PDA

View Full Version : First moderately difficult nib straightening successful!

RayCornett
October 4th, 2015, 03:01 PM
I am sure some of the fountain pen users much more skilled at it than I am will think it is no big deal but it is to me. Especially since it would be probably a $200 or so nib to replace from what I have seen. The half moon nib for a Conklin Nozac.

As you will see one tine was bent inward toward the other tine, and downward a bit. Imagine your hands straight out side by side then bending the wrist so that the fingertips of one hand is touching the underside of your index finger. That is how this one was. I am used to fixing barely bent nibs that are bent up or down but this was a first. It took about 20 minutes of finessing it back into place but I got it there.

Chrissy
October 4th, 2015, 03:03 PM
You did a great job there. :) Please can you tell us exactly what you did?

dannzeman
October 4th, 2015, 03:36 PM
Looks fantastic! Well done!

RayCornett
October 4th, 2015, 03:50 PM
I placed something thin yet stiff between the tines, placed the nib down on its side(the good tine side) massaged it back into place using a toothpick with a broken off end on the side of the bent tine, not too much pressure, running the broken tip end up and down the entire length of the tine from tip to nib shoulder and slowly but surely it went into place. Now and then I would use the same motion with the side of the toothpick but I liked using the broken tip end as it allowed a groover to be formed after a few back and forths which sort of helped it not slip off along the way.

Chrissy
October 4th, 2015, 04:03 PM
I placed something thin yet stiff between the tines, placed the nib down on its side(the good tine side) massaged it back into place using a toothpick with a broken off end on the side of the bent tine, not too much pressure, running the broken tip end up and down the entire length of the tine from tip to nib shoulder and slowly but surely it went into place. Now and then I would use the same motion with the side of the toothpick but I liked using the broken tip end as it allowed a groover to be formed after a few back and forsths which sort of helped it not slip off along the way.

Thank you. :) That is a very big deal to me too. :thumb:

rdcalhoon
October 4th, 2015, 05:33 PM
Good to know it is possible if I am ever faced with a mangled nib.

RayCornett
October 4th, 2015, 05:55 PM
Good to know it is possible if I am ever faced with a mangled nib.

My nib was nothing compared to the disasters I have seen turned back into new looking nibs. Check out GoldNibs.com! Look at those before and afters!