PDA

View Full Version : Flea market find

Sidmind
October 20th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I just signed up for the forum last week as I have been interested in finding myself a nice fountain pen. I have been reading and learning. Today I got what's would say is extremely lucky.
The guy was asking $25. And I offered $20. Lol, I would have paid the $25.. :)

II looks similar to the meisterstuck 149 sold on the retail website but the nib is only 14k. So are these solid 14k? Or just plated?
From reading, it appears I can't really find the age... Is that true? Perhaps a general date range by the fact It is 14k I stead of 18k like the ones sold today?..

Also. It is engraved with someone's initials, is it possible to redo that? I think the clip is only plated. So I assume I would have to sand it out and have it re-plated? Any other ideas?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/crabbypatty/pens/301e8d11f8ff5da104225163263ca5b2.jpg

I was surprised it was in the box. There are three plastic clip things below the black silk. Only one is attached. The other two are loose. Is there a way to fix that without destroying the silk?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/crabbypatty/pens/edb086aed2a95934c8cc02db3ea27d37.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/crabbypatty/pens/0160685f589719d568170cc6aacf25fd.jpg

jar
October 20th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

That looks like a Montblanc 144 and looks to be genuine. Some better pictures of the feed, clip and internals might help determine its approximate age. The 144 was a very nice little pen.

Sidmind
October 20th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Are these good enough?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/crabbypatty/pens/e10061b73405c69e01be91893d4ded8e.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/crabbypatty/pens/7ca32a4feb5156d4095c809fb0ed753f.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/crabbypatty/pens/2e8fe0a9357aaa57842aeee0596ae679.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/crabbypatty/pens/131c39dfd4a6f98fcc78cdfa86b932f6.jpg

jar
October 20th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Looks pretty good, likely authentic. The inner cap needs some major cleaning before you put stuff back together and also clean out the cap. Looks like mid age, late 80s early 90s 144.

KrazyIvan
October 20th, 2012, 07:02 PM
You have earned the "Sumgai" title. Please collect $100 and move past Go.

Sidmind
October 20th, 2012, 08:04 PM
What about the engraving on the clip? Am I screwed without a re-plate and spending some bucks?

Or is there a simple cheap method? I would think the gold plate is not very thick,,, so sanding is not an option with out sending it off,

Sidmind
October 20th, 2012, 08:17 PM
As far as the "sumgai" title I love that. I am also a straight razor collector and active forum member on the SRP forums. I was a little Leary posting here, as you guys don't know me. And I know how it goes with new guys... Lol

Thanks for all the help btw. I am always antique shopping for razors to resell and thought it would be nice to add a few more items like pens. I have to convince me wife to let me keep this one, as its my first. :) I started out just looking for a decent fountain pen to use in my new promotion at work, I finally got my own office and desk. Thought I need a good pen to do all the paper work involved. When I told my wife I could flip it for profit she is convinced I have to do that instead.. Now I just have to convince her otherwise.

Well that's my story so far, so you know a few things about me...

manoeuver
October 21st, 2012, 07:20 AM
An engraved pen already has a story. Don't wreck it, enjoy it. Have fun with that pen, it's a beauty.

Sidmind
October 21st, 2012, 11:25 PM
I have been reading up a lot today on the montblanc pens, I was very interested in the information about all the fakes which is a little scary, In My straight razor hobby I never have to worry about things like that.

Question..
Should I use only the Mantblanc brand ink in this? I live in a small town in the middle of no where, the only store locally which I can think of that might sell ink will be Hobby Lobby, will it be 'good enough' ?

jar
October 22nd, 2012, 06:45 AM
I have been reading up a lot today on the montblanc pens, I was very interested in the information about all the fakes which is a little scary, In My straight razor hobby I never have to worry about things like that.

Question..
Should I use only the Mantblanc brand ink in this? I live in a small town in the middle of no where, the only store locally which I can think of that might sell ink will be Hobby Lobby, will it be 'good enough' ?

Yes, there are lots of fake Montblancs but the Parker pens are probably the ones that get faked most often. Some fakes are close enough visually that unless you have the real thing right there for comparison you can be fooled. Of course, even the best fakes don't pay attention to materials and internals though and so seldom stand the test of time.

