PDA

View Full Version : Manu Propria - Aka-Ishimeji-Nuri

Manupropria
September 26th, 2015, 07:25 AM
One for the weekend, a fountain pen with a urushi finish called "ishime-ji-nuri", stone-surface-lacquer.
In Japanese culture, art and craft, stones have always played an important role.
Stones have been highly appreciated for their quality "shitsu" shape "katachi", colors "iro", surface structures "hada-ai".
Stones have been used to create wonderful gardens and have been collected in rivers around Japan just for aesthetic purposes.
Stone surfaces or "ishimeji" you can find on all kind of things like cast iron tea brazers and pots and you can find ishimeji on countless lacquer objects.
Ceramic glaces are related to stones, fo example the color and surface structure of "bizen" ceramic is compared to "kurama-ishi", stones found in the Kurama-River, black raku ceramic represent the jet-black glace and color of "kurama-ishi", stones from Kurama-River and "kamuikotan-ishi", stones from Hokkaido.
Red "aka-ishimeji" refers to "Sado-Akadama-Ishi", red jasper stones found on Sado-Island.
There is a Japanese art form called "suiseki", the art of stone appreciation.
Those interested in this unique art can download a e-book I have written several years ago, "Suiseki and the unique view on Nature in Japan"
http://www.manupropria-pens.ch/welcome/News/Suiseki_and_the_unique_view_on_Nature_in_Japan.htm l

Enjoy weekend

Martin

sitsi
September 26th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Great introduction. Thank you. It's a shame I can't see the pictures, I don't know why.

Manupropria
September 26th, 2015, 08:28 AM
Hi Sitsi,
Can't see the pictures? Maybe your browser?
You can see theme lso here http://www.manupropria-pens.ch/welcome/Collection/_Shibui__Fountain_Pen_Collection/_Shibui__Fountain_Pens/Aka-Ishimeji___Urushi.html
Cheers,

Martin

Laura N
September 26th, 2015, 09:21 AM
Thank you, as always. I look forward to going through the book, too.

I know I keep saying this, but I really appreciate your posts. Your work is beautiful, and your writing is always illuminating.