PDA

View Full Version : Parker 50 Falcon Nib Problem

wangminze
October 20th, 2015, 07:00 PM
Hey guys, the Falcon I recently bought finally arrived today! But the nib tines are misaligned with one tine higher than the other. This is totally killing the writing and causing a huge startup problem!
Is there anything I can do?
Thanks

Lady Onogaro
October 20th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Hi, wangminze,

You can try this if you are comfortable working on your own nibs. If not, send it to Dan Smith or another nibmeister.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cuKrDmvrHQ

wangminze
October 20th, 2015, 07:39 PM
Totally newbie question: Does the nib come off on a pen like this?

wangminze
October 20th, 2015, 08:17 PM
Hi, wangminze,

You can try this if you are comfortable working on your own nibs. If not, send it to Dan Smith or another nibmeister.

I tried pushing the lower side up and it's gotten better but still not perfect. It's definitely a scary experience!

Chrissy
October 20th, 2015, 08:47 PM
Totally newbie question: Does the nib come off on a pen like this?

No, it isn't intended to. Unless you're unlucky like I was once and the whole shell comes off inside the cap :(

I think that carefully working on the tines to get them level as suggested in the video link that Lady Onogaru found is the way to go.

wangminze
October 20th, 2015, 11:23 PM
For the maintenance of this pen...
Since its gold filled, what procedures should I take to keep the metal clean? Is anything going to happen to it if my hands sweat too much?
Thanks!

sharmon202
October 21st, 2015, 04:14 PM
I don't think I have heard much good about this nib.

wangminze
October 21st, 2015, 05:14 PM

I agree with you. It either sucks or it works. All in the luck of the draw. I love the weight and size. Might just get it worked on someday in the future.

Flounder
October 26th, 2015, 03:38 PM

I agree with you. It either sucks or it works. All in the luck of the draw. I love the weight and size. Might just get it worked on someday in the future.

I had a Parker 50, for about 3 days several years ago. Cleaning is a bit problematic, the collector is glued into the section IIRC. I didn't have a USC a the time, so just sent it back. A clogged feed would create flow problems too. Realigning tines is something I feel more comfortable using fingers, strong light, and a good louple, rather than the technique shown in that jetpens clip btw.

Giovanni Abrate
October 26th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Before doing anything, please read this article.

http://www.newpentrace.net/articleGA04.html

wangminze
October 26th, 2015, 06:53 PM
Even though the nib is a bit troubling, this is still my first Parker and a gold one at that! It look so nice I can't decide what I want to do with it! Since I'm not really a collector, I try to buy pens that I will use. So sadly, I might end up posting this one on eBay.
Thanks you guys for the help.

Scrawler
October 27th, 2015, 10:10 PM

I have an English made Stainless one which is dry and scratchy, and I have a US made brown one which is quite delightful, wet and smooth. Others I have let try them agree that one is not nice and the other is really really nice.

wangminze
October 27th, 2015, 10:15 PM
I have an English made Stainless one which is dry and scratchy, and I have a US made brown one which is quite delightful, wet and...

Thanks for sharing you experience Scrawler. While I am sad to part with this pen, I will be listing on eBay over the weekend. I'm trying to fund for a Pelikan right now. I'd like to get an M805, the ones with silver trim I believe, but they seem to be much more expensive than the M800 with the gold trim.