PDA

View Full Version : Conklin Nozac

RayCornett
September 29th, 2015, 03:55 AM
I know it's a silly question but are there spare parts anywhere? Also, is the nib/feed unit friction fit or threaded?

pengeezer
September 29th, 2015, 12:50 PM
You might check ebay for spare parts(or other Nozacs)....I assume you're talking about vintage.

John

RayCornett
October 1st, 2015, 09:24 AM
You might check ebay for spare parts(or other Nozacs)....I assume you're talking about vintage.

John

Yes vintage. 30s. Beautiful pen. I do keep an eye on Ebay but never seen parts. Just the pens themselves.

AltecGreen
October 1st, 2015, 10:10 AM

John

Yes vintage. 30s. Beautiful pen. I do keep an eye on Ebay but never seen parts. Just the pens themselves.

You can buy pens on eBay and harvest the parts. This is what people do. Alternatively, you'll have to contact someone in the collecting circles who specializes in Conklins and hope they will help you. Parts are out there but you have to be plugged into the community and build contacts. You really should try making it to one of the big shows. It is a way to find parts, learn where parts are, and who might help. It gets harder when you move to pens like a Nozac versus something common like a Parker 21. In the meantime, try contacting Pete Kirby.

RayCornett
October 1st, 2015, 12:52 PM

John

You can buy pens on eBay and harvest the parts. This is what people do. Alternatively, you'll have to contact someone in the collecting circles who specializes in Conklins and hope they will help you. Parts are out there but you have to be plugged into the community and build contacts. You really should try making it to one of the big shows. It is a way to find parts, learn where parts are, and who might help. It gets harder when you move to pens like a Nozac versus something common like a Parker 21. In the meantime, try contacting Pete Kirby.

I sadly had a big move to deal with right as the pen show was going on. I had planned since last year to go. As for plugging into the community and such,,,this is what I am doing :)

AltecGreen
October 1st, 2015, 05:43 PM
I sadly had a big move to deal with right as the pen show was going on. I had planned since last year to go. As for plugging into the community and such,,,this is what I am doing :)

The pen community is pretty broad. Forums like FPN and FPGeeks only represent a small fraction of the community. The part of the community that deals with pens like the Nozac are for the most part absent from the online forums. These days some of those people play on Facebook in one of several groups dedicated to vintage pens. For the most part, the community I am talking about do things the old fashion way. A lot is based on back channel communications like picking up the phone and calling or e-mail. Pen shows are important since this is where that community meet in person.

RayCornett
October 4th, 2015, 04:59 AM

John

Where can I find Pete? I don't see him on here or Facebook. I have yet to look on the other FP sites.

AltecGreen
October 4th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Farmboy said to ask him. :angel:

Pete does not frequent the forums or FaceBook. You can google Pete Kirby pens to find the link to his website.

RayCornett
October 4th, 2015, 09:31 PM
Farmboy said to ask him. :angel:

Pete does not frequent the forums or FaceBook. You can google Pete Kirby pens to find the link to his website.

Ah. I didnt add pens. Just his name on Google. No wonder I never found him :)

Thanks

Farmboy
October 8th, 2015, 08:46 PM
Pete is the largest collector of Conkilns in the hobby.

The part you seek if I read your description correctly is the aluminum bushings that go in the end of the barrel. Most of them are mush, rotted, or worn into multiple pieces. Usually they are held together with gunk.

You get one from a donor pen or you make one. Both expensive options. If it helps, everyone one seems different, there are a few different styles but they all seem different when you are working on one.

RayCornett
October 14th, 2015, 09:14 PM
I contacted Pete and he is now searching parts boxes. He seems to have the entire filler system(piston rod/screw and all) but not just the small piece I need to solder onto the back end of the piston. As of his first look around anyway. I could go the route of replacing the whole thing but that's not necessary. I am also trying to figure out whether is is a 5M or 7M size and from what he says the way to tell is to have one of the Nozac Word Gauge pens on hand to compare to.