PDA

View Full Version : Looking at vintage Pelikans

bluesea
October 2nd, 2015, 11:14 AM
Hi,
Was just looking at the vintage Pelican at thepenguinpen.com, and thinking I might go in that direction. I'd wish for an aesthetically very clean model, that is also mechanically fit enough to go into rotation with any contemporary pens.

- What year range should I be looking at?
- Would these below be appropriate? Green marble finish is my first choice --like the one on the left of the page below.

http://www.thepenguinpen.com/pelikan/detail/green100ns.jsp

- Will Rick send pics and further info of his pens?

tia

P.S. Although I'd prefer a F or EF, thoughts on this one at eBay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pelikan-100-N-14-KARAT-585-gold-nib-in-M-for-MEDIUM-/201437108722?hash=item2ee69659f2&autorefresh=true

jos
October 2nd, 2015, 12:03 PM
Hi,

Rick Propas is an outstanding seller and the undisputed expert of vintage Pelikan pens in North America. I am sure that he will provide you all the information that you desire.
Also the ebay auction that you refer to is from a trusted seller I think; I see him selling quality Pelikan pens since many years.

I have no affiliation with either seller.

bluesea
October 2nd, 2015, 04:52 PM
Hi,

Rick Propas is an outstanding seller and the undisputed expert of vintage Pelikan pens in North America. I am sure that he will provide you all the information that you desire.
Also the ebay auction that you refer to is from a trusted seller I think; I see him selling quality Pelikan pens since many years.

Thanks. Actually couple of my questions were answered simply by reading Rick's descriptions (what a concept, duh). Guess I might open up to a 50's green striped 400. Would have been very nice to have a working vintage celluloid 100N.

I should probably slow down, watch and learn for a while. I have no idea of half of the nib grinds he describes.

ChrisC
October 3rd, 2015, 07:27 AM
Rick has a rare Pelikan 100 in Green with a WW2 Palladium-nib. These nibs are very hard to find, almost impossible to find in the US. I've seen maybe 2 in the past several years on eBay. The nib is an Oblique medium that can be straightened to a M/B stub if needed. It is super smooth and has WET NOODLE FLEX, while still being controllable for daily writing.

The pen is mine, on commission to be sold~

Here's a writing sample I made before I gave it to Rick to sell for me:

bluesea
October 3rd, 2015, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the heads up Chris. Turns out I'll need to turn away from the 100's, since I'd prefer semi-flex for a day to day pen.

carlos.q
October 3rd, 2015, 03:48 PM
Hi,

Thanks. Actually couple of my questions were answered simply by reading Rick's descriptions (what a concept, duh). Guess I might open up to a 50's green striped 400. Would have been very nice to have a working vintage celluloid 100N.

I should probably slow down, watch and learn for a while. I have no idea of half of the nib grinds he describes.

This is a very good idea. When I started out with Pelikan pens I thought I would like fine nibs. Turns out I was very wrong. I was also caught up in all the semi-flex and flex thing, but it so happens, for my particular use and needs, a firmer nib is a lot more useful. I take a lot of quick notes during meetings and such and a firm nib turns out to be better than a flexy one. Naturally, if you want your pen for writing letters at your leisure a flexier pen is a lot nicer.

If you are lucky enough to live near a city that hosts a pen show I would recommend you go so you have the opportunity to try out what you like. There is another way of learning about nibs but it takes a lot more time and it is a lot more expensive.

bluesea
October 3rd, 2015, 08:44 PM
Hi,

This is a very good idea. When I started out with Pelikan pens I thought I would like fine nibs. Turns out I was very wrong. I was also caught up in all the semi-flex and flex thing, but it so happens, for my particular use and needs, a firmer nib is a lot more useful. I take a lot of quick notes during meetings and such and a firm nib turns out to be better than a flexy one. Naturally, if you want your pen for writing letters at your leisure a flexier pen is a lot nicer.

If you are lucky enough to live near a city that hosts a pen show I would recommend you go so you have the opportunity to try out what you like. There is another way of learning about nibs but it takes a lot more time and it is a lot more expensive.

Thanks. My needs in terms of flex seems to be inline with yours. I was under the impression that semi-flex would work out for me, but possibly not. Fwiw I'm pretty happy with the B nib on my Marine Blue M605. I can get away with a *tad* more flex, but wouldn't want anymore.