PDA

View Full Version : A small collection of small Kaweco Sports

migo984
October 23rd, 2015, 06:15 AM
A few Kaweco Sports. No rhyme or reason to my choices - I just like them.

sgtstretch
October 23rd, 2015, 06:49 AM
Is the 3rd in from the left the new metallic berry/purple one?

migo984
October 23rd, 2015, 07:25 AM
Is the 3rd in from the left the new metallic berry/purple one?

Yes it is. Purple is a real wotsit to photograph correctly - I'd say the pic is very slightly more ruby-toned than reality. It's a really lovely colour, with a nice metallic sheen and glossy finish.

The 2nd from the left is the Cognac. It's very similar to the Cognac Pelikan.

penwash
October 23rd, 2015, 08:48 PM
May I join?

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/639/22435161641_c4984fcc56_c.jpg

Someday I'll get the metal bodies.

Lady Onogaro
October 23rd, 2015, 10:42 PM
I like the cognac and the berry color, but since I bought an amethyst ArtSport, I think I will hold off on the violet and purple ones.

sharmon202
October 24th, 2015, 03:48 AM
I am similar to Migo. Beside the Art Sport set I have 3 or 4 more. I do not understand why I keep doing this. The nibs are a bit inconsistent in wetness and a fine or EF are not always the same nib to nib. Handy for work, I do not worry about keeping the regular ones in pristine condition. An odd little pen and an odd reaction to my purchasing. I have not fallen for the stonewashed trick (yet).

penwash
October 24th, 2015, 07:32 AM
I am similar to Migo. Beside the Art Sport set I have 3 or 4 more. I do not understand why I keep doing this. The nibs are a bit inconsistent in wetness and a fine or EF are not always the same nib to nib. Handy for work, I do not worry about keeping the regular ones in pristine condition. An odd little pen and an odd reaction to my purchasing. I have not fallen for the stonewashed trick (yet).

Same here, when I first saw these pens, I thought, who would buy those awkward-looking pen. But after holding it in my hand, I started to think about them more. Even in plastic, the pen is strangely reassuring when used. I would have bought the stonewashed version if it were not for my meager beginner "budget" :D

Bogon07
October 25th, 2015, 09:44 PM
What a nice collection of Sports.
The Cognac & metallic purpleberry are alternate twins to your Pelikans M200s.
Is the stub on the silver AL, Mr Murfie's work or a factory job ?

You may need to add a Brass to the collection. It could feel too heavy but I find you soon get used to the weight.

Penwash - nice chocolate brown. It looks edible.

Jon Szanto
October 26th, 2015, 12:10 AM
I don't know what model/finish the one on the very left is (in the first photo), but that one certainly catches my eye.

For those of you that have bought these repeatedly: how is the QC on the nibs? If I were to pop for one of these cute little pens, am I reasonably assured of good writing from the start, or am I going to have to screw around with it?

sharmon202
October 26th, 2015, 03:11 AM
I don't know what model/finish the one on the very left is (in the first photo), but that one certainly catches my eye.

For those of you that have bought these repeatedly: how is the QC on the nibs? If I were to pop for one of these cute little pens, am I reasonably assured of good writing from the start, or am I going to have to screw around with it?

Hope Migo does not mind if I answer this. The pen on the left is the Art Sport Amber. Not an official part of the set, they only made a few, do not know how many.
As to QC, in my experience all tines have been aligned enough. The inconsistency has been an F is different between pens, EF also. I have a B & M but have not written with them so I cannot say there. What I can say is I like these pens. Some do not like the "converters available but I change ink often so I do not want a long lasting amount of ink in my pens, generally. Most are inexpensive enough to think about trying one.

Laura N
October 26th, 2015, 06:34 AM

I'm no expert, but in my experience the QC on the nibs is on par with the Lamy Safari or TWSBI, except that Kaweco Sport nibs are much easier to adjust, if necessary. I've seen a few nibs that have been dry writers out of the box, but that was easily fixed.

Waltman
October 26th, 2015, 06:39 AM
I agree with Laura. I own five Kawecos and they all wrote well out of the box.

migo984
October 26th, 2015, 07:52 AM

As Sandy said, the one on the far left is the Amber Art Sport - they're hard to find.

Re nibs, none of mine have been dry writers. The 1.5 on the AL Raw is positively wet. One or two have need slight adjustments (smoothing) for scratchiness but very minor tweaks that took seconds. Nothing of concern considering most models are usually low cost (but not low value-for-money) pens. I'm tempted to put a gold nib on the Amber - I'm keeping an eye on German eBay as bargains occasionally pop up.

Giovanni Abrate
October 26th, 2015, 01:27 PM
A vintage set, in the original box (and pouch):

http://s26.postimg.org/ukcsrbvix/KAWECO2.jpg

penwash
October 26th, 2015, 05:32 PM
That vintage Kaweco is actually a piston filler, isn't it? How cool!
Unlike our modern ones with fake "knob" at the end of the barrel.

Giovanni Abrate
October 26th, 2015, 06:10 PM
Yes, it is.
It is a wonderful pen.

http://s26.postimg.org/sh2djnvq1/KAWECO1.jpg

Waltman
October 27th, 2015, 06:57 AM
Beautiful set! I am envious!

Lady Onogaro
October 27th, 2015, 01:13 PM
I see that Goulet is expecting the new purple version.

penwash
October 27th, 2015, 06:48 PM
The stub 1.1 nib that I have on my Kaweco lays down a *lot* of ink.
Yet I can write just fine with a short cartridge. I wonder how did they design the feed to be able to keep up.

LHGordon
October 28th, 2015, 12:37 AM
I have the Amber ArtSport as well. I feel in love with it the first time I saw it on line, and it took a great deal of searching to actually find one - they were only manufactured for a rather short period of time. Mine came with the gold plated nib, and looks and writes great. The only downside is that the pocket clips tend to slide off the much higher grade plastic used for it, so I'm leery about taking it anywhere in my pocket. I have the Brass Sport as well, and while it's a bit heavy, it writes nicely and looks great, although the steel color nib is slightly disconcerting.

dksuri
November 10th, 2015, 07:42 PM
I am a thinking of purchasing one of these, I have never used a Fountain Pen before, what size nib would you all recommend me to start with? I have been debating between Kaweco Sport and Lamy Safari for sometime but I think I have made up my mind with the sport.

Sailor Kenshin
November 11th, 2015, 08:21 AM
I like the pale, aquamarine-ish color second to the far right!

Bob
May 27th, 2018, 09:51 PM

Do you still own the denim wash and the chrome ?

migo984
May 27th, 2018, 10:04 PM

Do you still own the denim wash and the chrome ?

Yes, I still have those - and a few new ones, including Sunrise, Naranja, Sage & Tabac :)

ethernautrix
May 28th, 2018, 01:00 AM
Sweet collection! I didn't pay attention to these pens until the stonewashed denim came out. By then, I was in my purge period of the fpen cycle. Never did circle back into bingeing. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd have a handful of these. That stonewashed denim still catches my eye, though.

Cyril
July 11th, 2018, 08:05 AM
Great collection !

migo984
July 11th, 2018, 09:33 AM
Great collection !

The collection has grown slightly since the original post :-)

Lady Onogaro
July 11th, 2018, 08:37 PM
Great collection !

The collection has grown slightly since the original post :-)

And now? Pictures?