PDA

View Full Version : Pen Cleaning Kit

Armstrong
October 10th, 2015, 06:31 PM
I completed my pen cleaning kit recently and thought I would show a photo.

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah294/armstr0ng/Pens/20151010PenCleanKit800_zpskjsz1pva.jpg

The cookie trays are teflon coated and do a great job of keeping spilled ink, small pen parts and such contained. The sides are low so they do not get in the way. The baby food jars are for holding pens and soaking nibs. The spray bottles are the heart of the system. The left contains home made pen flush. Pen flush is 10:1 distilled water and clear, nonsudsing ammonia. The right bottle holds distilled water. They are Rubbermaid profession series 32oz bottles and spray 3.3ml per squirt. So flushing and rinsing a pen is a fairly quick process with this setup. The nozzles are adjustable instead of the two fixed selections on many bottles (spray and stream). The adjustment is great for getting a spray inside the barrel of a pen body or focusing a stream on the nib and feed. The extra small jars make it easy to keep the cleaned and inky pens apart. So, if I have several pens to clean the jars keep the pens sorted and hold them while they dry.

This setup works well. I keep it sitting on top of the tool box where I store inks, nibs, micro mesh, etc. So it is always ready to go.

Crazyorange
October 10th, 2015, 07:00 PM
Cool kit. Thanks for sharing.

Chrissy
October 11th, 2015, 01:54 AM
Thank you for that. :) It's given me some fresh ideas. :thank_you2:

Armstrong
October 15th, 2015, 08:37 AM
Experimenting with the sprays I have found what I call a 'dirty stream' to be the most useful. Basically a nozzle position between mist and stream where the stream consists of a loose collection of drops. It spreads out enough to cover a feed or inside a body tube.