PDA

View Full Version : Smooths as...

FP_GaF
October 29th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Having enquired about this quest(ion) in a rant I recently posted on the forums (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/1356-The-tipping-point) in which I lamented the decline of quality control in high-profile brands I would like to turn it into a separate post. The question and the quest is about the perception of smoothness when we reviewe and rate a pen or more specifically a nib.

One of the most important criteria in any fountain pen review is the performance of the nib. This includes size, flow, spring and SMOOTHNESS. But how does a smooth nib feel like? Of course, the perceived smoothness of a nib depends on point size, paper, ink (specifically lubrication) and not least the mood of the reviewer (oh yes, lets not fool ourselves and assume absolute objectivity).

But assuming that we have a standard setup (same paper, same ink) and account for the point size (fine nibs have more feedback than broader ones) when do we call a nib smooth. And when does smoothness turn into a negative characteristic of a nib?

I confess I am obsessed with smoothness. I get upset by the tiniest bit of feedback. I also realized that this depends heavily on my mood: if I am in a bad mood there is no such thing as a smooth nib. But even when I am relaxed I tend to think about feedback from the nib quite a lot.

I think it is because I have no real reference point to compare to that I become preoccupied with smoothness. So I just go for 100% smooth. But as has been pointed out before too much smoothing can actually be harmful. It makes a nib “uncontrollable”, a bit like the aquaplaning experienced with cars in heavy rain.

I think it was Greg Minuskin who said that he would go for 7/10 on smoothing avoiding “oversmoothing” the nib.

So, what is your opinion? Can you describe the experience of a perfectly smooth nib which has just the right amount of feedback for you? I am really interested in this question because I do not want to spend the rest of my fountain pens days worrying about the smoothness of my nibs.

Feedback highly welcome...

jar
October 29th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I don't think it much matters as long as the nib isn't tearing the paper.

Fountain pens are individuals and just like kids each will excel in one or more areas.

Vive la difference!

fountainpenkid
October 29th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I think a nib CAN be too smooth. There is a point when a nib is so smooth and ball tipped that it stops feeling like a fountain pen. Add a little flex, and you have a different story. I think flex nibs should be as smooth as humanly possible.

KrazyIvan
October 29th, 2012, 10:53 AM
I like slight feedback in a nib. Just enough so the nib does not skate.

FP_GaF
October 29th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I like slight feedback in a nib. Just enough so the nib does not skate.

Ahhh, "skating" is a very good word for that.

So, when a fountain pen nib "skates" is it then too close to a ballpoint pen?

And would you think that the right amount of feedback is comparable to a felt-tip pen or is that too "rough" already?

Your opinions are very much welcome.

FP_GaF
October 29th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Fountain pens are individuals and just like kids each will excel in one or more areas.

Vive la difference!

A nice thought. I like this approach.

KrazyIvan
October 29th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Ahhh, "skating" is a very good word for that.

So, when a fountain pen nib "skates" is it then too close to a ballpoint pen?

And would you think that the right amount of feedback is comparable to a felt-tip pen or is that too "rough" already?

Your opinions are very much welcome.

A ballpoint has enough resistance that it's not an issue, at least the ones I use (Unibal Jetstream). I think it is somewhere between what a felt tip would feel like and a smooth nib. I have roughed up nibs before on 600 grit wet/dry paper. Nothing extream, usually just one each of a downward stroke and horizontal stroke to rough the nib up if it is too smooth. Some may freak out with that last statement. :D I actually just did that with a Knox nib I purchased. It was REALLY smooth. The Nemosine .8mm italic, on the other hand, was rough. I fixed it withe the same paper plus a buff up with the finest grit on a buff stick.

Maja
October 29th, 2012, 08:08 PM
I had a fountain pen whose nib was just too smooth for me (a Sailor 1911M with a M---or was it B??---nib that was so smooth that I could barely feel the nib on the paper) so I traded the pen away. I originally bought the pen with a Zoom nib (which didn't suit my needs) and got the nib exchanged for the one above so I felt a bit guilty trading it away, but its new owner was very pleased so it all turned out fine (no pun intended ;)) in the end.

Lince
October 29th, 2012, 09:55 PM
I had one that was very smooth. A Lamy 2000. I smoothed it so much it began to whistle. So annoying. I had to give it a few passes on a not so high grade polish buff, to make it glide again without the hurrendus sound.