PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review: Diamine Flowers set; Gerbera

Chrissy
October 27th, 2015, 10:46 AM
My latest ink is Diamine Gerbera from the Flowers Set. I decided I should try to complete reviewing the Flower set inks, as I have reviewed all of the Music set inks. I find the Flowers set consists of brightly coloured inks whereas the Music set are more muted. So maybe I'm not always in the mood to write with brightly coloured inks.

I decided to use Diamine Pumpkin, Caran d'Ache Infra Red and Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu-gaki as my comparison inks this time. Gerbera is a pinkish orangey shade, Pumpkin is bright orange, Caran d'Ache Infra Red is a pinkish scarlet red, and Pilot iroshizuku Fuyu-gakei is a salmon colour, unfortunately one that didn't come out as well on my scan as the others.

I cleaned out and refilled my orange Lamy Nexx M with it's 1.1mm nib for Gerbera, but I immediately found the ink dryer than Pumpkin. It didn't glisten and flow along the line while I was writing as Pumpkin did, and I felt like I had to work a little harder to write than I had with that orange ink. I was quite surprised at the difference. Maybe it needs a wetter pen? It's a nice colour though. Not saturated. I know some like less saturated inks. It's certainly easier on the eye than Pumpkin. :cool:

Although this isn't a waterproof ink, it shows reasonable water resistance for a relatively unsaturated ink.

Bearing in mind the paper I use is thick with a shiny surface, and I used a 1.1 stub nib, this ink took just 16-18 secs to dry.

I found this ink a bit on the dry side in this particular pen. However, I saw no skips or hard starts while I did swabs and dry time tests.

It is currently available in 30ml glass bottles within the Flowers gift set, or in 30ml plastic refill bottles from Diamine.

Diamine (http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/) sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.

rdcalhoon
October 27th, 2015, 02:27 PM
I am always happy to see ink reviews in the orange family. I almost always have a pen with an orange ink although I use it mostly for short notes and annotations.

I had seen Gerbera as an orange-tending pink rather than a pink-tending orange as you show here. Interesting how the pen and paper can change the perception of some inks.

You have kept this ink securely in my "This is not the ink you're looking for." category.

Chrissy
October 27th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Perhaps I should show drops of Pumpkin and Gerbera next to each other on a piece of kitchen towel to show their differences.

When I filled my pen and wrote with it I thought it was a orange-tending pink, but on the kitchen towel the blot next to Pumpkin was much more pinky orange than I thought. Thinking back to my days as a flower arranger, I think Gerbera's are this pinky orange shade.

I took more time than usual to get the on screen image to match the paper review. So it was as close as I could get it with Photoshop

Chrissy
October 29th, 2015, 04:44 PM
I've looked at my ink blots on kitchen paper, and I'm thinking that Gerbera is orange with more of a leaning towards red than Pumpkin has.

Gerbera on the left Pumpkin on the right.

nospam666
October 30th, 2015, 03:20 AM
I just wanted to say I'm enjoying all of your ink reviews.

Chrissy
October 30th, 2015, 04:24 AM
I just wanted to say I'm enjoying all of your ink reviews.

You're welcome. :)