PDA

View Full Version : Why so few Montblanc posts?

Gormley
April 23rd, 2010, 04:38 PM
Surely there must be at least a fan or two or three. This venerable brand has become somewhat controversial over the past several years by offering lots of bling, regularly scheduled price hikes, and a somewhat patrician service department. Still, there are many reasons to like the brand: iconic basic designs from the meisterstuck series, piston fillers, and among the best B and BB nibs out there. Doesn't anyone else like them?

dannzeman
April 23rd, 2010, 05:39 PM
Oh, you'll find there are a couple of us that like Montblanc very much (myself included!). I have three 146's and one 149, hopefully that'll change next weekend after the Chicago show. I know eriquito has a vintage MB, a 242G I believe.
I suppose the reason there aren't very many MB posts is because no one has anything interesting to say about them at the moment.

Kelly G
April 23rd, 2010, 08:09 PM
I'm not a big MB fan but neither am I in the "must hate MB" club. The pen that hooked me in my adult fountain pen phase was a MB 144 that my wife bought for me sixteen years ago or so. I still have the pen though I rarely use it. Nothing against it at all, but with too many pens to choose from, it just doesn't make it to the rotation - I guess it is retired.

I wouldn't turn down a 149 on a great deal, but it wouldn't be my first priority right now.

stevlight
April 25th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I LOVE the MB 149--it is my favorite pen--I have 9!! All different nibs and draw with all of them. Their new ink bottles and Oyster gray ink is great.

SProctor
April 25th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Oyster gray?

SProctor
April 26th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I guess this will be one of those that are asked and answered:

I had heard that there were some new Montblanc colors...including a new brown that I really wanted to check out. I guess I wasn't aware there was a new gray/grey until the post above. Since seeing the post I've checked around the internet and found a great review on FPN of the Oyster Gray. Since I already have several other grays, like Sailor's, Noodler's, Diamine's and J.Herbin's... it seems to be one of my colors of choice lately. Needless-to-say, I'll be acquiring some of this one as soon as I can locate some place state-side to order it from...

Many Thanks...

pmorin
May 5th, 2010, 10:50 PM
FWIW - the new MB Toffee is a great brown - a coffee dregs/caramel colour. Nice and dark in a wet nib, and shades well in a stub/broad. I just picked some up. I also received a postcard from a friend who used it in a flex nib - really shows the shading potential. It is becoming a favourite of my browns.

SProctor
May 6th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Welcome to FPGeeks pmorin!

I am so excited for just that very reason. I have a bottle of the MB brown on the way and that is just the reason that I wanted it! Not sure why I find it interesting and cool looking but several months ago I discovered the world of shading with a bottle of Noodler's Golden Brown and a Mabie Todd Flexible Stub and since then I cannot seem to get enough of it, especially for my correspondence...

As for the Gray, I too am a big fan of the stuff also and can't wait to try Montblanc's version out...

In my book, Montblanc couldn't have picked two better colors to come out with than these though I reserve final judgment until after I've given them both a good solid try...

peterpen53
February 19th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I am somewhat ambivalent about Montblanc. I have a Bernstein and a Solti, both with stubbish B nibs, and they are both very good and comfortable writers. The Edgar Allan Poe is a beautiful pen and a very nice writer. My 149, however, despite all the hype and its price point, has a very difficult to find writing sweet spot. And the Cervantes has great looks, but was otherwise a great disappointment and such a pen will have no lasting place in my collection. And that is why my interest in Montblanc cooled down a bit.
Nevertheless, to those who like and enjoy the brand: have fun!

Cheers,
Peter

KrazyIvan
February 19th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I dont own a MB but one day I might. Imagine my dismay when my father-in-law told me that the company he worked for over 20 years used to give him one every Christmas. He can't find any of them.

Tracy Lee
February 20th, 2012, 05:58 AM
My only available thoughts for Mont Blanc - meh. :p

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

dannzeman
February 21st, 2012, 11:21 AM
My only available thoughts for Mont Blanc - meh. :p

Tracy, just curious if you have any writing experience with a MB and which one(s)?

Also, Eric just picked up a new one at the LA Pen Show that he should be showing off...

Tracy Lee
February 22nd, 2012, 12:21 PM
Not a lot, I admit. I am not impressed with their quality when I handle them, and they are way too fragile for my world. I also haven't seen many that I find physically pleasing in either shape or color. Just not my thing. Like Omas. Some look okay but something doesn't appeal to me and they are too light to be taken seriously. I like a good heavy pen.

peterpen53
February 22nd, 2012, 02:08 PM
On behalf of my Omas line-up: no offense, but if you like a good heavy pen, try a new-style Paragon, the one with the HT trim. It's not really heavy, at least not for its size, but enough to feel you really have something in your hand. And mine writes like a dream. And its lighter cousins write just as well.

