me a little closer to my goal. Giving them away was worth more to me than simply throwing cash at something I wanted. So, I'll have to wait some more, and slowly accumulate the money and at the same time refine my list of candidates. When the time comes to acquire, the pen will already have a bit of history just from the quest.

Perhaps my goal will remain ever beyond my reach, but like the Holy Grail (though obviously not so lofty a quest) the joy and the growth is in the journey.

<I'm feeling a bit blue this evening. My partner has been relentlessly and systematically bullied in her internship over the course of the year and there is nothing we can do about it right now. There isn't a procedure in place. On top of this it is now certain that she will not be passed by the preceptor, mainly because he doesn't give a damn. This is a man who is professionally negligent and works in a health care environment. His day will come>

Llewellyn
September 26th, 2015, 04:17 AM

.................To each their own, I suppose.

Exactly, live and let live

Empty_of_Clouds
September 26th, 2015, 04:28 AM
Exactly, live and let live

That does not mean I should not express how I feel about such things. The irony would be unbearable!

catbert
September 26th, 2015, 04:48 AM
... I just gave away two pens that, had I sold them, would have moved me a little closer to my goal. Giving them away was worth more to me than simply throwing cash at something I wanted. ...

Glad something positive came out of that whole unsatisfactory pen experience.

Miss Fountain Pen
September 26th, 2015, 06:30 AM
Cryptos, it seems to me that you and Josephtibbetts are trying to accomplish rather different things with your pen purchases. Josephtibbetts seems to have an idea of what his collection should look like, and he's trying to find pens that fill the niches that haven't yet been filled. You're looking not so much for a pen to fill any particular niche, but rather for a pen that has some sort of deeper personal meaning for you (for instance, it was offered as a gift). You're also looking for a Holy Grail pen, but be careful with that, as it's entirely possible you'll never find it.

Laura N
September 26th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Haha, Laura, it's a pen Edison pens made out a certain material of theirs, I'll post a picture of a sibling to the pen I'm having made

I'd like to see that. Or even just a link to the material. Funny name. :)

Crazyorange
September 26th, 2015, 09:17 AM

Unicorn barf pen. Edison pen company has an acrylic named Hawaiian breeze, which got the nick name unicorn barf.

Laura N
September 26th, 2015, 09:23 AM

Unicorn barf pen. Edison pen company has an acrylic named Hawaiian breeze, which got the nick name unicorn barf.

Thanks! That is quite an acrylic. Do you know who gave it the nickname?

Also, I hope Jon is not drinking coffee when he reads this thread, or his keyboard is going to be damaged. :)

Crazyorange
September 26th, 2015, 09:26 AM

Also, I hope Jon is not drinking coffee when he reads this thread, or his keyboard is going to be damaged. :)

I think Brian did. His wife picked it out for the DC show. Brian felt the pens in the Hawaiian breeze wouldn't sell. They all sold in the first couple of hours. Brian thought it looked like a unicorn barfed up colors. It just stuck. I'm guessing the acrylic has taken off and people are requesting it.

Miss Fountain Pen
September 26th, 2015, 09:31 AM
Josephtibbetts, care to share which Nakaya Maki-e you're getting? :)

Josephtibbetts
September 26th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Cryptos, it seems to me that you and Josephtibbetts are trying to accomplish rather different things with your pen purchases. Josephtibbetts seems to have an idea of what his collection should look like, and he's trying to find pens that fill the niches that haven't yet been filled. You're looking not so much for a pen to fill any particular niche, but rather for a pen that has some sort of deeper personal meaning for you (for instance, it was offered as a gift). You're also looking for a Holy Grail pen, but be careful with that, as it's entirely possible you'll never find it.

I agree with this summery. I'm finding pens that again, fit specific area's on my collection I don't yet have. or, I'm trying to make a sub-collection within my collection. For example, the Maki-e

Josephtibbetts
September 26th, 2015, 04:08 PM

I have on almost like a non-committal pre-order with Nibs.com the "Cat Enjoying moon" Piccolo

Josephtibbetts
September 26th, 2015, 04:10 PM

Yes! I actually asked for this material via the name "Unicorn barf" And Brian knew exactly what I wanted.

I think Brian did. His wife picked it out for the DC show. Brian felt the pens in the Hawaiian breeze wouldn't sell. They all sold in the first couple of hours. Brian thought it looked like a unicorn barfed up colors. It just stuck. I'm guessing the acrylic has taken off and people are requesting it.

Exactly

Jon Szanto
September 26th, 2015, 04:30 PM
Somewhere overhead, above the Edison Pen manufacturing facility...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/db/3f/81/db3f81b49735656cc8a474aebebe986e.gif

Crazyorange
September 26th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Somewhere overhead, above the Edison Pen manufacturing facility...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/db/3f/81/db3f81b49735656cc8a474aebebe986e.gif

Unicorn poop?

AltecGreen
September 26th, 2015, 06:07 PM
That Edison is not a barf pen. This one is.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2571/4062424881_d844aedb38_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/7bYZoi)

Sailor Kenshin
September 26th, 2015, 06:53 PM
Sold!

Seriously...you all are making me think. And my head hurts. ;)

Miss Fountain Pen
September 27th, 2015, 01:46 AM

I have on almost like a non-committal pre-order with Nibs.com the "Cat Enjoying moon" Piccolo

Now that's a stunning pen! One of the prettiest Nakayas IMHO. :) (I love cats.) I doubt I'll ever get one for myself because it's a bit too expensive for me, plus I find that my Piccolo is the least comfortable of my four Nakayas (this is obviously highly personal; many people find them very comfortable). I have no intention of getting rid of my Piccolo, though, as its shiro-tamenuri finish (now sadly discontinued) is way too pretty.