On inks, be wary of any at Hobby Lobby. They sell inks meant to be used with dip pens and brushes and so usually not good for fountain pens. But you should be able to use any fountain pens inks. Your pen uses the standard international size cartridge so any cartridges for Waterman or Pelikan should do jess fine and an office supply store usually has those.

snedwos
October 22nd, 2012, 07:05 AM
+1 for leaving the engraving, it's part of the pen's history. And it sounds like you may be better off buying ink online. That's a very lucky buy, I am extremely envious.

fountainpenkid
October 22nd, 2012, 03:54 PM
nice find!!

Sidmind
October 22nd, 2012, 08:58 PM
FPK, thank you

Question, instead of starting a new thread, I can't seem to find the forum rules. Example do you guys allow me to ask dumb newb questions like "how much is it worth". We don't allow those questions n the other forums I belong to. I am just trying to figure this forum out... Reading the rules is step one. Odd I am either dumb or I just can't find them,

jar
October 22nd, 2012, 09:02 PM
FPK, thank you

Question, instead of starting a new thread, I can't seem to find the forum rules. Example do you guys allow me to ask dumb newb questions like "how much is it worth". We don't allow those questions n the other forums I belong to. I am just trying to figure this forum out... Reading the rules is step one. Odd I am either dumb or I just can't find them,

A 144 like you found is probably worth $125-150.00, take off a little for the engraving.

babbaboooey
October 22nd, 2012, 09:24 PM
Its a 144. 1985-1990. The feed section is of that era.

Sidmind
October 24th, 2012, 08:35 PM
I have two questions please.

1). The local staples has Parker quink, will it be ok?

2) a buddy at work has a few FP's he claims my new Montblanc is scratchy. his seemed smooth like glass when I tested it, and mine did feel scratchy. Of course I didn't notice it when it was the first and only one I had written with.

I have a 45x lighted loupe and have not noticed and thing wrong with the tip. But improbably don't know what I am looking for. . Anything I can do? Or is it normal?

Edit: googling nib repair and the first article I found mentioned micro mesh, I have that, along with some of the smoothest and finest sharpening stones that good money can buy, (one of my hobbies is collecting vintage razor Hones and sharpening stones as well as selling them on the bay). I have several thousand stones of every type Imaginable. I know a thing or two about getting scratches out of metal.. Will any of that help me? I am a do it your self kind of guy,

jar
October 24th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Quink is fine. Judge the pen on day two but yes, the ines could be misaligned. See if it is scratchy in just one direction.

Sidmind
October 26th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I have found the problem is alignment perhaps the pen has been dropped on the nib, as there is a defined mis-alignment problem, I have been trying to follow some of the directions to get them lined up, I am afraid I am just going to make it worse. I have read that sending it off will cost $150. Is that true?

jar
October 26th, 2012, 09:05 PM
No, not right.

If you sent it to Montblanc for service it would probably cost about $80.00, however they will completely service the pen and you'll get one back that is almost like new (they won't likely change the engraving). If you send it someone like Mike (http://www.mikeitwork.com/) or Danny (http://www.thewritepen.net/) it would likely cost about $15.00 - $30.00.

Sidmind
October 27th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Thank you, I believe I will contact one of them.

jar
October 27th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Danny will likely have the fasted turn around.

Dee8go
November 2nd, 2012, 03:11 PM
Great find! I usually buy pens from dealers or at pen shows like the one they have here in Washington, DC every August. Honestly, I don't know enough about them to buy from flea markets or estate sales, but would like to. I would be very happy with a find like that!

Inginkpen
March 23rd, 2013, 09:19 AM
Lucky find! I was to go antiquing with you!

CS388
April 26th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Well done, Sidmind, you got a bargain there. Very nice.

The engraving is a personal choice thing. It doesn't look too noticeable from the photograph? I'm not a fan of engravings, but I think I could live with that one. As I said, personal choice - but I'd be surprised if it could be removed without a re-plate. Costly, I'd guess?

However, in my opinion, the tines look to be nicely aligned in your photograph, indeed the nib looks good.
Could the scatchiness be caused by flow issues?
If the pen hadn't been used for a while, dried up ink in the feed channels could cause flow problems replicating a dry/scratchy feel.
Before you send it off anywhere and spend money on it, I'd try flushing and flushing and flushing. Then fill it with a nice wet ink and knock out a few pages of writing - or just scribble - and see if things smooth out.

Good luck.

pajaro
April 28th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Your section is the kind that takes the newer screw-in converter, smoky color transparency. The clear ones are for the older plastic section and is a push-in converter. If you have converter fit or leaking issues you will want to buy the newer converter. You can find them in a lot of places. Shop for best price.