Cheers,
Peter

Tracy Lee
February 22nd, 2012, 10:15 PM
Peter, so glad I don't offend! Pens seem to be a lot like jewelry. Such a personal taste and need driven item, different from one to the next. I will have to handle this pen you speak of as I am always open. The Omas has great designs so no issues there. Have you posted pics of your babies yet? Would LOVE to see the collection! :D

peterpen53
February 23rd, 2012, 10:59 AM
I'm with you, Tracy Lee, on that fountain pens are a matter of highly personal taste and requirements. On the one hand I really like my Conway-Stewarts (don't ask, picture coming!), and I like big pens, but on the other hand there is something about a CS Churchill's clip that I simply don't like.
Also for quite some years I held a job where writing up files and reports was a major part of my day until personal computers really broke through in my profession (and that's really only 15 years ago), so the writing capabilities of a pen were very important to me. And I still don't go for pens that are really jewelry-like, however beautiful they may be (and they can be!). But as always there are a few exceptions to confirm the rule!

So here are my brown Wellington, the teal Nelson Heritage and a honey-noire 100 Series.

I'll be working on those Omas pictures. Perhaps I should post those in a new thread.

Cheers,
Peter

lovemy51
May 22nd, 2012, 11:58 AM
i picked up a model 124 about a month ago and fell in love with it. i'm not a fan of MB, but i do like that classic resin body, metal cap, inlaid nibs of the old models (e.g. 124, 224).

snedwos
September 6th, 2012, 04:25 AM
I tended to steer clear of MB pens, since I saw them as big, fat things that were far too expensive. Since I;ve got into pens properly I have come to appreciate a pen with girth, and the meisterstuck line has become interesting all of a sudden. (thanks for nothing, FPGeeks...) The 149 is still too big for me to consider paying 600 euros for, But a 146 looks like it would be a great purchase for me. I cry every time I see the price tag on the Picasso.

JustDaveyB
September 6th, 2012, 05:04 AM
I tended to steer clear of MB pens, since I saw them as big, fat things that were far too expensive. Since I;ve got into pens properly I have come to appreciate a pen with girth, and the meisterstuck line has become interesting all of a sudden. (thanks for nothing, FPGeeks...) The 149 is still too big for me to consider paying 600 euros for, But a 146 looks like it would be a great purchase for me. I cry every time I see the price tag on the Picasso.

I am the same with the Alfred Hitchcock - love the pen but the price tag is close to my years total FP expenditure.

outbackpengeek
September 6th, 2012, 06:39 AM
I have a '60s vintage Monblanc 22, which is a really nice little piston filler. The only modern Montblanc product I have is a bottle of the limited edition Hitchcock red ink...I like that so much that I'm going to buy more just to stockpile some.

dannzeman
September 6th, 2012, 07:14 AM

Have you considered buying used? That's the only way I have and will continue to buy any 146's or 149's.

JustDaveyB
September 6th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I have a '60s vintage Monblanc 22, which is a really nice little piston filler. The only modern Montblanc product I have is a bottle of the limited edition Hitchcock red ink...I like that so much that I'm going to buy more just to stockpile some.

The Alfred Hitchcock Red ink is a great shade of red I bought a bottle the other day along with Carlo Collodi Brown.

peterpen53
September 7th, 2012, 03:52 AM
I cry every time I see the price tag on the Picasso.

I can only hope you stopped looking.

I am the same with the Alfred Hitchcock - love the pen but the price tag is close to my years total FP expenditure.

I'm with you. I spent the last week in Germany and I stopped by at three really good pen shops (no MB boutiques). They all had the Hitchcock on display. Makes it really difficult not to get envious of those of us who have one.

Agreed. I love my 70s 121 and I did the same with the Hitchcock ink. Best red ink ever.

snedwos
September 8th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Have you considered buying used? That's the only way I have and will continue to buy any 146's or 149's.

Of course. I've never been to a pen show, I expect I'd find something there. But since I have no money at the moment anyway, I just resort to hoping that someone will take leave of their senses just long enough to give me one. Or both.

"Continue to buy"... I think these are pens I would only ever get one of. And use forever, then pass on.

ballboy
October 31st, 2012, 10:10 AM
Both 146 and 149 are nice pens indeed, but I wouldn't say they rule my collection, merely complement it. SBRE Brown's YouTube review on the 149 vs the Jinhao 159 was interesting enough to persuade me to get a couple off ebay today. I look forward to comparing them.