But you know, if I could get an Enjoying the Moon Cat on a Naka-ai, heh, I might talk myself into swallowing the cost! :p

stub
September 27th, 2015, 05:53 AM
Yeah, the clown puke thing has been around forever and a day. Musicians will recognize that slang and the finish it refers to on drums and guitar picks, etc. from the 1970s. I can't recall when I first heard the term but that pen by Altec Green is a good example. I am sure Unicorn barf is just a riff on that. But a good riff indeed.

Sailor Kenshin
September 27th, 2015, 10:06 AM
So...I really have been thinking.

Went through the phase of, 'Oooo, pretty, want!' Bought a lot of pens that way. I gave lots away as my own quirks emerged (no metal bodies or sections, nothing too heavy or slim) but still have many of them, because they were inexpensive, I enjoy writing with them, and, you know... science experiments.

I'm pretty much over that phase. Maybe.

I don't use the term 'grail pen. There is one pen I still yearn for, but it would have to be user-grade, and practically jump into my pocket.

It could happen.

What I DO love, however, is the 'stealth' pen. You know. The one that you don't really care for, but you use it anyway, because it didn't cost an arm and a leg, or because you want to empty the tank, or you want a pen to use in another room, or whatever.

And you end up falling in love with it. And cannot put it down.

mtnbiker62
September 27th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Unicorn excretions - check
Fountain pens - check
Video game reference - check

It's official. This is the best internet thread EVER! :crazy_pilot:

inklord
September 27th, 2015, 01:40 PM
What I DO love, however, is the 'stealth' pen. You know. The one that you don't really care for, but you use it anyway, because it didn't cost an arm and a leg, or because you want to empty the tank, or you want a pen to use in another room, or whatever.

And you end up falling in love with it. And cannot put it down.
Indeed. The pen I use for work (in my gardening/landscaping truck) originally came along for sheer utility because it's a pen by one of my 2 favorite 'big' pen makers, and it's an inexpensive specimen. Now I just love that pen. Incidentally it actually is in the stealth pattern in the other sense of the word, as well.
That pen, and another pen which a different, 'small' maker introduced just after I had actually dreamed it up in my head, pretty much put a stopper on any pen shopping for me. Not that I will never buy another pen, but I'm really not looking for one.
And just like you, Sailor, I still have that grail pen out there, but it certainly is just a high-quality utilitarian pen, and if it happens, it happens, and if not, that's just as well - it's out there, and I know it's a good one... :)

Josephtibbetts
September 28th, 2015, 09:39 PM

Now that's a stunning pen! One of the prettiest Nakayas IMHO. :) (I love cats.) I doubt I'll ever get one for myself because it's a bit too expensive for me, plus I find that my Piccolo is the least comfortable of my four Nakayas (this is obviously highly personal; many people find them very comfortable). I have no intention of getting rid of my Piccolo, though, as its shiro-tamenuri finish (now sadly discontinued) is way too pretty.

But you know, if I could get an Enjoying the Moon Cat on a Naka-ai, heh, I might talk myself into swallowing the cost! :p

I agree on it being pretty. It's also going to be the start of a sub-collection of Maki-e pens in my collection

Faustine
September 29th, 2015, 01:16 PM
I actually have the inside scoop on the Unicorn Barf name from the DC Pen Show - I posted about it on my blog along with tons of pics of my Edison pen: https://pensandart.wordpress.com/2015/09/07/new-pen-the-edison-pen-co-mina-aka-unicorn-barf/

https://pensandart.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/wpid-img_20150814_150213.jpg?w=600&h=600

Faustine
September 29th, 2015, 01:18 PM
Went through the phase of, 'Oooo, pretty, want!' Bought a lot of pens that way.

That describes me perfectly right now haha.

Sailor Kenshin
September 29th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Excellent bloggage! Ooooo...pretttyyyy....

Rhodia pads in COLORS. *faint*

caribbean_skye
September 29th, 2015, 07:52 PM
hey Chefz! Tis funny how you recognise ppl by their pens. Still love your unicorn barf pen

Josephtibbetts
September 29th, 2015, 09:29 PM
I actually have the inside scoop on the Unicorn Barf name from the DC Pen Show - I posted about it on my blog along with tons of pics of my Edison pen: https://pensandart.wordpress.com/2015/09/07/new-pen-the-edison-pen-co-mina-aka-unicorn-barf/

https://pensandart.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/wpid-img_20150814_150213.jpg?w=600&h=600

:D Never thought I'd get to say I LOVE your pen.

Faustine
September 30th, 2015, 11:01 AM

I like yours too!! Welcome to the Unicorn Barf club hahaha. :welcome:

Josephtibbetts
October 6th, 2015, 06:16 PM

I like yours too!! Welcome to the Unicorn Barf club hahaha. :welcome:

Mine shall be born in December D: I can't wait xD

pajaro
October 10th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Looks like woosie barf. Insipid jewel tones.

inklord
October 11th, 2015, 04:38 AM

...after this, I'm ready to join the Black Pen Society - if they will have me (I guess I'll first have to become 'somebody' in pendom :) )

Josephtibbetts
October 13th, 2015, 01:31 AM

...after this, I'm ready to join the Black Pen Society - if they will have me (I guess I'll first have to become 'somebody' in pendom :) )

All you need to do is declare your love and appreciation of black pens.