PDA

View Full Version : Montblanc 149 ink window issues

john_oshaughnessy@hotmail
October 26th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Hi, new member so forgive me if this has come up before. I couldn't find anything about it!
Recently I acquired a 1970s 149, upon close up inspection of the ink window it appears to have scratches or cracks on the inside, I can't tell which. I'm asking incase its a known issue that e.g. the piston scratches the inside of the ink window over time.

Thanks in advance if anybody can help!
John

(I've included a picture , but its taken from my phone so it isn't the best)

jar
October 26th, 2015, 02:24 PM
Unless the seal leaks, there is no problem. Fill it with water and let it sit nib up for a few days to see if there is any leakage at the turning knob.

mhosea
October 26th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Nothing to add except that you might be surprised what's "normal". You might find this thread on FPN (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/195503-mb-149-demonstrator/) interesting.

Chrissy
October 26th, 2015, 03:21 PM
I once asked this question in my local Montblanc boutique. The answer was that it's perfectly normal.

However, I have to say that yours looks a bit more pronounced and noticeable than mine does.

pajaro
October 26th, 2015, 07:14 PM
If you can't stand it, or if it leaks, send it to Montblanc service. For a fee they will fix it. Probably put your nib into a new pen.

If you send it to Montblanc, what will come back will likely be a new model pen with your nib. Likely it will have a brass piston in lieu of the 1970s piston. A lot of people don't want the new for the old, so be advised.

john_oshaughnessy@hotmail
October 27th, 2015, 08:02 AM
Thanks a lot for the advice, that's a weight off my chest, I can live with it if it isn't something major issue. I think I'll opt to keep the original piston for the time being.

pajaro
October 27th, 2015, 03:28 PM
The original resin piston is lighter than the brass piston.