PDA

View Full Version : Lamy Lead Question

fountainpenkid
October 11th, 2015, 04:24 PM
My Lamy 2000 pencil just ran out of the leads that it came with, and so I bought some Pentel .7mm leads from the CVS. They don't seem to fit whatsoever, as the feeder hole itself is too small. I read here (http://davesmechanicalpencils.blogspot.com/2006/04/lead-size-hardness.html) that the diameter name (i.e .7 or .5mm) is not always a precise measurement of the actual lead size, that it can vary. Is this the case with Lamy? Or is my pencil really a mislabeled .5mm?

Thanks,

whych
October 11th, 2015, 05:34 PM
It should be 0.5 mm. The Lamy pencils I have both take 0.5mm leads.
0.5 mm should be a common lead size. Do you not have a stationery store nearby that you can go into and check?

fountainpenkid
October 11th, 2015, 09:13 PM
It should be 0.5 mm. The Lamy pencils I have both take 0.5mm leads.
0.5 mm should be a common lead size. Do you not have a stationery store nearby that you can go into and check?

It is a .7mm pencil; Lamy makes both .7mm and .5mm.

whych
October 12th, 2015, 01:09 AM
Go to a stationery store and try both sizes.
The pencil bore should be able to cope with variation in tolerance of the lead size. You don't have to use Lamy lead. Staedtler, Rotring, Pentel and others also do lead. Many like Pentel, offer different grades and a choice of graphite polymer in their leads.

If the lead you have doesn't fit, you may have 0.9 mm lead.

aderoy
November 6th, 2018, 12:34 PM
My Lamy 2000 pencil just ran out of the leads that it came with, and so I bought some Pentel .7mm leads from the CVS. They don't seem to fit whatsoever, as the feeder hole itself is too small. Is this the case with Lamy? Or is my pencil really a mislabeled .5mm?

The Lamy 2000 pencils comes in both 0.5 & 0.7 mm lead sizes. The easiest way to tell which one you have is look at the plunger cap - it will be laser 5 or 7. That is the version you have.

Also if you take the pencil body apart the metal tube should also have the lead size inked on it. ( at least for mine it does).

Good luck

myu
November 6th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Original question was from 2015 and the last post prior to the one made today was 2015... So, quite sure by now the OP got it resolved. :crazy_pilot:

https://i.postimg.cc/8zpxpxQZ/Dead-Thread-Noob-spell.png

Chrissy
November 7th, 2018, 03:04 AM
Hello aderoy and welcome to FPG. :welcome:

@myu Good picture. :)

At least both of the members who originally posted on the thread are still around. :)