PDA

View Full Version : Conway Ink Pencil No 125 Review

grandmia
October 27th, 2012, 02:01 AM
Hi All
Here we have a superb example of a Conway Ink Pencil No 125 for you...Enjoy....

http://youtu.be/hUdVZPwJ7Rc

CS388
April 27th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Thank you very much. Very interesting instrument.

I completely understand you not inking it, a rare find in it's unused condition. I'm sure that some collector will thank you for your restraint.

Yet, I'd be fascinated to see how it writes. Might have to try and grab one, myself!
Wondering if it's a sort of early ballpoint - minus the ball? But re-fiilable with ink!
What is the 'nib'? Is it a hollow piece of wire? Does the feed actually feed, or does it simply hold the 'nib' in place?
(Too many questions. No need for answers, just musing.)

I guess it comes from an age when FPs were still (kind of) new, so people were still experimenting.
Who knows, if this had caught on, we may have had ink pencil forums and someone may have posted a FP review and we'd all be looking at it and thinking -"Huh? So how does that work?"

Interesting item, though. Thanks for posting.

Enjoy.

KrazyIvan
April 27th, 2013, 08:40 PM
Looks like A Pilot V5 needle point. :p

I can't reconcile an "ink pencil" in my mind. They are seemingly two different types of writing utensils.

Uncle Red
April 27th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Yes, these are more often called a Stylographic pen in the USA. I picked up an Inkograph 15M a little while ago.

Note the fine wire coming out of the tube

CS388
April 28th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Thanks, Uncle Red.

That fine wire looks quite delicate. Is it retractable? Or adjustable? Or spring-loaded?

Uncle Red
April 29th, 2013, 10:29 AM
The wire is retractable, when you put the tube against the paper the wire retracts allowing ink to flow down the tube. The early ones (1870 and later) are spring loaded, starting in the mid 20's you get weighted wires. Technical and drafting pens used to be stylographics but instead of rounding the end of the wire they were square cut so they'd be used straight up and down.

grandmia
May 2nd, 2013, 02:00 PM
Thank you for all your interests and for your helpful comments.

piscov
May 2nd, 2013, 02:14 PM
This is a great ink pencil. Superb condition!!!

This pens write very well. Funny thing, yesterday I fixed a very nice exemple of an Inkograph and two tintenkuli that later became a rotring brand.

I love this writing instruments.

But the one in your video us the best condition I've evet seen!

Br
Vasco

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

grandmia
May 8th, 2013, 10:30 AM
This is a great ink pencil. Superb condition!!!

This pens write very well. Funny thing, yesterday I fixed a very nice exemple of an Inkograph and two tintenkuli that later became a rotring brand.

I love this writing instruments.

But the one in your video us the best condition I've evet seen!

Br
Vasco

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you for your comments.