PDA

View Full Version : Converting Waterman Kultur into an eyedropper?

butyougotmysoul
October 15th, 2015, 06:55 PM
I guess my main question is - has anyone here done this? I'm new to the idea of altering pens to make them into eyedroppers, and this particular pen has lost it's converter. I already have some silicone grease and some o-rings...

Anyone have advice?

Thanks in advance!:)

pajaro
October 15th, 2015, 08:27 PM
Why not get another converter?

butyougotmysoul
October 15th, 2015, 09:11 PM
A new converter costs money. I already have supplies on hand to do a conversion, however if it is prudent to buy the converter, I will do so. I was wondering if anyone had tried the conversion and how it went. I don't want to wreck the pen if a conversion will not be a good thing for this particular pen.

Jon Szanto
October 15th, 2015, 09:18 PM
The only way it would "ruin" the pen is if there are metal parts, specifically those that could rust or corrode, inside the barrel. I don't believe there are, but have never owned a Kulture. If it were the big brother, the Phileas, you definitely wouldn't do it, because there is a brass barrel insert for added weight.

So, barring that, it probably isn't a problem. Just a big mess. A converter is only a couple bucks, and a *lot* less messy. Give it some thought.

butyougotmysoul
October 15th, 2015, 09:25 PM
Thank you for the response. I believe I recognize your username from reddit! You helped me out with my Phileas issue. Haha, thank you once again for your help on all things Waterman.

Jon Szanto
October 15th, 2015, 09:26 PM
Thank you for the response. I believe I recognize your username from reddit! You helped me out with my Phileas issue. Haha, thank you once again for your help on all things Waterman.

The least I can do - Phileas was my first "good" fountain pen, many, many, @#%$^ years ago! :)

U56rh
March 16th, 2016, 09:03 PM
There are no problems turning a kultur into an eyedropper. I've done this with a little silicon grease. I didn't see a need for an o-ring, so that part wasn't attempted. The barrel stores a huge amount of ink, which is great. I have to say though, I eventually switched back to a converter because it became wetter than I wanted.

pajaro
March 17th, 2016, 11:55 AM
There are no problems turning a kultur into an eyedropper. I've done this with a little silicon grease. I didn't see a need for an o-ring, so that part wasn't attempted. The barrel stores a huge amount of ink, which is great. I have to say though, I eventually switched back to a converter because it became wetter than I wanted.

It's interesting that the pen wrote wetter as an eyedropper.

Sid the Cat
April 6th, 2018, 09:41 AM
Interesting. I’m thinking of possibly doing something similar with a Lady Elsa, which has a very meager ink flow.

pajaro
April 6th, 2018, 10:33 AM
I have a couple of old eyedroppers that are black hard rubber. The trouble with them is that they write OK for a while, and then at some point in the ink level they start to burp. Topping them off seemed to help, but I don't know if that made sense or was advisable. Silicone grease seemed to be neutral in effect and not a fix. At worst you can clean up the mess.

I have experimented with different inks in the Kulturs I have, using a converter or filling a cartridge via syringe, and I have found that a somewhat wet ink like Sailor dark blue or one of Sailor's purples works better in a Kultur, in a cartridge or in a converter, than drier inks.